Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to hook file changes?
Top Forums Programming How to hook file changes? Post 302194160 by jim mcnamara on Monday 12th of May 2008 10:39:58 AM
Old 05-12-2008
This would probably not be generic across platforms. Linux has a change notify capability now, for example. But nothing like that exists in the HPUX kernel. However, samba does have the feature enbedded, since it is a filesystem - NFS.
Other Samba Configuration Issues
So in this sense you can have change notification on a kernel with out it - by modifying the filesystem code. Which is not very practical.

If you are working in the Linux world you can read about inotify (inode notify) here:
Kernel Korner - Intro to inotify

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

would like to hook up linux system to another computer!

I have desktop with both windows and fedora core 2 installed on it which I have also hooked up to my psion 5mx palm device that is stored in the windows drive... and i just access the files by mounting them onto my linux drive.. now I have a laptop too .. with the same directories as the linux... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
7 Replies

2. Solaris

File System Hook

Background: DEDS is used to exchange files between Our Client and outside world. It is running on Sun v480 server OS 5.8. The files can come into or go out from various directories configured for various interfaces and come from both Our Client side as well as outside world. Requirement: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdhana
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun Blade 150 - I can't hook up extra drives

I'm not familiar with this particular machine and it's baffling me. For those that are familar with the workstation, allow me to paint a picture. If you were looking down on the machine (open) you would see the main board and then a riser board. On the left side of the riser board are jacks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silversaleen68
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The Gary Hook tutorial

Hi All, There has been talk about UNIX self-paced online tutorials written by Gary Hook, and that they are very good, specifically AIX. I am looking for the latest version of AIX, administration, tuning, networking, etc. (Like version 5 or 5L.) Basics to mid-range. I have searched all... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The Gary Hook tutorial

Hi All, One more time (!). I have started a contract job and am looking for any online tutorials for AIX, 5 or 5L, just an overview to brush up on system administration, security, networking, etc. with the newer and Linux linked versions. Several people on the web have indicated in other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Home Directory for Users in Login Hook Script

I'm writing a script to use as a LoginHook for my Mac users. As part of this script, I need to write to a location in their home directory, but I can't seem to access the path - at this point in the login process, $HOME is empty and ~ gives the path to root's home. Unfortunately, I can't just do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blondepianist
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making post down hook script for svn regarding sending emails after an file is committed in svn

Hi Folks , I am asking this question but i apologise please if this is not the correct forum , I have to develop a shell script that i want to place in at hooks/post-commit , that is basically i have to develop a post hook script and the main functionality of that script would be lets say if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunsun06060606
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Enable 'make uninstall' hook?

Heyas I'm currently trying to make 'make uninstall' work properly, as it doesnt remove empty directories. To do so, i've applied: uninstall-hook: if test -d $docdir; then rmdir $docdir; fi As stated (example) in automake - 'make uninstall': Howto remove empty directories - Stack... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies
hook(3FORM)															       hook(3FORM)

NAME
form_hook - set hooks for automatic invocation by applications SYNOPSIS
#include <form.h> int set_field_init(FORM *form, Form_Hook func); Form_Hook field_init(const FORM *form); int set_field_term(FORM *form, Form_Hook func); Form_Hook field_term(const FORM *form); int set_form_init(FORM *form, Form_Hook func); Form_Hook form_init(const FORM *form); int set_form_term(FORM *form, Form_Hook func); Form_Hook form_term(const FORM *form); DESCRIPTION
These functions make it possible to set hook functions to be called at various points in the automatic processing of input event codes by form_driver. The function set_field_init sets a hook to be called at form-post time and each time the selected field changes (after the change). field_init returns the current field init hook, if any (NULL if there is no such hook). The function set_field_term sets a hook to be called at form-unpost time and each time the selected field changes (before the change). field_term returns the current field term hook, if any (NULL if there is no such hook). The function set_form_init sets a hook to be called at form-post time and just after a page change once it is posted. form_init returns the current form init hook, if any (NULL if there is no such hook). The function set_form_term sets a hook to be called at form-unpost time and just before a page change once it is posted. form_init returns the current form term hook, if any (NULL if there is no such hook). RETURN VALUE
Routines that return pointers return NULL on error. Other routines return one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), form(3FORM). NOTES
The header file <form.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V forms library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. hook(3FORM)