Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: error redirection
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers error redirection Post 302194528 by era on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 06:11:11 AM
Old 05-13-2008
To redirect subsequent errors of the current script, use exec:

Code:
exec 2>/path/to/stderr.log

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection or piping error message

I have written a script that appears to work correctly in testing, but is coming up with a starnge error message, script_name: test: 0403-004 Specify a parameter with this command. Redirection or piping of stdin or stdout is allowed only with -b. (156). The script is run by different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error file Redirection

Hello All, I was wondering is there any other way in Shell Scripting to redirect the errors to a output file inside a shell script with using a error status checking or a command line redirection. Say without doing this ksh test.ksh 2> error.txt or without doing this ... if ; then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed error : Syntax error: redirection unexpected

My script is throwing the error 'Syntax error: redirection unexpected' My line of code.. cat nsstatustest.html | sed s/<tr><td align="left">/<tr><td align="left" bgcolor="#000000"><font color="white">/ > ztmp.Ps23zp2s.2-Fpps3-wmmm0dss3 HTML tags are getting in the way but they're needed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

output and error redirection

hi :) if condition >&- 2>&- Can anybody explain the redirection in above command Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpriyank
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with redirection in awk

I'm trying to find average of values in 2nd column in some files. Filenames have following pattern eg: tau_2.54_even_v1.xls tau_2.54_odd_v1.xls tau_1.60_v1.xls tau_800_v1.xls #!/bin/bash for file in pmb_mpi tau xhpl mpi_tile_io fftw ; do for f in "2.54" "1.60" "800" ;do if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I/O Redirection: how can I redirect error msgs to a temp file

Hi there, I just want to know how can I redirect error msgs returned from running a command (e.g. nslookup) and then only print out the correct output using an if statement?. I've tried the following: where $a is a list of IPs. but I got all the error msgs printed out to screen and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdulelah
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection error

Hi i am facing a very strange problem suppose the parameters which i passed to the script is -o 140 then my code is as follows echo $* | awk '{ for ( i=0;i<=NF;i++){if ($i= -o) { print ${i+1} } } ' | read abc echo $abc abc=`echo $* | awk '{ for ( i=0;i<=NF;i++){if ($i= -o) { print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about different redirection

explain the redirections 1>, 2>, 3>, ..... and 1< ,2<,3<..... where we use these things thanks Thread moved from AIX forum (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error redirection question

Hi gurus, I have a question, need some of your inputs... I have a command like this : export LINE_COUNT=`wc -l test.dat | awk '{print $1}'` echo $LINE_COUNT --- > gives me 2 which is fine as the file has 2 lines. This works fine if the file test.dat is present but in case... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to catch the redirection error when the disk is full

Hi Experts, Problem summary : I am facing the below problem on huge files when the disk is getting full on the half way through the execution. If the disk was already full , the commands fail & everything is fine. Sample Code : head_rec_data_file=`head -1 sample_file.txt` cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pruthviraj_shiv
9 Replies
scds_timerun(3HA)					 Sun Cluster HA and Data Services					 scds_timerun(3HA)

NAME
scds_timerun - execute a given command in a given amount of time SYNOPSIS
cc [flags...] -I /usr/cluster/include file -L /usr/cluster/lib -l dsdev #include <rgm/libdsdev.h> scha_err_t scds_timerun(scds_handle_t handle, const char *command, time_t timeout, int signal, int *cmd_exit_code DESCRIPTION
The scds_timerun() function executes a specified command using hatimerun(1M). If the command does not complete within the allotted time period,which is specified by the timeout argument, scds_timerun() sends a signal, specified by the signal argument, to kill it. The command argument does not support I/O redirection. However, you can write a script to perform redirection and then identify this script in the command argument as the command for scds_timerun() to execute. PARAMETERS
The following parameters are supported: handle The handle returned from scds_initialize(3HA) command String containing the command to run timeout Time, in seconds, allotted to run the command signal Signal to kill the command if it is still running when the timeout expires. If signal = -1, then SIGKILL is used. See signal(3HEAD). cmd_exit_code Return code from execution of the command RETURN VALUES
The scds_timerun() function returns the following: 0 The function succeeded. non-zero The function failed. ERRORS
SCHA_ERR_NOERR The command executed and cmd_exit_code contains the child program's exit status. SCHA_ERR_INTERNAL The timeout did not occur, but some other error was detected by scds_timerun() that was not an error detected by the child program. Or hatimerun(1M) caught the signal SIGTERM. SCHA_ERR_INVAL There was an invalid input argument. SCHA_ERR_TIMEOUT The timeout occurred before the command specified by the command argument finished executing. See scha_calls(3HA) for a description of other error codes. FILES
/usr/cluster/include/rgm/libdsdev.h Include file /usr/cluster/lib/libdsdev.so Library ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscdev | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hatimerun(1M), scds_initialize(3HA), scha_calls(3HA), signal(3HEAD), attributes(5) Sun Cluster 3.2 7 Sep 2007 scds_timerun(3HA)