Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Spliting file based on condition Post 302195552 by alamitab on Thursday 15th of May 2008 10:51:41 AM
Old 05-15-2008
cat file | awk '$4="04" { print $1 $2 $3 $4 }' > new_file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on some condition and naming them

I have a file given below. I want to split the file where ever I came across ***(instead you can put ### symbols in the file) . Also I need to name the file by extracting the report name from the first line which is in bold(eg:RPT507A) concatinated with DD(day on which the file runs). Can someone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivsn
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file based on condition

Hi Friends, Can any one help with this: I have a huge file with the format as A SAM 4637 B DEPT1 4758 MILAN A SMITH 46585 B DEPT2 5385 HARRYIS B SAMUL 63547 GEORGE B DANIEL 899 BOISE A FRES 736 74638 I have to read this file and write only the records that starts with "B" only ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spliting the line based on position.

i want to split a big line based on the position. example : I have a single line which has 2300 characters. i want to split from 1 character to 300th characters as first line and 301th to 600 as second line and 601th to 900 as third line ...till the end of the string. Can anyone help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving file to directory based on condition.

Can any one help me to correct following script. I have 2 directories DropZone and ProcessZone. File pattern is *VEHDESCSUM*. Finding the 'no of files' in DropZone directory using ls *VEHDESCSUM* |wc -l If DropZone has more than one file or 0 files then exit 1 If DropZone has one file then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramanagh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spliting file based field pattern

Hi all, i have file that looks like as below 2263881188,24570896,439,SOLO,SOLO_UNBEATABLE,E,+3.13,+0.00 2263881964,24339077,439,SOLO,SOLO_UNBEATABLE,F,-0.67,+0.00 2263883220,22619162,228,Bell,Bell_MONTHLY,E,-2.04,+0.00 2263883220,22619162,228,Bell,Bell_MONTHLY,F,-2.04,+0.00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move input file based on condition

Hello, I have File1 in a directory A, a File2 in a directory B. If the File2 is not empty Then I have to move File1 from directory A to a directory archive Else no action. Is it possible to do this from one command line? Thank you in advance for your answers. Madi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngelMady
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I change file value based on condition

Hi, Gurus, I got a problem to resolve following issue: I have one file file1as following: start_dt=2010-01-01 12:00:02 start_dt=2011-01-01 09:00:02 start_dt=2009-01-01 11:00:02I have another file file2 as following: title1, 2010-01-03 10:00:02 title2, 2011-01-04 11:00:02 title3,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding data from a file based on some condition

I collect data in a file in below format(Month Day Year Size) in RedHat Linux. Now i want to calculate the data size date wise. As i code shell script after long time, i forgot the features and syntax. Can anyone help me regard this please. Feb 8 2014 15 Feb 10 2014 32 Feb 10 2014 32 Feb 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines from file based on condition

I want to keep last 2 days data from a file and want to delete others data from the file. Please help me. Sample Input # cat messages-2 Apr 15 11:25:03 test1 kernel: imklog 4.6.2, log source = /proc/kmsg started. Apr 15 11:25:03 test1 rsyslogd: (re)start Apr 16 19:42:03 test1 kernel:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join fields in a same file based on condition

I have an input file like this... All iI want to do is If the lines are identical except for the last field i want to merge them into single line input_file I feel something is nothing I feel something is everything apple mango banana apple mango grapes I want to get output like this:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_k
3 Replies
split(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(n), list(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(n)