Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Why not a segmentation fault?? Post 302194706 by lagigliaivan on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 02:21:46 PM
Old 05-13-2008
Thanks!

Thanks!

I was editing the assembly code generated by "gcc -S" and I realized that:

If I define in the main function a buffer as follows

char[8]

the first four lines in the assembly code are:

pushl %ebp
movl %esp, %ebp
subl $8, %esp
andl $-16, %esp

but if I change it by

char[9]

I get

pushl %ebp
movl %esp, %ebp
subl $24, %esp
andl $-16, %esp

and if I change it by

char[17]

I get

pushl %ebp
movl %esp, %ebp
subl $40, %esp
andl $-16, %esp

and so on.

I think the size of the stack depends on the compiler. Every 8 bytes I request, the compiler allocates 16 more.

It is right??

Please tell me if I'm being stupid!

Thank you very much for your support!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

hello all, I tried a program on an array to intialise array elements from the standard input device.it is an integer array of 5 elements.but after entering the 4th element it throws a message called "Segmentation Fault" and returns to the command prompt without asking for the 5th element. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

2. Programming

Hi! segmentation fault

I have written a program which takes a directory as command line arguments and displays all the dir and files in it. I don't know why I have a problem with the /etc directory.It displays all the directories and files untill it reaches a sub directory called peers which is in /etc/ppp/peers.the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
4 Replies

3. Programming

segmentation fault

ive written my code in C for implementation of a simple lexical analyser using singly linked list hence am making use of dynamic allocation,but when run in linux it gives a segmentation fault is it cause of the malloc function that ive made use of????any suggestions as to what i could do??? thank... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockgal
8 Replies

4. AIX

Segmentation fault

Hi , During execution a backup binary i get following error "Program error 11 (Segmentation fault), saving core file in '/usr/datatools" Riyaz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rshaikh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

Hi, While comparing primary key data of two tables thr bteq script I am getting this Error. This script is a shell script. *** Error: The following error was encountered on the output file. Script.sh: 3043492 Segmentation fault(coredump) Please let me know how to get through it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
5 Replies

6. Programming

segmentation fault

Hi, I am having this segmentation fault not in the following program, bt. in my lab program . My lab program is horrible long so cannot post it here bt. I am using the following logic in my program which is giving the segmentation fault. Bt. if I run this sample program as it is it dosen't give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
3 Replies

7. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Segmentation Fault

this is a network programming code to run a rock paper scissors in a client and server. I completed it and it was working without any error. After I added the findWinner function to the server code it starts giving me segmentation fault. -the segmentation fault is fixed Current problem -Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
3 Replies

9. Programming

Segmentation fault

I keep getting this fault on a lot of the codes I write, I'm not exactly sure why so I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the idea to me. For example this code #include <stdio.h> main() { unsigned long a=0; unsigned long b=0; int z; { printf("Enter two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sizzler786
2 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
RACOONCTL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      RACOONCTL(8)

NAME
racoonctl -- racoon administrative control tool SYNOPSIS
racoonctl [opts] reload-config racoonctl [opts] show-schedule racoonctl [opts] show-sa [isakmp|esp|ah|ipsec] racoonctl [opts] get-sa-cert [inet|inet6] src dst racoonctl [opts] flush-sa [isakmp|esp|ah|ipsec] racoonctl [opts] delete-sa saopts racoonctl [opts] establish-sa [-w] [-n remoteconf] [-u identity] saopts racoonctl [opts] vpn-connect [-u identity] vpn_gateway racoonctl [opts] vpn-disconnect vpn_gateway racoonctl [opts] show-event racoonctl [opts] logout-user login DESCRIPTION
racoonctl is used to control racoon(8) operation, if ipsec-tools was configured with adminport support. Communication between racoonctl and racoon(8) is done through a UNIX socket. By changing the default mode and ownership of the socket, you can allow non-root users to alter racoon(8) behavior, so do that with caution. The following general options are available: -d Debug mode. Hexdump sent admin port commands. -l Increase verbosity. Mainly for show-sa command. -s socket Specify unix socket name used to connecting racoon. The following commands are available: reload-config This should cause racoon(8) to reload its configuration file. show-schedule Unknown command. show-sa [isakmp|esp|ah|ipsec] Dump the SA: All the SAs if no SA class is provided, or either ISAKMP SAs, IPsec ESP SAs, IPsec AH SAs, or all IPsec SAs. Use -l to increase verbosity. get-sa-cert [inet|inet6] src dst Output the raw certificate that was used to authenticate the phase 1 matching src and dst. flush-sa [isakmp|esp|ah|ipsec] is used to flush all SAs if no SA class is provided, or a class of SAs, either ISAKMP SAs, IPsec ESP SAs, IPsec AH SAs, or all IPsec SAs. establish-sa [-w] [-n remoteconf] [-u username] saopts Establish an SA, either an ISAKMP SA, IPsec ESP SA, or IPsec AH SA. The optional -u username can be used when establishing an ISAKMP SA while hybrid auth is in use. The exact remote block to use can be specified with -n remoteconf. racoonctl will prompt you for the password associated with username and these credentials will be used in the Xauth exchange. Specifying -w will make racoonctl wait until the SA is actually established or an error occurs. saopts has the following format: isakmp {inet|inet6} src dst {esp|ah} {inet|inet6} src/prefixlen/port dst/prefixlen/port {icmp|tcp|udp|gre|any} vpn-connect [-u username] vpn_gateway This is a particular case of the previous command. It will establish an ISAKMP SA with vpn_gateway. delete-sa saopts Delete an SA, either an ISAKMP SA, IPsec ESP SA, or IPsec AH SA. vpn-disconnect vpn_gateway This is a particular case of the previous command. It will kill all SAs associated with vpn_gateway. show-event Listen for all events reported by racoon(8). logout-user login Delete all SA established on behalf of the Xauth user login. Command shortcuts are available: rc reload-config ss show-sa sc show-schedule fs flush-sa ds delete-sa es establish-sa vc vpn-connect vd vpn-disconnect se show-event lu logout-user RETURN VALUES
The command should exit with 0 on success, and non-zero on errors. FILES
/var/racoon/racoon.sock or /var/run/racoon.sock racoon(8) control socket. SEE ALSO
ipsec(4), racoon(8) HISTORY
Once was kmpstat in the KAME project. It turned into racoonctl but remained undocumented for a while. Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@NetBSD.org> wrote this man page. BSD
March 12, 2009 BSD