Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: return string in functions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting return string in functions Post 302195402 by kittusri9 on Thursday 15th of May 2008 03:03:48 AM
Old 05-15-2008
CPU & Memory return string in functions

Hi friends

I need to return string value in functions
can anyone help me out to return string values rather than integer.

#!/bin/bash
add_a_user()
{
USER=$1
COMPANY=$2
shift; shift;
echo "Adding user $USER ..."
echo "$USER working in $COMPANY ..."
ret_type=YES
return $ret_type
}
echo "Start of script..."
add_a_user kittu Google
echo "End of script..."

i need your valuable suggesions please.
Thanks
Kittu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

return line below string grepp'ed for

Hi there Does anybody know how to get grep to return the line underneath the string i am grepping for ie, if i have this file hello everybody how are you and i issue #cat file | grep how I would like it to return the line below (in this case the string "are") Is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search and return value from column

Dear All I had below mention file as my input file. 87980457 Jan 12 2008 2:00AM 1 60 BSC1 81164713 Jan 12 2008 3:00AM 1 60 BSC2 78084521 Jan 12 2008 4:00AM 1 60 BSC3 68385193... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Functions String return

Hy everybody I'm trying to write a function like function(){ final=$1 return $final } but I get following error: "return: bad non-numeric arg ''" what shall I do? Isn't it possible to return strings?:confused: thanks lucae (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucae
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use string across functions in AWK

Hi , I m facing one problem with String usage in AWK . let me put what i need . i have a function and there i used one string ( meta_string) function 1 { ................... ................... meta_string = " this string got... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhaviece
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for string and return lines above and below

Hi, I have a file with the following contents: COMPANY ABCD TRUCKER JOE SMITH TRUCK 456 PLATE A12345678 TRUCKER BILL JONES TRUCK 789 PLATE B7894561 I need to create a script or search command that will search for this string '789' in the file. This string is unique and only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: doza22
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for string and return substring

Hi, I have a file with the following contents: I need to create a script or search command that will search for this string 'ENDC' in the file. This string is unique and only occurs in one record. Once it finds the string, I would like it to return positions 101-109 ( this is the date of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lenora2009
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a string?

function blah { return "string" } it keeps saying string: not found How can i do this guys? Because I'm trying to do something like this function print_daemon_options { echo "Start Daemons - Please enter one or a combination of the following:" if isDatasubEnabled &&... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyscho
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

return part of a string in bash

Hi, I would like to return the last part of a string in an array of strings in bash. The array contains in each position the content below: and I would like to return only the last part of each string. The correct result would be: How can I do that in bash using AWK?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
7 Replies

9. Programming

How to pass int and return string in C?

hi I want to write a function which takes int as input and returns a string like this. char GetString(int iNo) { switch(iNo) { case 0: return "Zero"; break; case 1: return "One"; break; } } void main() { int i; printf("Enter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atharalikhan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies
mlib_VectorMulShift_U8_Mod(3MLIB)			    mediaLib Library Functions				 mlib_VectorMulShift_U8_Mod(3MLIB)

NAME
mlib_VectorMulShift_U8_Mod, mlib_VectorMulShift_U8_Sat, mlib_VectorMulShift_U8C_Mod, mlib_VectorMulShift_U8C_Sat, mlib_VectorMul- Shift_S8_Mod, mlib_VectorMulShift_S8_Sat, mlib_VectorMulShift_S8C_Mod, mlib_VectorMulShift_S8C_Sat, mlib_VectorMulShift_S16_Mod, mlib_Vec- torMulShift_S16_Sat, mlib_VectorMulShift_S16C_Mod, mlib_VectorMulShift_S16C_Sat, mlib_VectorMulShift_S32_Mod, mlib_VectorMulShift_S32_Sat, mlib_VectorMulShift_S32C_Mod, mlib_VectorMulShift_S32C_Sat - vector multiplication with shifting, in place SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lmlib [ library... ] #include <mlib.h> mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_U8_Mod(mlib_u8 *xz, const mlib_u8 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_U8_Sat(mlib_u8 *xz, const mlib_u8 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_U8C_Mod(mlib_u8 *xz, const mlib_u8 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_U8C_Sat(mlib_u8 *xz, const mlib_u8 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S8_Mod(mlib_s8 *xz, const mlib_s8 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S8_Sat(mlib_s8 *xz, const mlib_s8 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S8C_Mod(mlib_s8 *xz, const mlib_s8 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S8C_Sat(mlib_s8 *xz, const mlib_s8 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S16_Mod(mlib_s16 *xz, const mlib_s16 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S16_Sat(mlib_s16 *xz, const mlib_s16 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S16C_Mod(mlib_s16 *xz, const mlib_s16 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S16C_Sat(mlib_s16 *xz, const mlib_s16 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S32_Mod(mlib_s32 *xz, const mlib_s32 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S32_Sat(mlib_s32 *xz, const mlib_s32 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S32C_Mod(mlib_s32 *xz, const mlib_s32 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); mlib_status mlib_VectorMulShift_S32C_Sat(mlib_s32 *xz, const mlib_s32 *y, mlib_s32 n, mlib_s32 shift); DESCRIPTION
Each of these functions performs an in-place multiplication of two vectors and shifts the result. For real data, the following equation is used: xz[i] = xz[i] * y[i] * 2**(-shift) where i = 0, 1, ..., (n - 1). For complex data, the following equation is used: tmp = xz[2*i] xz[2*i] = (tmp*y[2*i] - xz[2*i + 1]*y[2*i + 1]) * 2**(-shift) xz[2*i + 1] = (tmp*y[2*i + 1] + xz[2*i + 1]*y[2*i]) * 2**(-shift) where i = 0, 1, ..., (n - 1). PARAMETERS
Each of the functions takes the following arguments: xz Pointer to the first element of the first source and result vector. y Pointer to the first element of the second source vector. n Number of elements in each vector. shift Right shifting factor. The ranges of valid shift are: 1 <= shift <= 8 for U8, S8, U8C, S8C types 1 <= shift <= 16 for S16, S16C types 1 <= shift <= 31 for S32, S32C types RETURN VALUES
Each of the functions returns MLIB_SUCCESS if successful. Otherwise it returns MLIB_FAILURE. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mlib_VectorMulShift_U8_U8_Mod(3MLIB), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Nov 2004 mlib_VectorMulShift_U8_Mod(3MLIB)