Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting trying to learn for loops, and arrays at the same time Post 302195369 by rubin on Wednesday 14th of May 2008 11:13:55 PM
Old 05-15-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCoTwc
I'd love to have an explanation of that awk statement though if you have time...

Section related to file HDBOXREPORT.

Code:
NR==FNR  -->  While the condition NR==FNR is true, 
NR --> Record Number which counts all the lines in both files, 
FNR --> Filename Record Number, which counts the lines in only one file, then restarts numbering when the lines of the second file are being processed,  then continue with the  other statement:
{a[$2]=$2;next} --> build the array a with all the elements from field 2 of the first file HDBOXREPORT while NR==FNR is true,
next --> read all the elements from that file, without continuing any further in the script.

Section related to file QSPK-list.

Code:
$7 in a --> Special test operator of assocciative arrays that checks if elements of field 7 ($7) from file QSPK-list are part of the array a created from file QSPK-list. When this condition is true then:

{print $7, $8} --> simply print the required fields from file QSPK-list.

The order of the files being processed is very important -> HDBOXREPORT QSPK-list

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to Learn About HP-UX

can someone give me the link to any site that deals on HP-UX system administration?? Please do not refer me to buy or borrow any books, i just need a free site to learn some quick info from (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

should i take the time to learn?

im new to UNIX but i know some commands and i bought a book about it but what i was wondering is.. should i learn about it i don't have a job where i use it im still in high school so there isn't any classes i can take where i need to learn it i just wanted to see how it works. From what i've heard... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiei
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell "loops & arrays"

Hi, I am trying to write a script which will loop until a certain action has been performed. I have two files i would like to compares. For example: file1 has a list of user ids (about 900) from the company's e-mail server. file2 has a list of user ids (about 50 or so) from... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzica
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays and while loops in bash

hi guys, i have an array called ARRAY which has elements in it... i am trying to assign elements of ARRAY to master_array.. i get a =: command not found error.. i=0 while do ${master_array}=${ARRAY} ((i++)) done is there something i am missing? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

5. Web Development

PHP arrays in arrays

PHP question... I have an SQL query that's pulled back user IDs as a set of columns. Rather than IDs, I want to use their names. So I have an array of columns $col with values 1,7,3,12 etc and I've got an array $person with values "Fred", "Bert", "Tom" etc So what I want to do is display the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

First time with loops!

My script that I have gotten much help with on here is almost complete.. I need to add a loop, to try a script 4 times, after the 4th time, just stop.. do auth=$(ps -ef | grep uth | awk '{ print $2}') if then echo "Process is running" ps=$(ps -ef | grep ps | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
3 Replies

7. Programming

question about int arrays and file pointer arrays

if i declare both but don't input any variables what values will the int array and file pointer array have on default, and if i want to reset any of the elements of both arrays to default, should i just set it to 0 or NULL or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dealing with Double Loops, Arrays and GREP

Can someone please help me to learn how to deal with loops, arrays and grep? I have two arrays (lets say I and j) each in a separate file And have file with lines of data I need to extract, such as Ruby Smith: some text here Ruby Smith: some other text here Ruby Brown: some text here Ruby... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For i in loops on 2 arrays

Hey , i have this script and i have these loops so it can find a match between 2 arrays : ARRAY_1=(one two three) ARRAY_2=(A B C) VAR='B' for NUMBERS in "${ARRAY_1}" do for LETTERS in "${ARRAY_2}" do if ];then VAR='LETTERS' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchenr
2 Replies