Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Boot Floppy made in external drive Post 302194421 by Texasone on Monday 12th of May 2008 11:10:56 PM
Old 05-13-2008
Boot Floppy made in external drive

there is probably another post about this, i just can't find it on unix.com or google. basically, i am trying to make a boot floppy via CLI/terminal. the problem is that i use an external drive. when i do the first couple of steps, i get rejected. when i do the mounting and unmounting, all the sites tell me to use 'fd0'. it never works for me, im a newbee, correct me if im wrong, isn't fd0 for an internal floppy drive?

some one know the coding to make a boot floppy for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or DreamLinux?

if you need me to post any info like directories of the drives on my box, just tell me.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

boot floppy

hello , i have sun sparc machine with sunos2.7 , the machine has a cdrom but no floppy drive , it is networked with windows machine , from where i can use ftp and telnet. can i use floppy drive of windows machine and create a boot image(of unix) on that drive, using ftp? thanx raju (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju
4 Replies

2. BSD

Floppy drive problem.

My FreeBSD install at ad0s1, and Windows 2000 at ad2s1. Everytime I start my FreeBSD, it shows me this message: fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3 pmtimer 0 on isa0 fdc0: cannot reserve I/O port range (6 ports) My Floppy drive info: 0x03F2 - 0x03F3 0x03F4 - 0x03F5 0x03F7 - 0x03F7... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: _cs
6 Replies

3. HP-UX

scsi floppy drive addressing

Does anyone know of a site that documents the various addressing schemes used with SCSI floppy disk drives? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drew_Harrison
5 Replies

4. AIX

Boot Floppy

Dear Sirs, I would like to make a Boot Floppy for the RS6k F30. Somebody can help me? Spart (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spartiate
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 floppy drive problem

I have inserted a diskette but I don't see the files nor the floppy drive. These are the commands I ran. #volcheck -v #rmformat With rmformat, only the CD-ROM is listed. I don't see any floppy drive. How can I get my floppy drive to work?? I know it is connected b/c when I boot in XP, I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Sunfire 280R Can't Recognize Floppy Drive

Greetings all, I'm in a bit of a situation. I have this Sunfire 280R system that did not have a floppy drive in it, yet we needed one. We grabbed one from another Sun box we had laying around unused, and installed it. The system couldnt recognize it. Tried another floppy drive (non-sun) and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snackiesmores
4 Replies

7. SCO

mounting USB floppy drive /Flash drive in OSR 6.0

Can anybody help me out to mount USB flash /floppy drive in sco openserver 6.0 . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshdrajan
5 Replies

8. SCO

Sco 5.0.7 on ibm server, no floppy drive.

I cannot install sco on this particular ibm server because sco cannot find the raid controller and thefore the logical drive. I have a floppy disk that I use in other machines when boot: shows on the screen. I usually type restart link=ad320 and it works but this time i have no floppy drive. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iNetForce
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Boot Solaris off of an old external hard drive

Hi Folks, First a little background, I am working on a ship that operates in the Indian Ocean and Persian/Arabian gulf area. We had a Sunblade 2000 that finally died. The Video board burned up and I guess damaged the mother board. So we ordered 2 rebuilt 2000s one as a spare. Due to mounting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sean.kelly
1 Replies
GRUB(8) 								FSF								   GRUB(8)

NAME
grub - the grub shell SYNOPSIS
grub [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Enter the GRand Unified Bootloader command shell. --batch turn on batch mode for non-interactive use --boot-drive=DRIVE specify stage2 boot_drive [default=0x0] --config-file=FILE specify stage2 config_file [default=/boot/grub/menu.lst] --device-map=FILE use the device map file FILE --help display this message and exit --hold wait until a debugger will attach --install-partition=PAR specify stage2 install_partition [default=0x20000] --no-config-file do not use the config file --no-curses do not use curses --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --no-pager do not use internal pager --preset-menu use the preset menu --probe-second-floppy probe the second floppy drive --read-only do not write anything to devices --verbose print verbose messages --version print version information and exit REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub should give you access to the complete manual. grub (GNU GRUB 0.97) May 2005 GRUB(8)