Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to compare null and space using single if condition Post 302195465 by Franklin52 on Thursday 15th of May 2008 06:53:07 AM
Old 05-15-2008
Try this:

Code:
awk -F "," '
{s=$0;gsub(" ", "")}
/""/{print "With blanc field: "s;next}1' temp.txt

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare null with non-null

I've got a very peculiar situation. I'm trying to find out if we can compare null fields with non-null. I've output csv files from SQL and Oracle. I need to compare each field from the files, and then find out any differences. The files usualy have over 500 fields, and send the resule to DBA.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can find Null value in If condition

Hi, i wrote If Conditions in my script, it's returns null and some values. but i am unable to find when Null value getting. bec we need modification according null vales. pls help me on this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot replace null with space

I have a fixed width text file which has some null characters in no particular order. I need to replace them with spaces so that the width remains same. I tried this: tr "\000" "\040" < mainfile > newfile Does not work. I tested that it works the other way round: $ echo "hello" |tr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rikxik
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Compare Null values??

Hi, Can someone help me comparing Null values. Scenario is as follows: I have a variable which "cache_prd" which can have either some integer or nothing(Null) if it is integer I have to again do some comparision but these comparisons give me this error:( "line 32: [: 95: unary operator... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yagami
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping out more than a space from a line, but keep single space.

Hi all, Is there a way to perform the above, I am trying to strip out more than one space from a line, but keep the single space. See below output example. My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 My Name is test test2 test3 test4 test5 Please note that the lines would contain... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

NULL in between, at begining or at end of line - convert to space

How to replace null with space? I want to make each line with 80 characters. If any line contains only 5 characters and remaining is null, then i want to make it as 80 characrets where 5 is original characters and remaining 75 characters will be null.. NULL can come in between the line,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare 2 file with Condition.

Hello, I need to run a command or shell script that will compare 2 file with Condition. Can you please help ? thank you. File 1. ############start@linda22 ... ################## aaaaaaa bbbbbbb cccccc dddddd eeeee 11111 ############start@linda23 ... ################## aaaaaaa... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for null condition in a UNIX variable

i have this code for i in `cat sql_output.txt` do -- some script commands done sql_output.txt has 1 column with employee_ids If the sql_output.txt is null then the do loop should not execute. How can i implement this. for i in `cat sql_output.txt` If i is null or empty then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check null variable

Guys, Please help me on the below sample.cfg var=NULL sample.sh #!/bin/sh . /sample.cfg if ;then 1 st command here else 2 nd command here fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To flat file, append null or space if its length is less than 10

Hi, We receive flat files with fixed width data Now our goal is append from right null or space to each record if the lenght of the record is less than for example 10. for example 123 45 6 0 123 45 123 45 6 123 and output should be 123 45 6 0 123 45**** 123 45 6**... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shharrath
7 Replies
gets(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   gets(3)

NAME
gets, fgets - Get a string from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> char *gets( char *string); char *fgets( char *string, int n, FILE *stream); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: gets(), fgets(): XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to a string to receive bytes. Specifies an upper bound on the number of bytes to read. Points to the FILE structure of an open file. DESCRIPTION
The gets() function reads bytes from the standard input stream, stdin, into the array pointed to by the string parameter. Data is read until a newline character is read or an end-of-file condition is encountered. If reading is stopped due to a newline character, the newline character is discarded and the string is terminated with a null byte. The fgets() function reads bytes from the data pointed to by the stream parameter into the array pointed to by the string parameter. Data is read until n-1 bytes have been read, until a newline character is read and transferred to string, or until an end-of-file condition is encountered. The string is then terminated with a null byte. NOTES
The gets() function does not check the input for a maximum size. Consequently, if more bytes are entered than will fit in the space allo- cated for the string parameter, gets() will write beyond the end of the allocated space, producing indeterminate results. To avoid this condition, use fgets() instead of gets(). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the gets() and fgets() functions return string. If the stream is at end-of-file, the end-of-file indicator for the stream is set and a null pointer is returned. If a read error occurs, the error indicator for the stream is set, a null pointer is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The fgets() and gets() functions set errno to the specified value for the following conditions: The O_NONBLOCK flag is set for the underly- ing stream and the process would be delayed by the read operation. The file descriptor underlying the stream is not a valid file descrip- tor or is not open for reading. The read operation was interrupted by a signal which was caught and no data was transferred. The call is attempting to read from the process's controlling terminal and either the process is ignoring or blocking the SIGTTIN signal or the process group is orphaned. Insufficient memory is available for the operation. The device associated with stream does not exist. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: clearerr(3), feof(3), ferror(3), fgetws(3), fileno(3), fopen(3), fputws(3), fread(3), getc(3), getwc(3), puts(3), scanf(3) Standards: standards(5) delim off gets(3)