Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting First occurence of character in a file Post 302194445 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 12:56:59 AM
Old 05-13-2008
one more and single command

Code:
awk '/^[A-Za-z]/{ print; exit }' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting occurence of a particular character on each line

Hi, I have the following data in a flat file: abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357 abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357 abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357 I need to check the no. of occurence of "|" (pipe) on each line and the output should look like below:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hey_mak
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumit207
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit207
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find index of last occurence of a character within a string

I need to find the index of last '|' (highlighted in bold) in awk : |ifOraDatabase.Lastservererr<>0then|iferr_flag<>0then|end if Please suggest a way... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify the occurence of a pattern between a unique character?

hi, is it possible to find the number of occurences of a pattern between two paranthesis. for e.g i have a file as below. >>{ >>hi >>GoodMorning >>how are you? >>} >>is it good, >>tell me yes, if it is good In the above file, its clear the occurence of word "Good"... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: divak
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of character occurence but not from quotation marks

I have the following string: 31-01-2012, 09:42:37;OK;94727132638;"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1)";3G;WAP;I need a script which is counting the occurrence of semicolons ( ; ) but exclude the ones from the quotation marks. In the string given as example there are 8 semicolons but the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calinlicj
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting based on occurence of a Character at fixed position

I have a requirement where i need to split a file based on occurence of a character which is present at a fixed position. Description is as below: 1. The file will be more than 1 Lakh records. 2. Each line will be of fixed length of 987 characters. 3. At position 28 in each line either 'C' or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove begin of line up to the third and including occurence of character

hello. How to remove all characters in a line from first character ( a $ ) until and including the third occurrence of that character ( $ ). Any help is welcome. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello. Here is a file contents : declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=(="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" .................. ="§"Here is a pattern =I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '=' Is there a better solution than mine :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
Set::Infinite::_recurrence(3pm) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   Set::Infinite::_recurrence(3pm)

NAME
Set::Infinite::_recurrence - Extends Set::Infinite with recurrence functions SYNOPSIS
$recurrence = $base_set->_recurrence ( &next, &previous ); DESCRIPTION
This is an internal class used by the DateTime::Set module. The API is subject to change. It provides all functionality provided by Set::Infinite, plus the ability to define recurrences with arbitrary objects, such as dates. METHODS
o _recurrence ( &next, &previous ) Creates a recurrence set. The set is defined inside a 'base set'. $recurrence = $base_set->_recurrence ( &next, &previous ); The recurrence functions take one argument, and return the 'next' or the 'previous' occurence. Example: defines the set of all 'integer numbers': use strict; use Set::Infinite::_recurrence; use POSIX qw(floor); # define the recurrence span my $forever = Set::Infinite::_recurrence->new( Set::Infinite::_recurrence::NEG_INFINITY, Set::Infinite::_recurrence::INFINITY ); my $recurrence = $forever->_recurrence( sub { # next floor( $_[0] + 1 ) }, sub { # previous my $tmp = floor( $_[0] ); $tmp < $_[0] ? $tmp : $_[0] - 1 }, ); print "sample recurrence ", $recurrence->intersection( -5, 5 ), " "; # sample recurrence -5,-4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4,5 { my $x = 234.567; print "next occurence after $x = ", $recurrence->{param}[0]->( $x ), " "; # 235 print "previous occurence before $x = ", $recurrence->{param}[2]->( $x ), " "; # 234 } { my $x = 234; print "next occurence after $x = ", $recurrence->{param}[0]->( $x ), " "; # 235 print "previous occurence before $x = ", $recurrence->{param}[2]->( $x ), " "; # 233 } o is_forever Returns true if the set is a single span, ranging from -Infinity to Infinity. o _is_recurrence Returns true if the set is an unbounded recurrence, ranging from -Infinity to Infinity. CONSTANTS
o INFINITY The "Infinity" value. o NEG_INFINITY The "-Infinity" value. SUPPORT
Support is offered through the "datetime@perl.org" mailing list. Please report bugs using rt.cpan.org AUTHOR
Flavio Soibelmann Glock <fglock@gmail.com> The recurrence generation algorithm is based on an idea from Dave Rolsky. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2003 Flavio Soibelmann Glock. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can distribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. SEE ALSO
Set::Infinite DateTime::Set For details on the Perl DateTime Suite project please see <http://datetime.perl.org>. perl v5.12.4 2011-08-22 Set::Infinite::_recurrence(3pm)