Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting nawk-how count the number of occurances of a pattern, when don't know the pattern Post 302193600 by rubin on Saturday 10th of May 2008 02:22:12 AM
Old 05-10-2008
Code:
nawk '{a[$0]++}END{for (i in a) print  a[i] ,i}'

For a fancier output use:

Code:
nawk '{a[$0]++}END{for (i in a) printf "%-2d -> %.2f \n", a[i], i}' file

Output:

Code:
17 -> 49.95 
9  -> 49.99 
2  -> 55.96

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the number of occurences of this pattern?

Hi all, I have a pattern like this in a file: 123 4 56 789 234 5 67 789 121 3 56 789 222 4 65 789 321 6 90 100 478 8 40 789 243 7 80 789 How can I count the number of occurences of '789' (4th column) in this set...? Thanks for all your help! K (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of a pattern between each occurrence of a different pattern

I need to count the number of occurrences of a pattern, say 'key', between each occurrence of a different pattern, say 'lu'. Here's a portion of the text I'm trying to parse: lu S1234L_149_m1_vg.6, part-att 1, vdp-att 1 p-reserver IID 0xdb registrations: key 4156 4353 0000 0000 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slipstream
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of occurances of string in a file?

Gurus, Need little guidance. I have A.txt and B.txt file. B.txt file contains Unique strings. Sample content of B.txt file for which i cut the fourth column uniquely and output directed to B.txt file And A.txt file contains the above string as a fourth column which is last column. So A.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the number of files starting with a pattern in a Directory

Hi! In our current directory there are around 35000 files. Out of these a few thousands(around 20000) start with, "testfiles9842323879838". I want to count the number of files that have filenames starting with the above pattern. Please help me with the command i could use. Thank... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern

I am trying to search a file for a patterns ERR- in a file and return a count for each of the error reported Input file is a free flowing file without any format example of output ERR-00001=5 .... ERR-01010=10 ..... ERR-99999=10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count number of lines between a pattern in a large file

1000CUS E Y4NYRETAIL 10010004HELIOPOLIS 110000500022360591000056XX EG 1101DEBY XXAD ZSSKY TSSROS 1102HANYNNYY@HOTMAIL.COM 210030/05/201301/06/2013AED 3100 OPE 3100 CLO 3100 The 1000CUS E Y NYCORPORATE 10010004HELIOPOLIS 110000500025270504550203XX EG 1101XXXQ FOR CTING AND... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john2022
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find count total number of pattern in a file …?

How to find count total number of pattern in a file … File contains : a.txt ------------- aaa bbb nnn ccc aaa bbb aaa ddd aaa aaa aaa aaa grep -c aaa a.txt Op: 4 ( But my requirement is should count the total no of patterns as 7 ) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jitten
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of pattern matches per line for all files in directory

I have a directory of files, each with a variable (though small) number of lines. I would like to go through each line in each file, and print the: -file name -line number -number of matches to the pattern /comp/ for each line. Two example files: cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify file pattern, take count of pattern, then act

Guys - Need your ideas on a section of code to finish something up. To make a long story short, I'm parsing a print output file that goes to pre-printed forms. I'm intercepting it, parsing it, formatting it, cutting it up into individual pages, grabbing the text I want in zones, building an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampsys
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep pattern file and count occurances

Guys I am trying grep to read from pattern file and count occurances of each word. input is firstplace secondplace secondpot patternfile is place first second i want the following. 1-count number of times keywords in patternfile occurs in begining of each line in input file. so... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahfze
12 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)