Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stripping out extensions when file has multiple dots in name Post 302194981 by penchal_boddu on Wednesday 14th of May 2008 05:26:12 AM
Old 05-14-2008
Hi

Instead of FNAME=`echo "${FILE_NAME}"| cut -f1 -d'.'` , try the below line

FNAME=`echo "${FILE_NAME}"| sed 's#^\(.*\)\.\(.*\)#\1#' `

Thanks
Penchal

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find -regex: matching multiple extensions

I want to use find to locate files with two different extensions, and run a grep on the results. The closest I have gotten is incredibly slow and ugly: for i in `ls -laR|egrep -e '(.js|.css)'`; do find . -name $i -print|xargs grep -H searchBg; done; This method makes my eyes bleed. Help! ;) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r0sc0
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping out the extension of a file name

I have written a shell script and in my script i have a variable filename=myfile.txt now, i want another variable to be defined for which i have to strip out the extension fo the file name, i.e. newvariable= myfile how do i strip out the ".txt" part from my first variable. Any kind of help... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate multiple file extensions

Hi, I have files with names like file1.txt.txt.txt.txt and file2.txt.txt.txt.txt.txt............ (random infinite number of .txt exist). how to truncate (mv) their names to ones with single .txt extension like file1.txt and file1.txt ? In other words, how to extract the filename upto first... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating multiple extensions

Friends I want to automat sending a letter to different persons whose directories are named as 001, 002, 003, 004. To push the same letter to all these directories, I need to name the letter as letter.001, letter.002 like that. Is there any method whereby I get the extension of this letter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chssastry
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing extensions for multiple files at once

I copied some files to another folder, and I want to change them from .doc extensions to .txt extensions. I tried using the cp and mv commands, but it didn't work. Is it possible to change file extensions with these commands, and if so how do I do it? I tried using the * wildcard (say cp *.doc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple dots (.) with spaces ( )

Hi all, I have files in the filename pattern of, this.is.the.name.of.my.file.mov and I would like to remove dots (.) and replace them with spaces ( ) so the output would be, this is the name of my file.mov The other issue that I have is that the number of dots (.) in the file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monkey Dean
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing multiple extensions

HI, I have some csv files with mutiple extensions, I want to remove all the extensions and keep only the .csv extension. anybody can suggest me how to do this. source files 1.txt.csv.txt.csv.csv.txt.csv 2.csv.txt.csv.txt.csv.txt target 1.csv 2.csv --Wang (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wangkc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove filenames beginning with multiple dots

hi all, I want to remove filenames beginning with multiple dots.how I can do this. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriharsharavi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List directory name (only once) after multiple file extensions found

Here is a simplified example of my problem. Say I have the following 3 sub-directories; ./folder1 A.txt A.sh ./folder2 B.txt ./folder3 C.txt C.sh I would like to list the directory names which contain both '.txt' & '.sh' type extensions. I have came up with the following code;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmab
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get file extension with multiple dots

I am trying to get the file extension with file names that could contain multiple dots using shell scripting. I want to find a way using the sed command. Example Filenames: one.dat one.dat.002 Results: dat I would like to return dat in both instances using the sed command. How can I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
4 Replies
PTHREAD_JOIN(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   PTHREAD_JOIN(3)

NAME
pthread_join, pthread_timedjoin_np -- wait for thread termination LIBRARY
POSIX Threads Library (libpthread, -lpthread) SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_join(pthread_t thread, void **value_ptr); int pthread_timedjoin_np(pthread_t thread, void **value_ptr, const struct timespec *abstime); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_join() function suspends execution of the calling thread until the target thread terminates unless the target thread has already terminated. On return from a successful pthread_join() call with a non-NULL value_ptr argument, the value passed to pthread_exit() by the terminating thread is stored in the location referenced by value_ptr. When a pthread_join() returns successfully, the target thread has been terminated. The results of multiple simultaneous calls to pthread_join() specifying the same target thread are undefined. If the thread calling pthread_join() is cancelled, then the target thread is not detached. The pthread_timedjoin_np() function is equivalent to the pthread_join() function except it will return ETIMEDOUT if target thread does not exit before specified absolute time passes. A thread that has exited but remains unjoined counts against [_POSIX_THREAD_THREADS_MAX]. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_join() and pthread_timedjoin_np() functions will return zero. Otherwise an error number will be returned to indi- cate the error. ERRORS
The pthread_join() and pthread_timedjoin_np() functions will fail if: [EINVAL] The implementation has detected that the value specified by thread does not refer to a joinable thread. [ESRCH] No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID, thread. [EDEADLK] A deadlock was detected or the value of thread specifies the calling thread. [EOPNOTSUPP] The implementation detected that another caller is already waiting on thread. Additionally, the pthread_timedjoin_np() function will fail if: [ETIMEDOUT] The specified absolute time passed while pthread_timedjoin_np() waited for thread exit. SEE ALSO
wait(2), pthread_create(3) STANDARDS
The pthread_join() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996 (``POSIX.1''). The pthread_timedjoin_np() is a FreeBSD extension which first appeared in FreeBSD 6.1. BSD
January 23, 2010 BSD