Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High CPU activity running Oracle Post 302193264 by sparcguy on Thursday 8th of May 2008 11:53:37 PM
Old 05-09-2008
performance tuning is often trial and error process, sometimes is due to badly configured system even tho the system seems to have a lot of disk memory and cpu. Sometimes changing raid configuration may greatly improve performance.

how to find other clues.

do a top or prstat -a to find the biggest oracle process (usually it's a LOCAL=YES)

/usr/proc/bin/ptree to see if it spawn any other process

truss -p <process id> to see what it's doing ie read() or write() or semop() etc ...

sar 3 20 (3 seconds 20 rep) might also give some indication if there is high (and constand wio) wio is an indication disk contention.

if there is no or low wio but idle time for cpu is zero (constantly 0 all the time) could mean insufficient cpu.

vmstat 3 333 (look at the pi/po and sr columns) if there is high 'po' (page out) is indication there demand for memory. So when there is insufficient memory apps gets paged out to swap and swap is usually from disk so leads to high disk io hence it may show up in sar.

Application takes memory from free list, SR is a scan rate of how often the kernel will scan for memory dirty pages to add to the freelist.

If there is high po then sr should be busy as busy as po.

if there is high po and low sr is an indication of improper or unoptimized system. Review your system configuration, review your disk raid, review your system semaphore shared memory settings etc ....

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Aix high cpu activity

Hello everyone I have this process running on my server. topas command User 98.6 |############################ I have this process Name PID CPU% PgSp Owner db2fm 565264 25.6 1.5 ldapdb2 db2fm 348328 23.6 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU Activity

One of my user always complains about the load on the server, he works in a different location & time zone. Is it possible to check the CPU activity during specific time/days? let us say for example, i want to check the load on the server at 9 pm to 10 PM on August 22th ? Not the current load.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sydney2008
2 Replies

3. Solaris

High I/O on Sun server running Oracle.

Hi, Currently we have a Sun Fire 480R running Solaris 9 and Oracle 9.2.0.8. The server is fibre attached to a NetApp FAS3070. Two separate 100GB LUNs are presented to the server. The two LUNs are mounted as the file systems data and logs for the Oracle database. We are seeing high I/O... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

apache high cpu load on high traffic

i have a Intel Quad Core Xeon X3440 (4 x 2.53GHz, 8MB Cache, Hyper Threaded) with 16gig and 1tb harddrive with a 1gb port and my apache is causing my cpu to go up to 100% on all four cores heres my http.config <IfModule prefork.c> StartServers 10 MinSpareServers 10 MaxSpareServers 15... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awww
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what would a script include to find CPU's %system time high and user time high?

Hi , I am trying to :wall: my head while scripting ..I am really new to this stuff , never did it before :( . how to find cpu's system high time and user time high in a script?? thanks , help would be appreciated ! :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushwey
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

CPU is high

Hi , We found CPU is high due to python process .Is this something that Oracle team should look on or Unix team has to work on it ?Could you please advise use of python process ? top - 12:03:03 up 43 days, 15:11, 5 users, load average: 1.53, 1.33, 1.23 Tasks: 126 total, 3 running, 123... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
12 Replies
sizer(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  sizer(8)

Name
       sizer - a program that sizes system hardware

Syntax
       /etc/sizer [ options ]

Description
       The program reports various items of information about a kernel file and the running system.  It is also used to create a system configura-
       tion file in the doconfig command.

Options
       -b   Create a boot command file for the current system disk.  The program creates the appropriate and command files in These files can then
	    be used to update the systems console media.  This only applies for VAX 8600, VAX 780, VAX 6200, and VAX 3400 cpus.  This also applies
	    for the VAX 750 and VAX 8200 only if the system disk is connected to an HSC.

-c   Return the CPU type of the running cpu.

-t timezone
	    Use timezone in the config file.

-wt  Returns the workstation display type.

-wu  Returns the workstation display units.

-k image
	    Use the indicated kernel file instead of This is useful when the running system is not or you wish information about a system that	is
	    not running.

-n filename
	    Creates  a	configuration  file.   The system must be running the kernel unless the option is used. The option creates a configuration
	    file in and also a file required for called

NOTE: The user should run to build a new kernel.

-r   Return only the name of the root device and partition.

-s   Return only the CPU subtype of the running cpu.  This only applies to VAX cpus. It returns following values for the following cpus:

Returned
	       Value	 CPU

11	 VAX8800
	       10	 VAX8700
		9	 VAX8550
		8	 VAX8500
		6	 VAX8300
		5	 VAX8200
		4	 VAXstation/MVAX 2000/3100
		3	 VAX60
		1	 MVAXII, VAX3x00, VAX62xx

The value 0 is returned for all other cpu types.

Files
See Also
       config(8), doconfig(8)
       ULTRIX Advanced Installation Guide

sizer(8)