Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Timeout waiting for arp/rarp error Post 302195290 by Smiling Dragon on Wednesday 14th of May 2008 05:49:30 PM
Old 05-14-2008
That snoop should be showing you requests by MAC address too. ie you should see your server you are trying to boot's MAC appear in the snoop output on your jumpstart server.

If you aren't see anything like that, then the problem is one of:
Bad network in between
Broken network on the jumpstart server
Your target server isn't sending ARPs properly

check network port has a link, check switch, check you don't have a crossover cable where you shouldn't or vice-versa.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timeout Error

I'm getting a error on a old SPARC Station 5 system. The HDD I am using in internal 18GB. Everything use to work, and well wont now. The error I am getting is in bootup. The error is 'Timeout waiting for ARP?RARP packet error'. Anyone got any idea how I can fix this? I'm not sure... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

Alternate to RARP Solaris 5.6 & 5.8

I am a Cisco Engineer and have run into a problem with the boot process for UNIX servers running Solaris 5.6 & 5.8 OS. Currently the servers boot using RARP to discover IP configuration. This works and is OK as long as everything is on the same network where the broadcasts are free to roam. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmerg59
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Jumpstart: Rarp protocol specifics

I am having trouble locating a boot server on my subnet. I am trying to avoid installing a boot server if one exisits. Is there a way for me to broadcast a Rarp request to see if any boot servers are on my subnet and if so identify them? I think this will only work if the Rarp protocol supports... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhm4
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with waiting for ARP/RARP packet

All, I am no UNIX guru and all of them on my project have been unable to figure out the situation regarding the "waiting for ARP/RARP packet" issue we are experiencing. Hopefull, someone here will have some much needed insight.... The workstation is crashing while no one is around, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chezmargm
1 Replies

5. Solaris

SFTP is successful but still shows timeout error

Hi, I am doing sftp from remote server1 to remote server2. This is done through a script. This script was working fine. But if i am tranfer files of 120 MB only some part of the file gets transferred (around 9 MB). Incase i put the same file manually it gets uploaded successfully. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subiksha
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

about RARP

Is a separate frame type field required for RARP? Could the same value be used for ARP and RARP 0x0806? thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kavitha rao
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 2.6 looking for ARP/RARP packet

Hi Everybody :) This is my first post concerning Solaris 2.6 trying to boot on a Tadpole SparcBook 3. I bought the laptop from somebody who configured it for his network. For the moment I want it as a non-networked standalone machine, or at least have that option. On trying to boot I get an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JuBiLeE_50_05
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

TNS Timeout Error when connecting to SQLPLUS through scripts only

Hi, I am facing a strange issue when connecting to SQLPLUS via a shell scripts. I am using Linux 2.6.18-274.18.1 and gbash shell. When I connect to SQLPLUS through scripts then it throws TNS Time Out error ""sometimes"" and connects successfully other times.This is only happening when... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aashish.sharma8
9 Replies

9. Solaris

weblogic connection timeout error

i am facing an issue that the server give a connection timeout after 60 sec for any request more than that number . i tried to increase the TCP INTERVAL TIMEOUT from the default 60000 ms to more higher number. the server seems to work fine and didn't give me the massage of the timeout but the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: core99
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is this error log = hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 and how to solve?

what is this error log = hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 and how to solve? every day upon checking the logs i see this error. hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hw_client: segfault at 0000000000000046 rip... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtalan
3 Replies
WHOM(1) 							     [nmh-1.5]								   WHOM(1)

NAME
whom - report to whom a message would go SYNOPSIS
whom [-alias aliasfile] [-check | -nocheck] [-draftfolder +folder] [-draftmessage msg] [-nodraftfolder] [-server servername] [-port port- name/number] [-sasl] [-saslmech mechanism] [-snoop] [-user username] [-tls] [-notls] [file] [-draft] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Whom is used to expand the headers of a message into a set of addresses and optionally verify that those addresses are deliverable at that time (if -check is given). The -draftfolder +folder and -draftmessage msg switches invoke the nmh draft folder facility. This is an advanced (and highly useful) fea- ture. Consult the mh-draft(5) man page for more information. If nmh is using the SMTP MTA, the -server and the -port switches can be used to override the default mail server (defined by the /etc/nmh/mts.conf servers entry). The -snoop switch can be used to view the SMTP transaction. (Beware that the SMTP transaction may con- tain authentication information either in plaintext or easily decoded base64.) If nmh has been compiled with SASL support, the -sasl switch will enable the use of SASL authentication with the SMTP MTA. Depending on the SASL mechanism used, this may require an additional password prompt from the user (but the ".netrc" file can be used to store this password). -saslmech switch can be used to select a particular SASL mechanism, and the the -user switch can be used to select a authoriza- tion userid to provide to SASL other than the default. If SASL authentication is successful, nmh will attempt to negotiate a security layer for session encryption. Encrypted data is labelled with `(encrypted)' and `(decrypted)' when viewing the SMTP transaction with the -snoop switch. The -saslmaxssf switch can be used to select the maximum value of the Security Strength Factor. This is an integer value and the exact meaning of this value depends on the underlying SASL mechanism. A value of 0 disables encryption. If nmh has been compiled with TLS support, the -tls and -notls switches will require and disable the negotiation of TLS support when con- necting to the SMTP MTA. Encrypted data is labelled with `(tls-encrypted)' and `(tls-decrypted)' when viewing the SMTP transction with the -snoop switch. The files specified by the profile entry "Aliasfile:" and any additional alias files given by the -alias aliasfile switch will be read (more than one file, each preceded by -alias, can be named). See mh-alias(5) for more information. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Draft-Folder: To find the default draft-folder Aliasfile: For a default alias file postproc: Program to post the message SEE ALSO
mh-alias(5), post(8) DEFAULTS
`file' defaults to <mh-dir>/draft `-nocheck' `-alias' defaults to /etc/nmh/MailAliases CONTEXT
None BUGS
With the -check option, whom makes no guarantees that the addresses listed as being ok are really deliverable, rather, an address being listed as ok means that at the time that whom was run the address was thought to be deliverable by the transport service. For local addresses, this is absolute; for network addresses, it means that the host is known; for uucp addresses, it (often) means that the UUCP network is available for use. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 WHOM(1)