Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script based on input mail
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script based on input mail Post 302194479 by era on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 02:39:16 AM
Old 05-13-2008
Sounds like procmail or mailfilter depending on whichever happens to be already installed, or more to your liking. Here's Procmail, for better or for worse:

Code:
# Match on envelope sender line (might not work if your MTA is different from mine)
:0
* ^From abc@xyz\.com\>
{
   # save a copy for archiving / auditing
   :0c:
   fromabc

# respond with df -k . output
   :0
   | ( formail -r ; df -k . ) | $SENDMAIL -t
}

This is very bare-bones and doesn't do any loop control; you'll find safer, better examples in the procmailex manual page.

Last edited by era; 05-13-2008 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: Comment that match is on envelope From_ line

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

run cmd based on input

Hi, This is what I have so far but it seems like a lot more than is necessary because....for example...user presses 2 or 3 ..... the script does the *same* thing it just depends on the directory it has to access....how can I improve this so that the code from 2 and 3 is only put once...? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holyearth
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the ipaddress and align based on the input file

Hi All, I have a file contains below contents, "interfacename/subnet: public (or) interfacename/subnet:cluster_interconnect" "en2"/10.185.81.0:cluster_interconnect,"en5"/10.185.81.0:cluster_interconnect,"en6"/169.181.146.0:public... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to select the rows from the feed file based on the input value provided

Hi Folks, I have the below feed file named abc1.txt in which you can see there is a title and below is the respective values in the rows and it is completely pipe delimited file ,. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pad zeroes based on input string?

Hello everyone, I am comparing two floating point numbers by storing them in seperate files and then using difference command to verify,it is working fine. But I want to compare two values which will come at 4 precision places. ex: file1 Date,Count,Checksum... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik adiga
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split files based on user input

Hi All, I have a UNIX script which reads "PxyType" (read PxyType) as input from user and a file (eg : "File.json") with the list all PxyType's. Based on the user input for "PxyType" in "File.json", I want to redirect each matched line to a different file ("File1,2,3,..json"). Can you... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments based on input file?

This script is running some exe file we are passing three argumnet below custome key word Want to update script based on input files every time it will take argument from input file below is the input files should take this input put it into the script. k.ksh cd /u/kali/temp ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalia
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to add +1 to value based on condition in input

In the awk below I am trying to add a | that will adjust $2 in the ouput by adding +1 if the original value from file that was used in $3 had a - in it. Line 3 of file is an example of this. In my current awk I just subtract one but I am not sure how to only apply this to those values without a -.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string based on input

I am trying to read a value from a mapping file and would need to replace the value based on country parameter source_table_@ctry_final Expected final_var=source_table_aus_final If the country is in nz,usa,uk then final_var=diff_table_nz_final final_var=diff_table_usa_final like that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Master_Mind
10 Replies
envelopes(5)							File Formats Manual						      envelopes(5)

NAME
envelopes - sender/recipient lists attached to messages INTRODUCTION
Electronic mail messages are delivered in envelopes. An envelope lists a sender and one or more recipients. Usually these envelope addresses are the same as the addresses listed in the mes- sage header: (envelope) from djb to root From: djb To: root In more complicated situations, though, the envelope addresses may differ from the header addresses. ENVELOPE EXAMPLES
When a message is delivered to several people at different locations, it is first photocopied and placed into several envelopes: (envelope) from djb to root From: djb Copy #1 of message To: root, god@brl.mil (envelope) from djb to god@brl.mil From: djb Copy #2 of message To: root, god@brl.mil When a message is delivered to several people at the same location, the sender doesn't have to photocopy it. He can instead stuff it into one envelope with several addresses; the recipients will make the photocopy: (envelope) from djb to god@brl.mil, angel@brl.mil From: djb To: god@brl.mil, angel@brl.mil, joe, frde Bounced mail is sent back to the envelope sender address. The bounced mail doesn't list an envelope sender, so bounce loops are impossi- ble: (envelope) from <> to djb From: MAILER-DAEMON To: djb Subject: unknown user frde The recipient of a message may make another copy and forward it in a new envelope: (envelope) from djb to joe From: djb Original message To: joe (envelope) from joe to fred From: djb Forwarded message To: joe A mailing list works almost the same way: (envelope) from djb to sos-list From: djb Original message To: sos-list (envelope) from sos-owner to god@brl.mil From: djb Forwarded message To: sos-list to recipient #1 (envelope) from sos-owner to frde From: djb Forwarded message To: sos-list to recipient #2 Notice that the mailing list is set up to replace the envelope sender with something new, sos-owner. So bounces will come back to sos- owner: (envelope) from <> to sos-owner From: MAILER-DAEMON To: sos-owner Subject: unknown user frde It's a good idea to set up an extra address, sos-owner, like this: the original envelope sender (djb) has no way to fix bad sos-list addresses, and of course bounces must not be sent to sos-list itself. HOW ENVELOPE ADDRESSES ARE STORED
Envelope sender and envelope recipient addresses are transmitted and recorded in several ways. When a user injects mail through qmail-inject, he can supply a Return-Path line or a -f option for the envelope sender; by default the envelope sender is his login name. The envelope recipient addresses can be taken from the command line or from various header fields, depending on the options to qmail-inject. Similar comments apply to sendmail. When a message is transferred from one machine to another through SMTP, the envelope sender is given in a MAIL FROM command, the envelope recipients are given in RCPT TO commands, and the message is supplied separately by a DATA command. When a message is delivered by qmail to a single local recipient, qmail-local records the recipient in Delivered-To and the envelope sender in Return-Path. It uses Delivered-To to detect mail forwarding loops. sendmail normally records the envelope sender in Return-Path. It does not record envelope recipient addresses, on the theory that they are redundant: you received the mail, so you must have been one of the envelope recipients. Note that, if the header doesn't have any recipient addresses, sendmail will move envelope recipient addresses back into the header. This situation occurs if all addresses were originally listed as Bcc, since Bcc is automatically removed. When sendmail sees this, it creates a new Apparently-To header field with the envelope recipient addresses. This has the strange effect that each blind-carbon-copy recipient will see a list of all recipients on the same machine. When a message is stored in mbox format, the envelope sender is recorded at the top of the message as a UUCP-style From (no colon) line. Note that this line is less reliable than the Return-Path line added by qmail-local or sendmail. SEE ALSO
qmail-header(5), qmail-local(8), qmail-inject(8) envelopes(5)