Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris trying to add .profile for root Post 302195233 by System Shock on Wednesday 14th of May 2008 03:02:51 PM
Old 05-14-2008
That means that /var/tmp has lost its sticky bit and/or 777 permissions. As root, do:
Code:
# chmod 1777 /var/tmp

If you don't have root access, just use redirection. For example, if you want to create an alias for the clear command:
Code:
# echo "alias 'cl=clear'" >> .profile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS - root's .profile

There is no .profile file for the root user. It should reside in "/". Can I just copy a .profile file into "/"? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

2. Solaris

.profile for root ?

Hi friends, On a Solaris system is the .profile executed for the user root also as it is for any normal user ? if i have to change the PATH variable can i add it to the .profile? and by default ther .profile is not found in the / directory. i can see it in /etc as /etc/profile. Should i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sveera
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change root's .profile settings

As a regular (non-root) user on Unix servers I'm accustomed to changing my .profile file to set paths that I frequently use, etc. I am trying to learn unix and set up a test server running SunOS 5.8. When I login as root I don't see a .profile file that belongs to root wherein I could change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Where's the .profile environment config for root under Bourne shell?

I don't know where the environment config file for root user is in the Bourne shell on Solaris 10? Can you help me, or am I helpless???? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joncamp
2 Replies

5. AIX

Ho to copy root profile?

Does anybody know how to copy/mirror root profile in AIX 5.2? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fraydey
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue about how to add a block into profile?

I have to write a rbac script to add something into a role's profile, this script will be executed for many times, during this script, it will add a block into the profile. if the profile exists, it should check the block has been there, if, just replace it with the latest settings, take an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Messed up my boot environment or root profile

Ok, a couple weeks ago I was fixing a cron report about perl not happy with 'locale' info (LANG and LC not set). As a result, I was experimenting with setting the correct 'locale' in several areas (like /etc/sysconfig/i18n and who knows where). Somehow after a reboot, as soon as the OS starts... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garball
3 Replies

8. Solaris

rootsh on Solaris 10 is not sourcing root's .profile

I'm attempting to setup rootsh on Solaris 10 to log the activity of users who require root access. However it does not appear to be sourcing root's .profile file even when run with the '-i' option. I was wondering if anybody else has run into this and might have a solution. Thank you. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungfusnwbrdr
9 Replies

9. AIX

aix 6.1 root .profile not found

hello all i just installed my 1rst 6.1 machine and it's working fine but i can't find the root .profile ????? can any one help BEst Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: islam.said
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Add a new user to a vt100 profile

Hello Team, I am trying to add a user a9acd012 and the user has to be added to two groups in unix and two groups in windows, Also i want to give the user vt100 profile when i create the user.Can anyone here help me with the command please.Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Revathi2089
1 Replies
pmvarrun(8)							     pam_mount							       pmvarrun(8)

Name
       pmvarrun - updates /var/run/pam_mount/user

Syntax
       pmvarrun -u user [options]

Description
       A  separate  program is needed so that /var/run/pam_mount/user may be created with a pam_mount-specific security context (otherwise SELinux
       policy will conflict with gdm, which also creates file in /var/run).

pmvarrun is flexible and can run in a number of different security setups:

root-root
       When pmvarrun is invoked as root, /var/run/pam_mount's permission settings can be as strict as needed; usually (0755,root,root) is  a  good
       pick  as  it  gives  users the debug control over their refcount. Refcount files are given their respective owners (chowned to the user who
       logs in).

user-user
       When invoked as the user who logs in, /var/run/pam_mount needs appropriate permissions to create a file, which means the write bit must	be
       set. It is also highly suggested to set the sticky bit in this case, so other users do not tamper with your refcount.

root-user
       Some  programs or login helpers incorrectly call the PAM stack in a way that the login phase is done as root and the logout phase as a nor-
       mal user.  Nevertheless, pmvarrun supports this, and the same permissions as in root-root can be used. While the user may not  be  able	to
       unlink his file from /var/run/pam_mount, it will be truncated to indicate the same state.

Options
       --help, -h
	      Display help.

--user user, -u user
	      User to handle, must be a valid username.

--operation number, -o number
	      Increase volume count by number.

-d     Turn on debugging.

Files
       /var/run/pam_mount/user

Author
       This  manpage  was originally written by Bastian Kleineidam <calvin@debian.org> for the Debian distribution of libpam-mount but may be used
       by others.

See /usr/share/doc/packages/pam_mount/AUTHORS for the list of original authors of pam_mount.

pam_mount							    2008-10-08							       pmvarrun(8)