Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Active / Non Active users ?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Active / Non Active users ? Post 302193918 by varungupta on Sunday 11th of May 2008 07:13:06 PM
Old 05-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysgate
For the first question : use who or finger and you'll see who's logged. For the second - how is the access policy organized - controlled by which application or audit control in your case ? We can't be aware of the policy your organization is using or have applied on your servers.
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.
I wanted to know who all has the access to the server to login as a user.
List of users who has logged in ever to the server, how to get the list of those ?
I knew how to check all the current logged in users ( as you said : finger , who ).

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Command for list of active/disabled users

Hi, I want to know the command for finding out the list of active/disabled users in Linux System. Model:x86_64. Rev:2.6.9 Thanks in advance for your help Mike (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
1 Replies

2. AIX

Question about HACMP for active-active mode

Hi all, I am new to HACMP. So sorry for the newie question. But I did search the forum and it seems that no one asks this before. So if a 2-node cluster runs in active-active mode (and the same application), what is the benefit of using HACMP ? If it runs in active-stanby, it is easy to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

control permissions for Active Directory users on AIX

Hello, I've configured an user authentication against Active Directory (Windows Server 2008 R2) on AIX V6 with LDAP. It works fine. And here's my problem: How can I control ldap user permissions on the local AIX machine? E.g. an AD user should be able to write all files of local sys... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xia777
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Link based Active Active IPMP

Hi, I need to configure 4 ip address (same subnet and mask) in one ipmp group (two interfaces) in an active active formation (link based). Can some one provide the steps or a tutorial link. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
2 Replies

5. AIX

Authenticate AIX users from MS Active Directory

First, let me start off saying this is not spam. This is me trying to help out other AIX Admins with MS AD servers. If it is not applicable to you, someone else will find it useful. As long as the "KDC" service is running on your AD server, these steps should work. There should be no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I calculate total number of active and non active hosts?

#!/bin/bash for digit in $(seq 1 10) do if ping -c1 -w2 192.168.1.$digit &> /dev/null then echo "192.168.1.$digit is UP" else echo "192.168.1.$digit is DOWN" fi done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusetrips
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Simple loop to mail all active users.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Send a fortune to all active/logged in users 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: So I understand... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjcraig77
8 Replies
finger(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         finger(1)

NAME
finger - display information about local and remote users SYNOPSIS
finger [-bfhilmpqsw] [username...] finger [-l] [ username@hostname 1 [ @hostname 2 .. .@hostname n...]] finger [-l] [ @hostname 1 [ @hostname 2 .. .@hostname n...]] DESCRIPTION
By default, the finger command displays in multi-column format the following information about each logged-in user: o user name o user's full name o terminal name (prepended with a `*' (asterisk) if write-permission is denied) o idle time o login time o host name, if logged in remotely Idle time is in minutes if it is a single integer, in hours and minutes if a `:' (colon) is present, or in days and hours if a `d' is present. When one or more username arguments are given, more detailed information is given for each username specified, whether they are logged in or not. username must be that of a local user, and may be a first or last name, or an account name. Information is presented in multi-line format as follows: o the user name and the user's full name o the user's home directory and login shell o time the user logged in if currently logged in, or the time the user last logged in; and the terminal or host from which the user logged in o last time the user received mail, and the last time the user read mail o the first line of the $HOME/.project file, if it exists o the contents of the $HOME/.plan file, if it exists Note: when the comment (GECOS) field in /etc/passwd includes a comma, finger does not display the information following the comma. If the arguments username@hostname1[@hostname2...@hostnamen] or @hostname1[@hostname2...@hostnamen] are used, the request is sent first to hostnamen and forwarded through each hostnamen-1 to hostname1. The program uses the finger user information protocol (see RFC 1288) to query that remote host for information about the named user (if username is specified), or about each logged-in user. The information dis- played is server dependent. As required by RFC 1288, finger passes only printable, 7-bit ASCII data. This behavior may be modified by a system administrator by using the PASS option in /etc/default/finger. Specifying PASS=low allows all characters less than decimal 32 ASCII. Specifying PASS=high allows all characters greater than decimal 126 ASCII. PASS=low,high or PASS=high,low allows both characters less than 32 and greater than 126 to pass through. OPTIONS
The following options are supported, except that the username@hostname form supports only the -l option: -b Suppresses printing the user's home directory and shell in a long format printout. -f Suppresses printing the header that is normally printed in a non-long format printout. -h Suppresses printing of the .project file in a long format printout. -i Forces "idle" output format, which is similar to short format except that only the login name, terminal, login time, and idle time are printed. -l Forces long output format. -m Matches arguments only on user name (not first or last name). -p Suppresses printing of the .plan file in a long format printout. -q Forces quick output format, which is similar to short format except that only the login name, terminal, and login time are printed. -s Forces short output format. -w Suppresses printing the full name in a short format printout. FILES
$HOME/.plan user's plan $HOME/.project user's projects /etc/default/finger finger options file /etc/passwd password file /var/adm/lastlog time of last login /var/adm/utmpx accounting ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), who(1), whois(1), passwd(4), attributes(5) Zimmerman, D., The Finger User Information Protocol, RFC 1288, Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science (DIMACS), Rutgers University, December 1991. NOTES
The finger user information protocol limits the options that may be used with the remote form of this command. SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 finger(1)