Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: add space
Operating Systems Linux add space Post 302194857 by suid0 on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 09:37:00 PM
Old 05-13-2008
There is a way..

Take another hd and also take a linux boot cd where you can use console.
After you boot from the cd, create 2 partitions on your new hd.
mount your partition that is in 100% into any directory and the copy /usr of this partition to 1 partition and do the same to /var contents, from your full partition to the other new partition.
After that, edit /etc/fstab of your 100% partition to match this change.

Hope this helps. next time u can try LVM or create more partitions.

suid0 - suid0@unitednerds.org

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add space to filesystem in solaris

I need step-by-step on how to add more space to /apps in solaris. Currently df -hk: /dev/md/dsk/d40 15G 13G 1.6G 90% /app How much can I expand and how? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simt
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to add space in between columns in VI editor

Hi, I am trying to add space after 3rd and 6th column for editing a file in special format. How should I achieve in VI?. So, is it possible to do in it in sed ? thanks vipa (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add new lines with a space in beginning

Hi file1.txt contains GigabitEthernet1/1 GigabitEthernet1/2 GigabitEthernet2/2 GigabitEthernet2/4 GigabitEthernet2/14 GigabitEthernet2/16 can anyone show me how to modify it as below. there is a space at the beginning of the next two lines . ie 'no shut' and 'switch..' !... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aejaz
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add a space at end of file

Hi I guess this is very simple.... I want to add a space at the last line in a file. The space has to be the last charachter on the last line, not at a new line. Anyone ?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: disel
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add up the used space..

I am trying to write a script to add up the used space on hp unix. Below is the script what i am trying, but not getting the desired output. can somebody guide me. #!/bin/ksh t1=bdf |grep /u01|awk '{print $2}' t2=bdf |grep /u02|awk '{print $2}' t3=bdf |grep /u03|awk '{print $2}'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bang_dba
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add only one space after each word in a string

hi, I have this string: a="abc def ghi jkl mno pqr" how can I display this to: abc def ghi jkl mno pqr # only one space each (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space

hi guys how can i add spacein file name with sed if strings have no space around dash input 19-20 ( 18-19 ) ABC-EFG output after add white space 19 - 20 (18 - 19 ) ABC - EFG thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhs
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed add space X times

Pattern: Mary walks at the park every day with her children sed 's/$/ /' will make it add 1 space at the end (trailing) I want to add X ($VARIABLE) number of spaces (which comes from RANDOM) i.e. VARIABLE='14' then it will do: sed 's/$/ /' = 14 spaces added at the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: holyearth
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add space between text

I am trying to use awk to add a space in a string of text. My awk is close but does not produce the desured output. Thank you :). input washington aveLansing, MI washington streetLansing, MI Desired output washington ave Lansing, MI washington street Lansing, MI awk -F"\t"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
9 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Unable to add space

I have / root directory has file system /dev/sda1 with 19G space I want to add some more space to /home directory but unable to do it while running below command getting below message $sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sda2 mke2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014) mkfs.ext4: inode_size (128) * inodes_count (0) too... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
4 Replies
RDEV(8)                                                      Linux Programmer's Manual                                                     RDEV(8)

NAME
rdev - query/set image root device, RAM disk size, or video mode SYNOPSIS
rdev [-Rrvh] [-o offset] [image [value [offset]]] rdev [-o offset] [image [root_device [offset]]] ramsize [-o offset] [image [size [offset]]] vidmode [-o offset] [image [mode [offset]]] rootflags [-o offset] [image [flags [offset]]] DESCRIPTION
With no arguments, rdev outputs an /etc/mtab line for the current root file system. With no arguments, ramsize, vidmode, and rootflags print usage information. In a bootable image for the Linux kernel on i386, there are several pairs of bytes which specify the root device, the video mode, and the size of the RAM disk. These pairs of bytes, by default, begin at offset 504 (decimal) in the kernel image: 498 Root flags (500 and 502 Reserved) 504 RAM Disk Size 506 VGA Mode 508 Root Device (510 Boot Signature) rdev will change these values. Typical values for the image parameter, which is a bootable Linux kernel image, might be: /vmlinux /vmunix /boot/bzImage-2.4.0 /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 When using the rdev command, the root_device parameter might be something like: /dev/hda1 /dev/hdf13 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdc4 /dev/ida/c0d0p1 One may also specify the device by a comma-separated pair of decimal integers major,minor. For the ramsize command, the size parameter specifies the size of the RAM disk in kilobytes. 2.0.x kernels and newer dynamically allocate the ramdisk and do not need this setting. For the rootflags command, the flags parameter contains extra information used when mounting root. Currently the only effect of these flags is to force the kernel to mount the root filesystem in readonly mode if flags is non-zero. For the vidmode command, the mode parameter specifies the video mode: -3 = Prompt -2 = Extended VGA -1 = Normal VGA 0 = as if "0" was pressed at the prompt 1 = as if "1" was pressed at the prompt 2 = as if "2" was pressed at the prompt n = as if "n" was pressed at the prompt If the value is not specified, the image will be examined to determine the current settings. OPTIONS
-r Causes rdev to act like ramsize (Not relevant for 2.0.x and newer kernels). -R Causes rdev to act like rootflags. -v Causes rdev to act like vidmode. -h Provides help. BUGS
The rdev utility, when used other than to find a name for the current root device, is an ancient hack that works by patching a kernel image at a magic offset with magic numbers. It does not work on architectures other than i386. Its use is strongly discouraged. Use a boot loader like SysLinux or LILO instead. HISTORY
At offset 502 there used to be the device number of the swap device (in Linux 0.12), and "rdev -s" or "swapdev" would set this. However, since Linux 0.95 this constant is not used any longer, and the swap device is specified using the swapon(2) system call. At offset 504 there used to be the size of the ramdisk in kilobytes. One would specify a size, and this much was grabbed off the top of memory. In Linux 1.1.39 it became also possible to set this value on the kernel command line. In Linux 1.3.48 the ramdisk setup was changed. Ramdisk memory is now taken from the buffer cache, so that the ramdisk can grow dynamically. The interpretation of the ramdisk word was changed to a word of which the high order bit is a prompt flag (1: prompt for ramdisk: "VFS: Insert ramdisk floppy and press ENTER" - this is needed with a two-floppy boot), the next bit a load flag (1: load ramdisk), and the low order 11 bits give the starting block number of the root filesystem image (so that one can have a single floppy boot). See also linux/Documentation/ramdisk.txt. AUTHORS
Originally by Werner Almesberger (almesber@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch) Modified by Peter MacDonald (pmacdona@sanjuan.UVic.CA) rootflags support added by Stephen Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk) AVAILABILITY
The rdev command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux 0.99 20 November 1993 RDEV(8)