Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions DOS/Windows CR to a UNIX LF 17 MB text file Post 302194159 by era on Monday 12th of May 2008 10:32:27 AM
Old 05-12-2008
In fact transferring the file in ASCII mode should handle the line ending conversion during the transfer for you. It might (but most likely won't) make other changes, too, if the file contains special characters, but if as you say it's basically ASCII text, then transferring it in ASCII mode is really all it takes.

There are various tools to look at the raw bytes in a file; one of the purposes of a hex editor is to be able to inspect the precise bytes in a file so you can spot e.g. line ending anomalies. The control character ctrl-J is called a "line feed" and is used to end a line on Unix systems (and thus on the hosting account you are using) whereas on legacy DOS-based systems you use two characters, a sequence of ctrl-M (carriage return) and line feed. In a hex editor, they will show up as 0D and 0A, respectively.

Here's a hex dump of a fragment of text just to show you an example. You can see how each pair of hexadecimal (base-16) digits on the left correspond to one ASCII character on the right; for example, hex 65 is lower case "e".

Code:
54 68 65 20 63 6f 6e 74 72 6f 6c 20 63 68 61 72  The control char
61 63 74 65 72 20 63 74 72 6c 2d 4a 20 69 73 20  acter ctrl-J is 
63 61 6c 6c 65 64 20 61 20 22 6c 69 6e 65 20 66  called a "line f
65 65 64 22 20 61 6e 64 20 69 73 20 75 73 65 64  eed" and is used

The convention to use hexadecimal (base 16) instead of the familiar base 10 (decimal) is a convenience; it means that all possible byte values can be represented with exactly two digits, and important "computer" numbers -- factors of two -- are easy to spot. Character codes below 32 (hex 20, the space character) are conventionally called "control characters"; this goes way back to the early formation of character sets in the 1950s and ASCII in the 1960s.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

how can I create a dos file in sco unix?

I want to output something to file1. And I want to see it in windows xp would you tell me how? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fresh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

windows to unix text in subdirectories

Hey, I'm trying to install a java web archive on unix but all the jsp's are in windows text format. I need to convert them all to unix text at once but I really don't want to do that on a file per file basis so I need to loop over all text files in all subdirectories and change the ^M. Does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting Unix text to windows

I am trying to FTP a text file from a machine running LynxOS and I am having problems with the way windows "sees" the characters. For example this is how windows presents the text:     DevProcRcpClass The boxes are what I am having problems with. When viewing the same file on a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mchristisen
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

?Using Unix commands in Microsoft (Windows') DOS Prompt?

I ran a search for "Unix Dos" in the search field box and checked a few pages' results but did not find what I was looking for. I am trying to find out if there are choices of applications that would enable using Unix commands inside a Windows environment, particularly the DOS Prompt. The only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove ^M from windows text file in unix

Hi, Need help on windows text file that i get in unix server and need to change and resend for process. Now there is a ^M will be placed for each line of that file i need that to be removed . Someone please help me. Thanks in advance for all help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pragy1999
1 Replies

6. Programming

windows to dos file name conversion x'ad'

We are running a java client server application on Solaris 10. External Users from around the country attach windows files through a client and these files are stored on a unix server. Recently I've started getting files that have a hex value of ad in their names. This causes a tar command to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to count blank lines in a file in DOS format

Hi Team, The content of the file is as follows. asdf 234 asdf asdf dsfg gh 67 78 The file is in DOS format (not in Unix Format). The file is transferred to Unix. I need a unix command to check the number of blank lines in a input (comming from Windows). If it is greater than... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
4 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Convert UNIX text file in Windows to recognize line breaks

Hmmm I think I found the correct subforum to ask my question... I have some text files that I prepared in vi some time ago, and now I want to open and edit them with Windows Notepad. I don't have a Unix terminal at the moment so I need to do the conversion in Windows. Is there a way to do this?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UNIX text file in Windows to recognize line breaks

Hi all, I have some text files that I prepared in vi some time ago, and now I want to open and edit them with Windows Notepad. I don't have a Unix terminal at the moment so I need to do the conversion in Windows. Is there a way to do this? Or just reinsert thousands of line breaks again :eek: ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
2 Replies
ctype(3C)																 ctype(3C)

NAME
ctype: isalnum(), isalpha(), isascii(), isblank(), iscntrl(), isdigit(), isgraph(), islower(), isprint(), ispunct(), isspace(), isupper(), isxdigit() - classify characters according to type SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
These functions classify character-coded integer values according to the rules of the coded character set identified by the last successful call to (see setlocale(3C)). Each function is a predicate returning nonzero for true, zero for false. If has not been called successfully, characters are classified according to the rules of the default ASCII 7-bit coded character set (see setlocale(3C)). is defined on all integer values; the other functions are defined for the range (EOF) through RETURN VALUE
The functions return nonzero under the following circumstances; zero otherwise: c is an alphanumeric (letters or digits). c is a letter. c is any ASCII character code between 0 and 0177, inclusive. c is a blank character; that is, a space or a tab. c is a control character (in ASCII: character codes less than 040 and the delete character(0177)). c is a decimal digit (in ASCII: characters [0-9]). c is a visible character (in ASCII: printing characters, excluding the space character(040)). c is a lowercase letter. c is a printing character. c is a punctuation character (in ASCII: any printing character except the space character(040), digits, letters). c is a character that creates whitespace in displayed text (in ASCII: space, tab, carriage return, newline, verti- cal tab, and formfeed). c is an uppercase letter. c is a hexadecimal digit (in ASCII: characters [0-9], [A-F] or [a-f]). If the argument to any of these functions is outside the domain of the function, the result is undefined. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables The category determines the classification of character type. International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
These functions are supplied both as library functions and as macros defined in the header. Normally, the macro versions are used. To obtain the library function, either use a to remove the macro definition or, if compiling in ANSI-C mode, enclose the function name in parenthesis or take its address. The following example uses the library functions for and AUTHOR
was developed by IBM, OSF, and HP. SEE ALSO
setlocale(3C), ascii(5), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
ctype(3C)