Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script based on input mail
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script based on input mail Post 302194478 by eagercyber on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 02:34:03 AM
Old 05-13-2008
Script based on input mail

Hi,

I am looking for examples of scripts which monitor for a mail from an id , say abc@xyz.com and if that comes, would reply with the contents of a file. The file is a dynamic status of some automated task.

Also as variations, I would send the a string as the content of the mail. That would executed and o/p would be replied. Ex:- 'df -k .' would get me the disk status.

Any examples are most welcome.

Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

run cmd based on input

Hi, This is what I have so far but it seems like a lot more than is necessary because....for example...user presses 2 or 3 ..... the script does the *same* thing it just depends on the directory it has to access....how can I improve this so that the code from 2 and 3 is only put once...? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holyearth
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the ipaddress and align based on the input file

Hi All, I have a file contains below contents, "interfacename/subnet: public (or) interfacename/subnet:cluster_interconnect" "en2"/10.185.81.0:cluster_interconnect,"en5"/10.185.81.0:cluster_interconnect,"en6"/169.181.146.0:public... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to select the rows from the feed file based on the input value provided

Hi Folks, I have the below feed file named abc1.txt in which you can see there is a title and below is the respective values in the rows and it is completely pipe delimited file ,. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pad zeroes based on input string?

Hello everyone, I am comparing two floating point numbers by storing them in seperate files and then using difference command to verify,it is working fine. But I want to compare two values which will come at 4 precision places. ex: file1 Date,Count,Checksum... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik adiga
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split files based on user input

Hi All, I have a UNIX script which reads "PxyType" (read PxyType) as input from user and a file (eg : "File.json") with the list all PxyType's. Based on the user input for "PxyType" in "File.json", I want to redirect each matched line to a different file ("File1,2,3,..json"). Can you... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments based on input file?

This script is running some exe file we are passing three argumnet below custome key word Want to update script based on input files every time it will take argument from input file below is the input files should take this input put it into the script. k.ksh cd /u/kali/temp ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalia
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to add +1 to value based on condition in input

In the awk below I am trying to add a | that will adjust $2 in the ouput by adding +1 if the original value from file that was used in $3 had a - in it. Line 3 of file is an example of this. In my current awk I just subtract one but I am not sure how to only apply this to those values without a -.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string based on input

I am trying to read a value from a mapping file and would need to replace the value based on country parameter source_table_@ctry_final Expected final_var=source_table_aus_final If the country is in nz,usa,uk then final_var=diff_table_nz_final final_var=diff_table_usa_final like that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Master_Mind
10 Replies
FORWARD(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							FORWARD(5)

NAME
forward -- mail forwarding instructions DESCRIPTION
The .forward file contains a list of mail addresses or programs that the user's mail should be redirected to. If the file is not present, then no mail forwarding will be done. Mail may also be forwarded as the standard input to a program by prefixing the line with the normal shell pipe symbol (|). If arguments are to be passed to the command, then the entire line should be enclosed in quotes. For security rea- sons, the .forward file must be owned by the user the mail is being sent to, or by root, and the user's shell must be listed in /etc/shells. For example, if a .forward file contained the following lines: nobody@FreeBSD.org "|/usr/bin/vacation nobody" Mail would be forwarded to <nobody@FreeBSD.org> and to the program /usr/bin/vacation with the single argument nobody. If a local user address is prefixed with a backslash character, mail is delivered directly to the user's mail spool file, bypassing further redirection. For example, if user chris had a .forward file containing the following lines: chris@otherhost chris One copy of mail would be forwarded to chris@otherhost and another copy would be retained as mail for local user chris. FILES
$HOME/.forward The user's forwarding instructions. SEE ALSO
aliases(5), mailaddr(7), sendmail(8) BSD
July 2, 1996 BSD