Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting automatically answer a question raised by a command Post 302193783 by frozentin on Sunday 11th of May 2008 03:43:00 AM
Old 05-11-2008
Instead of typing a "space" in your <<here doc, you could try giving it the octal value for that keystroke. That may work.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A question that need an answer Plz

I'm with FreeBSD 4.6.2, and i would like to know how to install this ports : ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/net/kmerlin There's no .tgz so i can't do the pkg_add command. Can you please help me??? Thank You. :) Erythro73 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erythro73
6 Replies

2. Programming

When is SIGCHLD is raised.

Hi, I have 2 processes X and Y. Y is exec() from X. In Y i have an exit handler, which is called when i return from main. With in exit handler i delete and object which in turn calls the destructor of the object, which terminates all the threads of Y. I believe that SIGCHLD is raised by Y as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supersumanth
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stupid question but please answer

How do i save a script in unix. do i just type something like #!/bin/sh # This is a comment! echo Hello World #This is also a comment Then just go to save as and save it or what? just kinda confused me as i was reading different things and playing around (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please, i need an answer to this question!!

Hello!! I need some help about a question... It was asked in exams 3 years ago in Greece and nobody is certain abou the answer. Others say that the right answer is b and others say c. I found this forum and i saw that you know a lot of things about UNIX so i hope that some of you will help me.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evoula_vou
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populating array raised an error

Hi, The following test case populate an array named: array3. Since array1 and array2 are equal in length and values array3 will remain empty. #!/usr/bin/ksh test() { set -A array1 "A" set -A array2 "A" NUM_1=`echo ${#array1}` print "num elenemt in NUM_1 is ${NUM_1}" i=1 for ELE2 in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris JumpStarting?... Simple Yes/No Question... Unless the answer's 'No'

I'm reading through this guide, BigAdmin Feature Article: Using Solaris JumpStart With the Solaris 10 OS for x86/x64 Platforms, and I was wondering if there was more to the bash scripts than just the example given (see above link) like for begin1 and begin2 and finish1 and finish2. I don't know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clarification on '1 days ago' in date command [Found answer, posted within]

I know the topic of getting yesterday's date has been covered ad nauseum, but I just want to be clear on something. I recently started using the command date --date='1 days ago' '+%m/%d/%y' to get yesterday's date and it's been working great. I just want to be certain that it is going to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TAR question (probably a very simple answer)

Hi All, I have a (probably) very simple tar question on a Solaris box that I'm a little embarrassed to ask. After repeatedly checking man tar and searching for solutions online (I'm not sure of the correct "keywords" to look for) The question is: If I were to use the command:tar cf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
4 Replies
addbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							 addbib(1)

Name
       addbib - create or extend bibliographic database

Syntax
       addbib [-p promptfile] [-a] database

Description
       When  this program starts up, answering ``y'' to the initial ``Instructions?'' prompt yields directions; typing ``n'' or RETURN skips them.
       The command then prompts for various bibliographic fields, reads responses from the terminal, and sends output records to  a  database.	 A
       null  response (just RETURN) means to leave out that field.  A minus sign (-) means to go back to the previous field.  A trailing backslash
       allows a field to be continued on the next line.  The repeating ``Continue?'' prompt allows the user either to resume by  typing  ``y''	or
       RETURN, to quit the current session by typing ``n'' or ``q'', or to edit the database with any system editor ( ).

Options
       -a   Suppresses prompting for an abstract.  Asking for an abstract is the default.  Abstracts are ended with a CTRL/D.

-p   Causes use of a new prompting skeleton, defined in promptfile.  This file should contain prompt strings, a tab, and the key-letters to
	    be written to the database.

The most common key-letters and their meanings are given below.	The insulates you from these key-letters, since it gives  you  prompts	in
       English.  However, if you edit the bibliography file later, you need this information.

%A	 Author's name
	    %B	 Book containing article referenced
	    %C	 City (place of publication)
	    %D	 Date of publication
	    %E	 Editor of book containing article referenced
	    %F	 Footnote number or label (supplied by refer)
	    %G	 Government order number
	    %H	 Header commentary, printed before reference
	    %I	 Issuer (publisher)
	    %J	 Journal containing article
	    %K	 Keywords to use in locating reference
	    %L	 Label field used by -k option of refer
	    %M	 Bell Labs Memorandum (undefined)
	    %N	 Number within volume
	    %O	 Other commentary, printed at end of reference
	    %P	 Page number(s)
	    %Q	 Corporate or Foreign Author (unreversed)
	    %R	 Report, paper, or thesis (unpublished)
	    %S	 Series title
	    %T	 Title of article or book
	    %V	 Volume number
	    %X	 Abstract - used by roffbib, not by refer
	    %Y,Z ignored by refer

Except for `A', each field should be given once.  Only relevant fields should be supplied.  An example is:

%A	 Bill Tuthill
	    %T	 Refer - A Bibliography System
	    %I	 Computing Services
	    %C	 Berkeley
	    %D	 1982
	    %O	 UNX 4.3.5.

Files
       promptfile     Optional file to define prompting

See Also
       indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), sortbib(1)

addbib(1)