Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to compare null and space using single if condition Post 302195465 by Franklin52 on Thursday 15th of May 2008 06:53:07 AM
Old 05-15-2008
Try this:

Code:
awk -F "," '
{s=$0;gsub(" ", "")}
/""/{print "With blanc field: "s;next}1' temp.txt

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare null with non-null

I've got a very peculiar situation. I'm trying to find out if we can compare null fields with non-null. I've output csv files from SQL and Oracle. I need to compare each field from the files, and then find out any differences. The files usualy have over 500 fields, and send the resule to DBA.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can find Null value in If condition

Hi, i wrote If Conditions in my script, it's returns null and some values. but i am unable to find when Null value getting. bec we need modification according null vales. pls help me on this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot replace null with space

I have a fixed width text file which has some null characters in no particular order. I need to replace them with spaces so that the width remains same. I tried this: tr "\000" "\040" < mainfile > newfile Does not work. I tested that it works the other way round: $ echo "hello" |tr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rikxik
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Compare Null values??

Hi, Can someone help me comparing Null values. Scenario is as follows: I have a variable which "cache_prd" which can have either some integer or nothing(Null) if it is integer I have to again do some comparision but these comparisons give me this error:( "line 32: [: 95: unary operator... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yagami
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping out more than a space from a line, but keep single space.

Hi all, Is there a way to perform the above, I am trying to strip out more than one space from a line, but keep the single space. See below output example. My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 Please note that the lines would contain... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

NULL in between, at begining or at end of line - convert to space

How to replace null with space? I want to make each line with 80 characters. If any line contains only 5 characters and remaining is null, then i want to make it as 80 characrets where 5 is original characters and remaining 75 characters will be null.. NULL can come in between the line,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare 2 file with Condition.

Hello, I need to run a command or shell script that will compare 2 file with Condition. Can you please help ? thank you. File 1. ############start@linda22 ... ################## aaaaaaa bbbbbbb cccccc dddddd eeeee 11111 ############start@linda23 ... ################## aaaaaaa... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for null condition in a UNIX variable

i have this code for i in `cat sql_output.txt` do -- some script commands done sql_output.txt has 1 column with employee_ids If the sql_output.txt is null then the do loop should not execute. How can i implement this. for i in `cat sql_output.txt` If i is null or empty then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check null variable

Guys, Please help me on the below sample.cfg var=NULL sample.sh #!/bin/sh . /sample.cfg if ;then 1 st command here else 2 nd command here fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To flat file, append null or space if its length is less than 10

Hi, We receive flat files with fixed width data Now our goal is append from right null or space to each record if the lenght of the record is less than for example 10. for example 123 45 6 0 123 45 123 45 6 123 and output should be 123 45 6 0 123 45**** 123 45 6**... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shharrath
7 Replies
wcsncat(3)						     Library Functions Manual							wcsncat(3)

NAME
wcsncat, wcsncmp, wcsncpy - Perform operations on wide-character strings with a character count LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc) SYNOPSIS
#include <wchar.h> wchar_t *wcsncat( wchar_t *wcstring1, const wchar_t *wcstring2, size_t number); int wcsncmp( const wchar_t *wcstring1, const wchar_t *wcstring2, size_t number); wchar_t *wcsncpy( wchar_t *wcstring1, const wchar_t *wcstring2, size_t number); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: wcsncat(), wcsncmp(), wcsncpy(): XSH5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to a location containing the first wide-character string. Points to a location containing the second wide-character string. Speci- fies the number of wide characters in the string operation. In wcsncat(), specifies the maximum number of wide characters to append; in wcsncmp(), specifies the maximum number of wide characters to compare; and, in wcsncpy, specifies the number of wide characters to copy. DESCRIPTION
The wcsncat(), wcsncmp(), and wcsncpy() functions operate on null-terminated, wide-character strings. The wcsncat() function appends wide characters from the wcstring2 parameter to the end of the wcstring1 parameter. The initial character of the wcstring2 parameter overwrites the terminating null wide character of the wcstring1 parameter. The wcsncat() function appends char- acters until it encounters a null wide character in wcstring2 or appends, at most, the number of characters specified by the value of the number parameter. The function then appends a null wide character to the result and returns wcstring1. When operating on strings stored in fields that overlap, the behavior of this function is unreliable. The wcsncmp() function compares the wide characters in the wcstring1 parameter to the wcstring2 parameter. The wcsncmp() function compares wide characters until it has compared number wide characters or until it has reached a terminating null wide character. The function com- pares, at most, the number of wide characters specified by the value of the number parameter. When operating on strings stored in fields that overlap, the behavior of this function is unreliable. The wcsncmp() function compares strings based on the machine collating order. It does not use the locale-dependent sorting order. Use the wcscoll() function for locale-dependent sorting. The wcsncpy() function copies wide characters from the wcstring2 parameter to the wcstring1 parameter and returns wcstring1. The function copies the number of wide characters specified by the value of the number parameter. If wcstring2 is shorter than number characters, wcstring1 is padded out to number characters with null wide characters. However, if there is no null wide character in the first number characters of the wcstring2 array, the result in the wcstring1 array is not null terminated. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, the wcsncat() and wcsncpy() functions return a pointer to the resulting string, wcstring1. On successful completion, the wcsncmp() function returns an integer whose value is greater than 0 (zero) if wcstring1 is greater than wcstring2, returns 0 (zero) if the strings are equivalent, and returns an integer whose value is less than 0 (zero) if wcstring1 is less than wcstring2. No return value is reserved to indicate an error condition for any of these functions. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: strncat(3), wcscat(3), wcschr(3), wcscoll(3), wcslen(3), wcsspn(3) Standards: standards(5) delim off wcsncat(3)