Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Trim inside awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trim inside awk Post 302192188 by subin_bala on Tuesday 6th of May 2008 08:22:15 AM
Old 05-06-2008
Hi ,

Thnks for the reply ,
But i need to use trim after assigining the values ..
CAn you give the syntax ..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim white spaces using awk

Hi, I have a CSV file with footer information as below. The third value is the number of records in the file. Sometimes it contains both leading and trailing white spaces which i want to trim using awk. C,FOOTER , 00000642 C,FOOTER , 00000707 C, FOOTER,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mona
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting fields and doing trim in awk

hi, I have this code: #!/usr/bin/ksh #SERVICES gzcat *SERVICES* | awk ' { SUBSCRIBERNUMBER=substr($0,1,20) SUBSCRIBERNUMBER=trim(SUBSCRIBERNUMBER) SERVICECODE=substr($0,22,61) SERVICECODE=trim(SERVICECODE) STARTDD=substr($0,63,72) STARTDD=trim(STARTDD) STARTDT=substr($0,74,81)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naoseionome
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim String in 3rd Column in Tab Delimited File...SED/PERL/AWK?

Hey Everybody, I am having much trouble figuring this out, as I am not really a programmer..:mad: Datafile.txt Column0 Column1 Column2 ABC DEF xxxGHI I am running using WGET on a cronjob to grab a datafile, but I need to cut the first three characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickdini
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk inside Awk expression

Hi, It can be used awk inside other Awk?. I need to get another text processing while other text process. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepeli30
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk inside another awk statement

hi all, i have two files 1) a.txt one two three 2) abc "one" = 10 pqr "three" = 20 345 "two" = 0 this is what i want in third file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishirkotkar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk trim

I am trying to trim spaces for the fixed width file starting from location 129 and of length 20. I am expecting only around 40 records that will have length greater than 9. But i am getting around 4000 records. Please help me correct the following. nawk '{if (a=length(gsub(/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - trim white space from a field / variable

Hi, Consider the data (FS = |): 1| England |end 2| New Zealand |end 3|Australia|end 4| Some Made Up Country |end 5| West Indies|end I want the output to be (i.e. without the leading and trailing white space from $2) England New Zealand Australia Some Made Up Country West... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim using sed/awk

How to remove using the sed/awk if the rows are starting with any numbers till "-" character. from the below sample output and expected results. Sample looks like below : 704 - sample - test 5500 - line2 449 - line3 44 - line4 Line5 Expected - sample - test line2 line3 line4... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_hp
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)