Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk error in sorting text file Post 302192033 by karthikn7974 on Tuesday 6th of May 2008 12:09:49 AM
Old 05-06-2008
Need to remove duplicate lines satisfies the below condition
if error, server, netowrk, dept and date are all the same then keep the latest line and remove old timed duplicate lines

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting rules on a text section

Hi all My text file looks like this: start doc ... (certain number of records) REC3|Emma|info| REC3|Lukas|info| REC3|Arthur|info| ... (certain number of records) end doc start doc ... (certain number of records)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting files with find command before sending to text file

i need help with my script.... i am suppose to grab files within a certain date range now i have done that already using the touch and find command (found them in other threads) touch -d "$date_start" ./tmp1 touch -d "$date_end" ./tmp2 find "$data_location" -maxdepth 1 -newer ./tmp1 !... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deking
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a text file

In unix how to sort in reverse order based on second field in a text file. $ cat data1 David:501 Albie:503 Shaun:502 The expected output: Albie:503 Shaun:502 David:501 Please help :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jon2ryhme
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting complex file with awk

i have a file ddd.txt its delimiter is : but has , and "" within each column as below and also each line ends with ; I_EP,"29":I_US,"120":I_P_ID,"2020":I_NEW,"600":I_OLD,"400":I_POW,"4.5":I_NAME,"TOM";... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search text file in file if this file contains necessary text (awk,grep)

Hello friends! Help me pls to write correct awk and grep statements for my task: I have got files with name filename.txt It has such structure: Start of file FROM: address@domen.com (12...890) abc DATE: 11/23/2009 on Std SUBJECT: any subject End of file So, I must check, if this file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: candyme
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting based on a specified column in a text file

I have a tab delimited file with 5 columns 79 A B 20.2340 6.1488 8.5086 1.3838 87 A B 0.1310 0.0382 0.0054 0.1413 88 A B 46.1651 99.0000 21.8107 0.2203 89 A B 0.1400 0.1132 0.0151 0.1334 114 A B 0.1088 0.0522 0.0057 0.1083 115 A B... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Problem in sorting a text file

Hi; I have a text file like this: 1 10 11 2 3 4 M X Y When I sort it numerically using sort -n, it looks like this: Y X M 1 2 3 4 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting indented text files

Hello, I'm trying to find a solution or a proper tool for the following job: I need to sort a text document with indented sections, so all levels of indentation are sorted independently for each section. Particularly, I need this for Cisco routers' running config files to compare them with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobel
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a text file with respect to Function/Keyword

Hello Experts, I am truly a beginner in shell and perl . Need an urgent help with sorting a file. please help. wouldn't mind whether in perl or shell script. Here are the details. ------------------------------------------------------ Input Text file EX:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting/Arranging file based on tags using awk

Hi, I have file which contains data based on tags. Output of the file should be in order of tags. Below are the files : Tags.txt f12 f13 f23 f45 f56 Original data is like this : Data.txt 2017/01/04|09:07:00:021|R|XYZ|38|9|1234|f12=CAT|f23=APPLE|f45=PENCIL|f13=CAR... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
5 Replies
PRUNEHISTORY(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   PRUNEHISTORY(8)

NAME
prunehistory - remove file names from Usenet history file SYNOPSIS
prunehistory [ -f filename ] [ -p ] DESCRIPTION
Prunehistory modifies the history(5) text file to ``remove'' a set of filenames from it. The filenames are removed by overwriting them with spaces, so that the size and position of any following entries does not change. Prunehistory reads the standard input. The input is taken as a set of lines. Blank lines and lines starting with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines are should consist of a Message-ID followed by zero or more filenames. The Message-ID is used as the dbz(3) key to get an offset into the text file. If no filenames are mentioned on the input line, then all filenames in the text are ``removed.'' If any filenames are mentioned, they are converted into the history file notation. If they appear in the line for the specified Message-ID then they are removed. Since innd(8) only appends to the text file, prunehistory does not need to have any interaction with it. OPTIONS
-p Prunehistory will normally complain about lines that do not follow the correct format. If the ``-p'' flag is used, then the program will silently print any invalid lines on its standard output. (Blank lines and comment lines are also passed through.) This can be useful when prunehistory is used as a filter for other programs such as reap. -f The default name of the history file is <pathdb in inn.conf>/history; to specify a different name, use the ``-f'' flag. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.7, dated 1998/04/09. SEE ALSO
dbz(3), history(5), inn.conf(5), innd(8). PRUNEHISTORY(8)