Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Why not a segmentation fault?? Post 302193052 by lagigliaivan on Thursday 8th of May 2008 11:13:28 AM
Old 05-08-2008
Thanks!

Hi Zarnick,

So, you mean that when I overwrite the return instruction pointer on the procedure stack I should receive a SegFault, but if I don't reach it I don't? and why not 2 bytes aren't enough??

Sorry, I don't want to be annoying!

Thanks!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

hello all, I tried a program on an array to intialise array elements from the standard input device.it is an integer array of 5 elements.but after entering the 4th element it throws a message called "Segmentation Fault" and returns to the command prompt without asking for the 5th element. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

2. Programming

Hi! segmentation fault

I have written a program which takes a directory as command line arguments and displays all the dir and files in it. I don't know why I have a problem with the /etc directory.It displays all the directories and files untill it reaches a sub directory called peers which is in /etc/ppp/peers.the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
4 Replies

3. Programming

segmentation fault

ive written my code in C for implementation of a simple lexical analyser using singly linked list hence am making use of dynamic allocation,but when run in linux it gives a segmentation fault is it cause of the malloc function that ive made use of????any suggestions as to what i could do??? thank... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockgal
8 Replies

4. AIX

Segmentation fault

Hi , During execution a backup binary i get following error "Program error 11 (Segmentation fault), saving core file in '/usr/datatools" Riyaz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rshaikh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

Hi, While comparing primary key data of two tables thr bteq script I am getting this Error. This script is a shell script. *** Error: The following error was encountered on the output file. Script.sh: 3043492 Segmentation fault(coredump) Please let me know how to get through it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
5 Replies

6. Programming

segmentation fault

Hi, I am having this segmentation fault not in the following program, bt. in my lab program . My lab program is horrible long so cannot post it here bt. I am using the following logic in my program which is giving the segmentation fault. Bt. if I run this sample program as it is it dosen't give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
3 Replies

7. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Segmentation Fault

this is a network programming code to run a rock paper scissors in a client and server. I completed it and it was working without any error. After I added the findWinner function to the server code it starts giving me segmentation fault. -the segmentation fault is fixed Current problem -Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
3 Replies

9. Programming

Segmentation fault

I keep getting this fault on a lot of the codes I write, I'm not exactly sure why so I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the idea to me. For example this code #include <stdio.h> main() { unsigned long a=0; unsigned long b=0; int z; { printf("Enter two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sizzler786
2 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
UNW_GET_PROC_INFO(3)					       Programming Library					      UNW_GET_PROC_INFO(3)

NAME
unw_get_proc_info -- get info on current procedure SYNOPSIS
#include <libunwind.h> int unw_get_proc_info(unw_cursor_t *cp, unw_proc_info_t *pip); DESCRIPTION
The unw_get_proc_info() routine returns auxiliary information about the procedure that created the stack frame identified by argument cp. The pip argument is a pointer to a structure of type unw_proc_info_t which is used to return the information. The unw_proc_info_t has the following members: unw_word_t start_ip The address of the first instruction of the procedure. If this address cannot be determined (e.g., due to lack of unwind informa- tion), the start_ip member is cleared to 0. unw_word_t end_ip The address of the first instruction beyond the end of the procedure. If this address cannot be determined (e.g., due to lack of unwind information), the end_ip member is cleared to 0. unw_word_t lsda The address of the language-specific data-area (LSDA). This area normally contains language-specific information needed during exception handling. If the procedure has no such area, this member is cleared to 0. unw_word_t handler The address of the exception handler routine. This is sometimes called the personality routine. If the procedure does not define a personality routine, the handler member is cleared to 0. unw_word_t gp The global-pointer of the procedure. On platforms that do not use a global pointer, this member may contain an undefined value. On all other platforms, it must be set either to the correct global-pointer value of the procedure or to 0 if the proper global-pointer cannot be obtained for some reason. unw_word_t flags A set of flags. There are currently no target-independent flags. For the IA-64 target, the flag UNW_PI_FLAG_IA64_RBS_SWITCH is set if the procedure may switch the register-backing store. int format The format of the unwind-info for this procedure. If the unwind-info consists of dynamic procedure info, format is equal to UNW_INFO_FORMAT_DYNAMIC. If the unwind-info consists of a (target-specific) unwind table, it is equal to to UNW_INFO_FORMAT_TABLE. All other values are reserved for future use by libunwind. This member exists for use by the find_proc_info() call-back (see unw_create_addr_space(3)). The unw_get_proc_info() routine may return an undefined value in this member. int unwind_info_size The size of the unwind-info in bytes. This member exists for use by the find_proc_info() call-back (see unw_create_addr_space(3)). The unw_get_proc_info() routine may return an undefined value in this member. void *unwind_info The pointer to the unwind-info. If no unwind info is available, this member must be set to NULL. This member exists for use by the find_proc_info() call-back (see unw_create_addr_space(3)). The unw_get_proc_info() routine may return an undefined value in this member. Note that for the purposes of libunwind, the code of a procedure is assumed to occupy a single, contiguous range of addresses. For this reason, it is alwas possible to describe the extent of a procedure with the start_ip and end_ip members. If a single function/routine is split into multiple, discontiguous pieces, libunwind will treat each piece as a separate procedure. RETURN VALUE
On successful completion, unw_get_proc_info() returns 0. Otherwise the negative value of one of the error-codes below is returned. THREAD AND SIGNAL SAFETY
unw_get_proc_info() is thread-safe. If cursor cp is in the local address-space, this routine is also safe to use from a signal handler. ERRORS
UNW_EUNSPEC An unspecified error occurred. UNW_ENOINFO Libunwind was unable to locate unwind-info for the procedure. UNW_EBADVERSION The unwind-info for the procedure has version or format that is not understood by libunwind. In addition, unw_get_proc_info() may return any error returned by the access_mem() call-back (see unw_create_addr_space(3)). SEE ALSO
libunwind(3), unw_create_addr_space(3), unw_get_proc_name(3) AUTHOR
David Mosberger-Tang Email: dmosberger@gmail.com WWW: http://www.nongnu.org/libunwind/. Programming Library 16 August 2007 UNW_GET_PROC_INFO(3)