Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Escape Sequences appearing in scripts Post 302193099 by rubin on Thursday 8th of May 2008 01:31:10 PM
Old 05-08-2008
First you need to quote your variables, then I'd recommend to rename those files later. The following modified code was tested with filenames with escape chars in them:

Quote:
$ ls
\test1 \
\test2 \
\test3 \

Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
cd ${fromDirectory}

for file in *bkup*
 do
    cp "$file" "${toDirectory}"
 done

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Available escape sequences

:) Hi, Can any one help me to find available escape sequences in UNIX shell programming? ( Like \n, \c etc,. in C or C++) Iam generating one report using one of the script, in that it is very much essential. Regards, LOVE (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Love
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Mounted Slice not appearing

Hi friends.. Here is my problem.. I mounted a slice and make it permanent through entering the information in /etc/vfstab file ,,,but when i give df -kh ,,in the output the slice information is not appearing..but i can be able to open the mount point and access files as usual..I didn't give... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to input escape sequences in Linux tty?

More details: Unicode, Framebuffer. I tried to press Esc and then what should follow, letters or brackets, but seems not to work. Probably i do something wrong. If somebody is familiar with escape sequences in the console, how do you do that? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail not appearing to ps

I am having trouble finding the process, or subsystem, sendmail running on our client's server. They are runnning AIX version 5.3.9.0. When I run "ps -ef | grep sendmail" I only get my current ps process as a match. Running "ps -ef | more" and wading through the results also does not show sendmail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moviedude
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail utility not displaying escape sequences

Hello! I created a file that displays text underlined. However when I pass the file into the mail utility it doesnt display the underline. Here is the code: echo "\n\033 cat test_underline.txt mail -s "testing of underline" <email_address> < test_underline.txt Any ideas?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPERTS
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto escape script to escape special chars in script args

This is a bit off the wall, but I often need to run scripts where there are argument values that contain special characters. For example, $ ./process.exe -t M -N -o temp.mol.s -i ../molfiles/N,N\',N\'\'-trimethylbis\(hexamethylene\)triamine.mol && sfile_space_to_tab.sh temp.mol.s temp.s It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape Sequences

Hi Gurus, Escape sequences \n, \t, \b, \t, \033(1m are not working. I just practiced these escape sequences. It worked first. Later its not working. Also the command - echo inside the script editor shows as shaded by a color. Before that echo inside the script editor wont show like this.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaneshAnanth
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Re-appearing Files

Gurus I am running an AIX 7.1 system and have come across a strange issue. I am trying to delete files from a folder using standard 'rm' syntax. After i delete the files , files re-appear again. File renaming or editing does not help. Files re-appear with 0 bytes again. They are always 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeet
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove escape sequences from a text file?

Hello friends, Could anyone please advise on how to remove escape sequences from a text file? $ file input.txt input.txt: ASCII English text, with escape sequences I'm able to see those escape characters when opened in vi editor like shown below: ^ but not when I run more... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
6 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)