Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Differences between csh and tcsh Post 302195111 by drl on Wednesday 14th of May 2008 09:48:05 AM
Old 05-14-2008
Hi.

On the system I use, tcsh has its own man page, which includes this description:
Quote:
The NEW FEATURES section describes major enhancements of tcsh over csh(1).
Throughout this manual, features of tcsh not found in most csh(1)
implementations (specifically, the 4.4BSD csh) are labeled with `(+)',
and features which are present in csh(1) but not usually documented are
labeled with `(u)'.
So if you have that, you can find the differences as noted.

On a Linux system I use, csh is a symbolic link to tcsh. On a Solaris box, they are different (i.e. they have different lengths).

A quick Google search for man tcsh includes an online man page for one version of tcsh at http://www.tcsh.org/tcsh.html/top.html ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh

I'm working on OpenOffice Localization; In that I need to work most of in 'tcsh' Since I have almost work till now in 'bash', I want to explore 'tcsh' much more .. An body suggest me a way ? books ? Thanks, :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kartik
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff between tcsh and csh -f

Hello Am very new to linux/unix, workin in it since 10 days only. I had started with bash and now I need to work in tcsh. I have changed shell for my user profile using 'chsh' I use gedit for script writing. Now in the first line if I write #!/bin/tcsh i get d msg /home/usr/.cshrc: No such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahendrakamath
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in tcsh

am working in tcsh while writing a script, what is diff between foll two starting line #!/bin/csh #!/bin/csh -f Also can I use the same line for script in tcsh or I have to necessarily use #!/bin/tcsh I guess even #!/bin/sh will also do. Kindly clarify (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahendrakamath
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected end of file..with csh->tcsh

All; Thanks for reading. I'm having a heck of a time with this cshell script that fires off an hp temperature monitor and rotates logs. I keep getting '/opt/temperature/temp.sh: line 22: syntax error: unexpected end of file' when I try to 'sh /opt/temperature/temp.sh" it --script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swjv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh failing to call an 2 embedded csh script

I have an extraordinary problem with a csh script.....(feel free to berate the use of this but I'm modifying an existing bunch of them) Anyway, I have a master csh script which in turn calls a second csh script. This second csh script is below. Within this second script are two compiled C++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pollsizer
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is tcsh 100% compatible with the plain-old csh [on Solaris 9]

Hi folks There are about 200 csh scripts (I didn't wrote them). Do all those scripts run with tcsh without modification? Is tcsh 100% compatible with the plain-old csh? $ which csh /usr/bin/csh $ which tcsh /usr/bin/tcsh $ uname -a SunOS purzelse 5.9 Generic_117171-07 sun4u sparc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh/csh: set prompt in production to color red

Hi folks This is our prompt at the moment oracle@pinkipinki:/opt/oracle> grep 'set prompt' .cshrc set prompt = "$user@`uname -n`:$cwd> " We wish to have in production the same prompt, but red. Howto do that? I tried a lot a internet manuals, but it doesn't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between 2 Flat Files and process the differences

Hi Hope you are having a great weeknd !! I had a question and need your expertise for this : I have 2 files File1 & File2(of same structure) which I need to compare on some columns. I need to find the values which are there in File2 but not in File 1 and put the Differences in another file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_8398
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh/tcsh : Check the file existance and run the script

Hi, I've to wait until a file generated and once its generated, source another script in Linux terminal. Please help me as this is very very urgent. The code should be something like if ( -e "/abc/xyz/a.txt ) source aaa.csh else sleep This should be repeated till the if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar_eee
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcsh to sh

Dear all, I have piece of command from tcsh, which I would like to be in my .bashrc file. However, I am comletely blank about the tcsh commandline. if (-e ~/forum/dir/code.sh) then source ~/forum/dir/code.sh endif Any piece of suggestions how to convert it to sh way? Thank you emily (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
5 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)