Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Is Virtualisation Right for Colo? Post 302192193 by Karma on Tuesday 6th of May 2008 08:29:29 AM
Old 05-06-2008
Is Virtualisation Right for Colo?

Hi guys

I'm going to be moving a linux box into collocation to support the growing demands of my sites and have been trying to figure out if Xen is right for me. I'd appreciate hearing some real-world experience with the overhead involved and the optimal ways to slice up a box. Right now I feel I should either do an all-in-one setup with a hardened installation, use Xen to virtualise services I would normally run on other machines (such as DNS and SQL) and/or use Xen to rent out VPSes.

My main concern is that I don't have unlimited resources on this box, it's a dual p4-style 3.06GHz xeon with HT and 4 gigs of old ddr. So far I am going to need to accommodate the following:
- about 100,000 script-generated page views a day, with room for spikes, floods and other attacks
- dns services for about 30 domains, only three well traveled
- sql
- mail

Is Xen practical for my situation? I'm intrigued by the ability to replace and migrate virtual servers in a snap but not sure if the performance cost makes it more effective than a traditional solution. Any input is appreciated!

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Virtualisation of linux/solaris

Hello, I need to build a server with both solaris and linux guest VM using full virt on x64. The guest os are solaris 10 (not opensolaris) and linux RedHat (Centos) and Suse. I really cant make run a solaris 10 domU on Linux (hang after grub loader ..... ) Dom0 neither on opensolaris 11 xvm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manifesto
0 Replies

2. Solaris

virtualisation in solaris

Is there any other virtualisation made in solaris 10 other than zones and LDOMS? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priky
3 Replies

3. Solaris

problem with virtualisation

Hi, I am using compaq t5207tu model with 60gb harddisk and 2.5gb RAM.Its dual boot-Windows XP and Solaris. I tried installing SUN xVM on solaris to make client -server architecture (32 bit processor and 32 bit OS ) -guest OS (solaris 10)on host OS(Solaris 10). But whenever i try to install... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruti_gupta
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server with OpenVZ virtualisation is not responding but VMs are OK

Server is accessible only via IPMI. SSH and web control panel is timeout. Takes several hours. Server dont have high load or suspicious processes. I checked /etc/hosts.deny and restarted ssh, but nothing :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
0 Replies
adt-virt-xenlvm(1)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						adt-virt-xenlvm(1)

NAME
adt-virt-xenlvm - autopkgtest virtualisation server using Xen and LVM SYNOPSYS
adt-virt-xenlvm [options] -- [adt-xenlvm options] DESCRIPTION
adt-virt-xenlvm provides an autopkgtest virtualisation server using a Xen virtual machine and LVM snapshots. It adapts the raw functional- ity provided by the adt-xenlvm-* tools for use by autopkgtest. Normally adt-virt-xenlvm will be invoked by adt-run. adt-virt-xenlvm uses adt-xenlvm-with-testbed and adt-xenlvm-on-testbed. The testbed must have previously been set up with adt-xenlvm-set- up. Neither adt-virt-xenlvm nor adt-xenlvm-with-testbed do any locking; it is the the caller's responsibility not to attempt concurrent use of any particular testbed. OPTIONS
--distro=distro Specifies a different distro (ie, the use of a different testbed). --nominum=nominum Specifies a different nominum (ie, the use of a different testbed). --userv Specifies that the adt-xenlvm tools should not be run directly, but rather via userv. The calling user must be permitted to use userv root adt-xenlvm-testbed. In the default configuration, this means being a member of the AdtXenUs group. -- --adt-xenlvm-option=adt-xenlvm-value Following the first occurrence of -- on the adt-virt-xenlvm commandline, any of the values in the adt-xenlvm configuration may be set in the usual way. The arguments are simply passed to adt-virt-xenlvm. See /usr/share/doc/autopkgtest-xenlvm/README.gz for full details of adt-xenlvm. -- -Dvarname=value If --userv was specified, options following the first -- on the adt-virt-xenlvm commandline are passed as option arguments to userv. These should normally be user-defined variable settings using -D which are expected by the autopkgtest-xenlvm/userv-target script. Currently only distro and nominum are expected, and these can be set using adt-virt-xenlvm's own options. -d | --debug Enables debugging output. Probably not hugely interesting. INPUT, OUTPUT AND EXIT STATUS The behaviour of adt-virt-xenlvm is as described by the AutomatedTesting virtualisation regime specification. SEE ALSO
adt-run(1), adt-virt-null(1), adt-virt-chroot(1), /usr/share/doc/autopkgtest/, /usr/share/doc/autopkgtest-xenlvm/README.gz. AUTHORS AND COPYRIGHT
This manpage is part of autopkgtest, a tool for testing Debian binary packages. autopkgtest is Copyright (C) 2006-2007 Canonical Ltd and others. See /usr/share/doc/autopkgtest/CREDITS for the list of contributors and full copying conditions. autopkgtest 2007 adt-virt-xenlvm(1)