Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Is Virtualisation Right for Colo? Post 302192193 by Karma on Tuesday 6th of May 2008 08:29:29 AM
Old 05-06-2008
Is Virtualisation Right for Colo?

Hi guys

I'm going to be moving a linux box into collocation to support the growing demands of my sites and have been trying to figure out if Xen is right for me. I'd appreciate hearing some real-world experience with the overhead involved and the optimal ways to slice up a box. Right now I feel I should either do an all-in-one setup with a hardened installation, use Xen to virtualise services I would normally run on other machines (such as DNS and SQL) and/or use Xen to rent out VPSes.

My main concern is that I don't have unlimited resources on this box, it's a dual p4-style 3.06GHz xeon with HT and 4 gigs of old ddr. So far I am going to need to accommodate the following:
- about 100,000 script-generated page views a day, with room for spikes, floods and other attacks
- dns services for about 30 domains, only three well traveled
- sql
- mail

Is Xen practical for my situation? I'm intrigued by the ability to replace and migrate virtual servers in a snap but not sure if the performance cost makes it more effective than a traditional solution. Any input is appreciated!

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Virtualisation of linux/solaris

Hello, I need to build a server with both solaris and linux guest VM using full virt on x64. The guest os are solaris 10 (not opensolaris) and linux RedHat (Centos) and Suse. I really cant make run a solaris 10 domU on Linux (hang after grub loader ..... ) Dom0 neither on opensolaris 11 xvm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manifesto
0 Replies

2. Solaris

virtualisation in solaris

Is there any other virtualisation made in solaris 10 other than zones and LDOMS? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priky
3 Replies

3. Solaris

problem with virtualisation

Hi, I am using compaq t5207tu model with 60gb harddisk and 2.5gb RAM.Its dual boot-Windows XP and Solaris. I tried installing SUN xVM on solaris to make client -server architecture (32 bit processor and 32 bit OS ) -guest OS (solaris 10)on host OS(Solaris 10). But whenever i try to install... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruti_gupta
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server with OpenVZ virtualisation is not responding but VMs are OK

Server is accessible only via IPMI. SSH and web control panel is timeout. Takes several hours. Server dont have high load or suspicious processes. I checked /etc/hosts.deny and restarted ssh, but nothing :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
0 Replies
OCF_HEARTBEAT_XEN(7)						OCF resource agents					      OCF_HEARTBEAT_XEN(7)

NAME
ocf_heartbeat_Xen - Manages Xen unprivileged domains (DomUs) SYNOPSIS
Xen [start | stop | monitor | migrate_to | migrate_from | meta-data | validate-all] DESCRIPTION
Resource Agent for the Xen Hypervisor. Manages Xen virtual machine instances by mapping cluster resource start and stop, to Xen create and shutdown, respectively. A note on names We will try to extract the name from the config file (the xmfile attribute). If you use a simple assignment statement, then you should be fine. Otherwise, if there's some python acrobacy involved such as dynamically assigning names depending on other variables, and we will try to detect this, then please set the name attribute. You should also do that if there is any chance of a pathological situation where a config file might be missing, for example if it resides on a shared storage. If all fails, we finally fall back to the instance id to preserve backward compatibility. Para-virtualized guests can also be migrated by enabling the meta_attribute allow-migrate. SUPPORTED PARAMETERS
xmfile Absolute path to the Xen control file, for this virtual machine. (required, string, no default) name Name of the virtual machine. (optional, string, no default) shutdown_timeout The Xen agent will first try an orderly shutdown using xm shutdown. Should this not succeed within this timeout, the agent will escalate to xm destroy, forcibly killing the node. .sp If this is not set, it will default to two-third of the stop action timeout. .sp Setting this value to 0 forces an immediate destroy. .sp (optional, string, no default) allow_mem_management This parameter enables dynamic adjustment of memory for start and stop actions used for Dom0 and the DomUs. The default is to not adjust memory dynamically. (optional, boolean, default 0) node_ip_attribute In case of a live migration, the system will default to using the IP address associated with the hostname via DNS or /etc/hosts. .sp This parameter allows you to specify a node attribute that will be queried instead for the target node, overriding the IP address. This allows you to use a dedicated network for live migration traffic to a specific node. .sp Warning: make very sure the IP address does point to the right node. Or else the live migration will end up somewhere else, greatly confusing the cluster and causing havoc. (optional, string, no default) reserved_Dom0_memory In case memory management is used, this parameter defines the minimum amount of memory to be reserved for the dom0. The default minimum memory is 512MB. (optional, string, default 512) monitor_scripts To additionally monitor services within the unprivileged domain, add this parameter with a list of scripts to monitor. (optional, string, no default) SUPPORTED ACTIONS
This resource agent supports the following actions (operations): start Starts the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 60. stop Stops the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 40. migrate_from Executes steps necessary for migrating the resource away from the node. Suggested minimum timeout: 120. migrate_to Executes steps necessary for migrating the resource to the node. Suggested minimum timeout: 120. monitor Performs a detailed status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 30. Suggested interval: 10. meta-data Retrieves resource agent metadata (internal use only). Suggested minimum timeout: 5. validate-all Performs a validation of the resource configuration. Suggested minimum timeout: 5. EXAMPLE
The following is an example configuration for a Xen resource using the crm(8) shell: primitive p_Xen ocf:heartbeat:Xen params xmfile=string meta allow-migrate="true" op monitor depth="0" timeout="30" interval="10" SEE ALSO
http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/Xen_(resource_agent) AUTHOR
Linux-HA contributors (see the resource agent source for information about individual authors) resource-agents UNKNOWN 03/09/2014 OCF_HEARTBEAT_XEN(7)