Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to extract columns from a text file Post 302191767 by ihot on Sunday 4th of May 2008 07:31:47 PM
Old 05-04-2008
oops - how to use "cut" for multi columns

Oops, as it turns out I have access only to "cut" command in UnixDos. My text file actually has a lot of spaces, so the rows look like these:
Department = 1234 __________G/L Asset Acct No = 12.0000._____2/29/2008
Department = 1234___________G/L Asset Acct No = 13.0000._____3/29/2008
I had to use underscore instead of spaces above because this website removes extra spaces from the rows above.

I tried to use cut -c14-18 -c37-39 textfile but it would not cut multi columns.
My final output file should look like these:
1234 12.0000. 2/29/2008
1234 13.0000. 3/29/2008

Is there a way to cut multiple columns? UnixDos does not have "awk".
Thanks again.

Last edited by ihot; 05-05-2008 at 12:40 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text in 2 columns of output file.

Hello!! I have the text file with following format... --SubTotal-----------------------------------0--161---------------44---13739369-67--- --SubTotal-----------------------------------0--147---------------0----49643---1----... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danish Shakil
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, need to extract columns from file

I have huge fixed width, text file in unix box and I need to extract columns found between the width 105 and 200 and output it to a new file. Can anyone tell me how to extract it? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiran2k
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Columns from file

Hi All, Could you please help me with following: I have to parse a .csv file. For example: If the csv file contains 3 columns, then i have to print the column names. The field separator is (comma). example.csv (contains 2 lines as follows) This is,a test file, for validation... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vfrg
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert text to columns in tab delimited text file

Hello Gurus, I have a text file containing nearly 12,000 tab delimited characters with 4000 rows. If the file size is small, excel can convert the text into coloumns. However, the file that I have is very big. Can some body help me in solving this problem? The input file example, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing columns from a text file that do not have any values in second and third columns

I have a text file that has three columns. But at the end of the text file, there are trailing lines that have missing second and third columns: 4 0.04972604 KLHL28 4 0.0497332 CSTB 4 0.04979822 AIF1 4 0.04983331 DECR2 4 0.04990344 KATNB1 4 4 4 4 How can I remove the trailing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to extract all columns except the last few from a txt file

hello, i have publicly available txt file with little less than 300000 rows. i want to extract from column 1 to column 218 and save it in another text file. i use the cut command but the file is saved with multiple rows from the source file onto a single row in the destination. basically it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: madrazzii
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate 2-columns by 2 -columns for a text file?

Hello, I want to concatenate 2-columns by 2-columns separated by colon. How can I do so? For example, I have a text file containing 6 columns separated by tab. I want to concatenate column 1 and 2; column 3 and 4; column 5 and 6, respectively, and put a colon in between. input file: 1 0 0 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract spread columns from large file

Dear all, I want to extract around 300 columns from a very large file with almost 2million columns. There are no headers, but I can find out which column numbers I want. I know I can extract with the function 'cut -f2' for example just the second column but how do I do this for such a large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fndijk
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns into seperate file

I have a comma delimited file as per the one below and I am currently extracting the values in 2 columns (COL1 & COL6) to produce a smaller trimmed down version of the file which only contains the columns we need; COL1,COL2,COL3,COL4,COL5,COL6,COL7,COL8,COL9... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ads89
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Columns in one file and extract columns from another file

Kindly help merging information from two files with the following data structure. I want to match for the CHR-SNP in Foo and get the columns that match from CHROM-rsID Fields 1 & 2 of foo may have duplicates, however, a joint key of Fields $1$2$3$4 is unique. Also would be helpful to clean up... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
4 Replies
pfscut(1)						      General Commands Manual							 pfscut(1)

NAME
pfscut - Extract a rectangle out of a frame in PFS stream SYNOPSIS
pfscut [--left <columns>] [--right <columns>] [--top <rows>] [--bottom <rows>] [--width <new_width>] [--height <new_height>] [--help] [x_ul y_ul x_br y_br] DESCRIPTION
Extract a rectangle out of each frame in PFS stream. You can either specify x and y coordinates of upper left and lower right corner (the coordinates start with 0 and rise in the left-to-right and up-to-botton directions) or give a combination of the options listed below. OPTIONS
--left <columns>, -l <columns> Number of columns to be cut out from the left edge of an image. --right <columns>, -r <columns> Number of columns to be cut out from the right edge of an image. --top <rows>, -t <rows> Number of rows to be cut out from the top edge of an image. --bottom <rows>, -b <rows> Number of rows to be cut out from the bottom edge of an image. --width <new_width>, -W <new_width> Width of an output image. Note that --width can be mixed with either --left or --right option. --height <new_height>, -H <new_height> Height of an output image. Note that --height can be mixed with either --top or --bottom option. --help, -h Print a list of commandline options. EXAMPLES
pfsin image.hdr | pfscut --left 20 --top 5 | pfsout out.hdr Cut out 20 columns from the left and 5 rows from the top edge of image.hdr and save frame as out.hdr. pfsin image.hdr | pfscut --left 20 --width 400 | pfsout out.hdr Cut out 20 columns from the left edge of image.hdr, and create output image 400 pixels in width. pfsin image.hdr | pfscut 0 0 511 511 | pfsout out.hdr Cut left-upper part of the image of the size 512x512 (note that coordinates start with 0 and 512 is the last row/column that is included in the resulting image). SEE ALSO pfsin(1) pfsout(1) BUGS
Please report bugs and comments to Dorota Zdrojewska <dzdrojewska@wi.ps.pl>. pfscut(1)