Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users any reason for a user without a homedir - security/config/application? Post 302193976 by frozentin on Monday 12th of May 2008 01:47:28 AM
Old 05-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius
...Most of these are actual user accounts but some of them are application users...
...resolve this by creating the users homedir if it doesn't exist and adjust the passwd file...
You could assign /tmp as the home dir for these users. I always feel a little queasy about putting somebody in "/", lest they also have sudo permissions, and (even unknowingly) cause major trouble.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with capturing homedir via ssh and saving to variable

I need to capture the homedir using the ssh command and then saving it to a variable. The results from the following command is what I need to capture to a variable: NOTE: the value I'm getting back is also incorrect. as it seems to be getting the home dir from the local server and not the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reneuend
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to send config file to other application

hi.. i have one c++ pgm which run shell script.shell script reads username and password from file.This pgm check username password is correct or not.After checking this i want to send config file of respective user to other application.I made config file also.My problem is how to send this config... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

how to send config file to other application

hi.. i have one c++ pgm which run shell script.shell script reads username and password from file.This pgm check username password is correct or not.After checking this i want to send config file of respective user to other application.I made config file also.My problem is how to send this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

4. SuSE

How to config root kde same as user?

Eclipse looks completely different when run under root compared to my user. It's like kde wasn't setup for root upon installation. I'm running Suse 9.3 Pro. How do I configure root kde so that eclipse looks the same when run as user? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shwick2
3 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

postfix config: how to relay mails for only one user of a certain domain

Hello there, First of all I tell you that this is my first postfix installation so please be patient... I have following scenario: fetchmail --> postfix --> amavis-new --> postfix --> exchange 2010. Everything -except exchange ;-)- runs on an opensuse 12.1 box. Now, I have a list of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lpacor
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Regarding application of security patches RHEL 5.5

Hi Is there a direct way to apply a particular security advisory on the system. Presently we have certain security advisories to be applied which require installation of multiple rpms and their dependencies. These rpms as listed in the security advisory also mention that they have been... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapanvas
0 Replies
qmail-users(5)							File Formats Manual						    qmail-users(5)

NAME
qmail-users - assign mail addresses to users OVERVIEW
The file /var/lib/qmail/users/assign assigns addresses to users. For example, =joe.shmoe:joe:503:78:/home/joe::: says that mail for joe.shmoe should be delivered to user joe, with uid 503 and gid 78, as specified by /home/joe/.qmail. Assignments fed to qmail-newu will be used by qmail-lspawn to control qmail-local's deliveries. See qmail-newu(8). A change to /var/lib/qmail/users/assign will have no effect until qmail-newu is run. STRUCTURE
/var/lib/qmail/users/assign is a series of assignments, one per line. It ends with a line containing a single dot. Lines must not contain NUL. SIMPLE ASSIGNMENTS
A simple assignment is a line of the form =local:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:ext: Here local is an address; user, uid, and gid are the account name, uid, and gid of the user in charge of local; and messages to local will be controlled by homedir/.qmaildashext. If there are several assignments for the same local address, qmail-lspawn will use the first one. local is interpreted without regard to case. WILDCARD ASSIGNMENTS
A wildcard assignment is a line of the form +loc:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:pre: This assignment applies to any address beginning with loc, including loc itself. It means the same as =locext:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:preext: for every string ext. A more specific wildcard assignment overrides a less specific assignment, and a simple assignment overrides any wildcard assignment. For example: +:alias:7790:2108:/var/lib/qmail/alias:-:: +joe-:joe:507:100:/home/joe:-:: =joe:joe:507:100:/home/joe::: The address joe is handled by the third line; the address joe-direct is handled by the second line; the address bill is handled by the first line. SEE ALSO
qmail-pw2u(8), qmail-newu(8), qmail-lspawn(8) qmail-users(5)