Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash - Add User script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash - Add User script Post 302193741 by niels.intl on Saturday 10th of May 2008 08:24:15 PM
Old 05-10-2008
I'm not sure what you mean. On line 53 I have 4 double quotes (")
-2 open / 2 close

The error message states:

line 53: syntax error near unexpected token `0'

But if you look at my actual code, there is no single quote next to the 0)

/Confusion

EDIT:
I should add.. I'm pretty new to scripting and UNIX in general. I have some know how of programming in C+, but a few drinks in me know.. so I may just be not seeing what you tried to tell me.

Last edited by niels.intl; 05-10-2008 at 09:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script verify user input is not empty and is equal to a value

I need to create a script that has a user enter a value. I want to verify that the value is either 1,2, or 3. If it is not then I want them to try entering it again. I am using a while loop to force them to retry. I am able to test the input against 1,2, and 3, but when I test agains an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartiati
4 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

brand new user!.. Lost on BASH script writing

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have just gotten into writing bash scripts for a class, part of the assignment is to read and be able to tell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to add new options in bash script

what i want to be is that i would like to reinvent new options that have the same functionality as ... -u is the same functionality of conv=ucase and -l have the same functionality as conv=lcase... is there a way that i can put these in my script so that whenever i will typed in command... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: aphryllyn1
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script for user creation in solaris

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting and have a task which need to be completed ASAP. I have searched all the forum and couln't find excat script which could run on solaris.can someone give me the fully working script for below. Bash shell script to create user account with paraments as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sintilash
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write bash script for creating user on multiple Linux hosts?

I wonder whether someone can help me with what I'm trying to achieve Basically, the objective is one script to create new user on more than 70 linux hosts if required. Everything works apart from the highlighted part. It gave me an output passwd: Unknown user name ''. when try to set... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugeulu
35 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Exit user in bash script

I'm writing a bunch of scripts to automatically configure Ubuntu and I want to run the code below to remove the white dots from the login screen: sudo xhost +SI:localuser:lightdm sudo su lightdm -s /bin/bash gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-grid false The problem is that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maerlyngb
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash Script for Dice Game; Issue with if...else loop to verify user guess is within range

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have written a script for a dice game that: (1) tells user that each of the 2 die are 6 sided (Spots=6); (2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LaurenRose
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl , download file with user:pass in bash script

Hello, My question is about curl command. (ubuntu14.04) In terminal, I am able to download my mainfile with: curl -u user1:pass1 http://11.22.33.44/******* When I convert it into bash script like this: #!/bin/bash cd /root/scripts computer_ip=11.22.33.44 curl -u $1:$2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
8 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)