Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [REQ] Automatic script kill process Post 302193621 by matrixmadhan on Saturday 10th of May 2008 05:29:17 AM
Old 05-10-2008
what is that you are trying to achieve ?

what is the difficulty in the approach or answer you had tried ?

Could you please post what you had tried first ? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill process

Hello guys, I have a process named monitoreo, with 'monitoreo start' my process start until i kill them, now i want to do 'monitoreo stop' to kill them. After 'monitoreo start' i have this process running: ps -af UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD ati 10958 1495 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic Kill -help

Hello We are using UNIX, (?) there were reports to us thAt their login was automatically killed, however we (root) did not issue a kill -9 PID, can anyone give me an idea what happen. To add, the user is not idled, he is actually doing something. also, i search all the thread, donno if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancemendioro
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

(Req)Shell script req

HI All Im new to shell scripting...kindly plz help me... I need a shell script for: We have to take export of all db's on daily basis from all svr's and keep these export backups on diffrent server. Plz help. Regards Gaurav (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergauravtaneja
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill process...

hello Bros, I need to write some script that i can put it on crontab which checks for a process X if running. If the process X is ruuning then take the PID and kill it or display message that says process X is not running. I am using AIX 5.3 Thanks guys.:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Kill a Process by Name...

Hello all... new to these forums and a bit of a newbie with linux aswell. I need to figure out how to write a shell script to kill a process by name as given to the script as an argument. I've got that part working OK, but i need to make sure that the script does not allow processes that are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cannon1707
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill the specific process

Hi I have the process to kill regulary, but the PSID is dymatic change and not sure how to kill the specific process ID Check the tradekast_rvd is running , if such process, kill the els process id ps -e f |grep tradekast_rvd ps -ef |grep els then I kill els process id ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_user
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

System not responding and Automatic process kill

Hi All, One of our servers stopped responding , unable to take any logins into it, the response is almost nil...later it resumed Also during this time one of our application processes which was costly on memory got killed..is it an OOM kill? Would like to know to know how to avoid such... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with write a master script to automatic 1000 process

Hi, I just random create 1000 folder which range from 0-20,000 . Inside all the folder, I have copy over the same program named as run.sh to run in each folder. Can I know that how to write a master script to let it automatic run the "run.sh" in each different random folder create? Some... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the processes specified by the pid operands. Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] If no operand is given, list the signal names; otherwise, write the signal name corresponding to exit_status. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following PIDs have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) Some shells may provide a builtin kill command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The kill utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Terminate the processes with PIDs 142 and 157: kill 142 157 Send the hangup signal (SIGHUP) to the process with PID 507: kill -s HUP 507 Terminate the process group with PGID 117: kill -- -117 SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), killall(1), ps(1), sh(1), kill(2), sigaction(2) STANDARDS
The kill utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
A replacement for the command ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD