Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting basic script for yes and no answers Post 302193037 by llsmr777 on Thursday 8th of May 2008 10:29:44 AM
Old 05-08-2008
THank you for the replies! Please bear with me as I am obviously very new to unix and scripting.

Dave Miller:
Can you break this down for me?
read answer
ans=`cat $answer"N" | cut -c1-1 | tr "y" "Y"`
if [ $ans = "Y" ]

1. since it says read answer should the $ be answer instead of ans?
2. I dont understand this syntax: ans=`cat $answer"N" | cut -c1-1 | tr "y" "Y"`
why cat $answer"N"
cut portion I know means cut the first colum of the answer so the first letter what is the -1
tr I know mean so change so is that saying if the user puts a lower case y change it an uppercase?

denn - is the reason you prefer case is because there are multiple answers and even lower case, uppercase answers etc?

Thanks!!!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic script?

All, I have a list of over 400 users that need certain directories created. These will be created in /users/$username on a system and I need a directory called chess under these directories that I create. Instead of me manually adding each one (mkdir /users/user1, mkdir /users/user1/chess)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help with a basic script

a) Total number of words in the file. b) Total number of different words in the file. How can I use the translate and/or unique commands to accomplish this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EECSDAVE
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to provide "answers" to SSL Cert Request

Hello, I need assistance with creating a shell script to generate SSL Certificate Requests on remote hosts. Below is my stab at this, but I cannot figure out how to pass the requested arguments into the openssl command correctly. I have a major problem with redirecting the "answers" into the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azvelocat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script give answers by file

Hi, I am new in perl. I am running a perl installation script, its asking for paths and so many inputs. Can we provide that info by any file. so i can avoid the interactive installation. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select answers from multiple questions using shell script

I have a text file in this format Some lines.... Question no: 1 The question? A. Answer 1 B. Answer 2 C. Answer 3 D. Answer 4 Answer:B Some lines.... Question no: 2 The question? (choose 2) (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to give multiple choices and a varying number of answers

Hello everybody, I use `case' quite a lot but , excellent as it is , it only gives one final result ; can anyone suggest a way whereas , say long lists of choices are given and I , or a user could select either one two or any number of results to be echoed . many thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: V686
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a little help with my first shell script. Basic image resize script...

Hey everyone, just now joined because I didn't want to go onto Ubuntu forums and start asking about how to write shell scripts. Seems like this is a pretty active forum for exactly what I need. I'm trying to modify a shell script I found online, the end goal is to have it find all files in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mozzles
9 Replies
PURITY(6)                                                          Games Manual                                                          PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)