Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How do I get system answer in c Post 302194383 by eldaran on Monday 12th of May 2008 08:21:26 PM
Old 05-12-2008
Instead of what?
I do not create or open a file. All I need is to get the answer of any command from the command line into a string, "pwd" is just an example.

Can you please give a simple example?

Situation: I have

char command[50] = "ls";

system(command); // executes the string

___________________?

Last edited by eldaran; 05-12-2008 at 09:27 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

get system() answer ?

Hi , how can i get the system reply from a system() command ? is it possible to evaluate the return of a system command ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sven28
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

urgent answer these please

Hi, Please explain what does '$*' mean. what does the command cd /~abc do, especially what does '~' mean? cheers. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uni_ajay_r
1 Replies

3. Programming

can any one answer ????

Q.1 Diffrence between terminal and pseudo-terminal ? Q.2 What is terminal login ? What is a netwok Login ? Q.3 What is meant by baud rate of a terminal ? Q.4 which structure is used for job control in Unix/Linux ?and where these structure are means in which directory ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Can anybody answer this.....

Hi i am trying the threads concept in unix environment using C... but i am getting error of "wait_fd: Couldn't find procinfo for fd 24"... what does this error mean..... help me in solving this issue... Thanks in advance shivamasam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamasam
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quick answer

i know by posting this people are going to get mad at me but, when i try to download unix for my Windows XP i find a whole bunch of files that i dont know what to do with, so please help, sorry if this has already been posted... or is a stupid question :o (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkestEvil
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Answer them if u can...

Try to answer these questions on Unix: 1.what will be the segment() function do? 2.How Unix is more powerful than Windows? 3.Where ownership details will be stored of a particular file in Unix? 4.State different uses of ^ symbol in regular expressions. 5.What does export command used for?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreambig
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me to answer this

Hello everyone I update my question. Thanks for your reply joeyg If I type the last command and send to a text file. I get this last >usuarios.txt root pts/0 160.40.35.277 May 22 11:08 still logged in. root pts/0 alopez02 May 22 09:23 - 10:11 (00:47) root pts/0 160.40.35.277 May 20... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I welcome all to answer my Q's

Hi everyone,, I am new to the forum...but not to Unix. I have gathered few questions from my mates who attended interviews in various companies as I have to attend one on dec 3rd for Sys admin position. Please respond with the answers you know and also help with various other interview... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: impawan
2 Replies

9. Solaris

==please answer the following questions==

Hello :) ! i've few doubts. 1) how can we find the newly attached disk in SOLARIS ? 2) how to change port number of a service ? 3) how can we find that autofs is running in our system without using svcs and prstat commands ? 4) we know that there are several types of dns servers in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
0 Replies
ar.h(3HEAD)							      Headers							       ar.h(3HEAD)

NAME
ar.h, ar - archive file format SYNOPSIS
#include <ar.h> DESCRIPTION
The archive command ar is used to combine several files into one. Archives are used mainly as libraries to be searched by the link editor ld. Each archive begins with the archive magic string. #define ARMAG "!<arch> " /* magic string */ #define SARMAG 8 /* length of magic string */ Following the archive magic string are the archive file members. Each file member is preceded by a file member header which is of the fol- lowing format: #define ARFMAG "` " /* header trailer string */ struct ar_hdr /* file member header */ { char ar_name[16]; /* '/' terminated file member name */ char ar_date[12]; /* file member date */ char ar_uid[6] /* file member user identification */ char ar_gid[6] /* file member group identification */ char ar_mode[8] /* file member mode (octal) */ char ar_size[10]; /* file member size */ char ar_fmag[2]; /* header trailer string */ }; All information in the file member headers is in printable ASCII. The numeric information contained in the headers is stored as decimal numbers (except for ar_mode which is in octal). Thus, if the archive contains printable files, the archive itself is printable. If the file member name fits, the ar_name field contains the name directly, and is terminated by a slash (/) and padded with blanks on the right. If the member's name does not fit, ar_name contains a slash (/) followed by a decimal representation of the name's offset in the ar- chive string table described below. The ar_date field is the modification date of the file at the time of its insertion into the archive. Common format archives can be moved from system to system as long as the portable archive command ar is used. Each archive file member begins on an even byte boundary; a newline is inserted between files if necessary. Nevertheless, the size given reflects the actual size of the file exclusive of padding. Notice there is no provision for empty areas in an archive file. Each archive that contains object files (see a.out(4)) includes an archive symbol table. This symbol table is used by the link editor ld to determine which archive members must be loaded during the link edit process. The archive symbol table (if it exists) is always the first file in the archive (but is never listed) and is automatically created and/or updated by ar. The archive symbol table has a zero length name (that is, ar_name[0] is '/'), ar_name[1]==' ', etc.). All ``words'' in this symbol table have four bytes, using the machine-independent encoding shown below. All machines use the encoding described here for the symbol table, even if the machine's ``natural'' byte order is different. 0 1 2 3 0x01020304 01 02 03 04 The contents of this file are as follows: 1. The number of symbols. Length: 4 bytes. 2. The array of offsets into the archive file. Length: 4 bytes * ``the number of symbols''. 3. The name string table. Length: ar_size - 4 bytes * (``the number of symbols'' + 1). As an example, the following symbol table defines 4 symbols. The archive member at file offset 114 defines name. The archive member at file offset 122 defines object. The archive member at file offset 426 defines function and the archive member at file offset 434 defines name2. Example Symbol Table Offset +0 +1 +2 +3 ___________________ 0 | 4 | 4 offset entries |___________________| 4 | 114 | name |___________________| 8 | 122 | object |___________________| 12 | 426 | function |___________________| 16 | 434 | name2 |___________________| 20 | n | a | m | e | |____|____|____|____| 24 | | o | b | j | |____|____|____|____| 28 | e | c | t | | |____|____|____|____| 32 | f | u | n | c | |____|____|____|____| 36 | t | i | o | n | |____|____|____|____| 40 | | n | a | m | |____|____|____|____| 44 | e | 2 | | | |____|____|____|____| The string table contains exactly as many null terminated strings as there are elements in the offsets array. Each offset from the array is associated with the corresponding name from the string table (in order). The names in the string table are all the defined global symbols found in the common object files in the archive. Each offset is the location of the archive header for the associated symbol. If some archive member's name is more than 15 bytes long, a special archive member contains a table of file names, each followed by a slash and a new-line. This string table member, if present, will precede all ``normal'' archive members. The special archive symbol table is not a ``normal'' member, and must be first if it exists. The ar_name entry of the string table's member header holds a zero length name ar_name[0]=='/', followed by one trailing slash (ar_name[1]=='/'), followed by blanks (ar_name[2]==' ', etc.). Offsets into the string ta- ble begin at zero. Example ar_name values for short and long file names appear below. Offset +0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 __________________________________________________ 0 | f | i | l | e | _ | n | a | m | e | _ | |____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____| 10 | s | a | m | p | l | e | / | | l | o | |____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____| 20 | n | g | e | r | f | i | l | e | n | a | |____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____| 30 | m | e | x | a | m | p | l | e | / | | |____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____| Member Name ar_name _______________________________________________________________ short-name | short-name/ | Not in string table | | file_name_sample | /0 | Offset 0 in string table | | longerfilenamexample | /18 | Offset 18 in string table _____________________|______________|___________________________ SEE ALSO
ar(1), ld(1), strip(1), a.out(4) NOTES
The strip utility will remove all archive symbol entries from the header. The archive symbol entries must be restored with the -ts options of the ar command before the archive can be used with the link editor ld. SunOS 5.10 1 Jul 1998 ar.h(3HEAD)