Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to compress .zlib file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to compress .zlib file Post 302191601 by wrapster on Saturday 3rd of May 2008 02:34:59 PM
Old 05-03-2008
how to compress .zlib file

Hi all,

I wanted to know how to compress a .zlib file..
an working on unix
so pls suggest accordingly.
the file is pretty big(500 mb)
also i would like to know any weblinks where i can get more info on various compressions commands in unix
i have tried zip,compress commands
but i have not achieved the amout of compression i wanted to.
may i know how to counter this!!

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[help] Cant compress file

Anybody know what happened here? 162 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> compress url.txt url.txt: -- file unchanged (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
8 Replies

2. Programming

uncompress of zlib

When I gzopen & gzread from a gzip file, it works OK. But I when I try to uncompress the same data from memory (either by reading to memory with fread or mmap()ing) using decompress, I get Z_DATA_ERROR. Is it because gzip file has some kind of headers that uncompress doesn't want? How can I get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayne
3 Replies

3. Programming

problem about using zlib to uncompress gzip in memory

I wrote a function which for uncompressing data for gzip or deflate format using zlib,see followed code; source param is pointed to the compressed data,len param is the size of compressed data, dest param is for returning the address which pointed to the uncompressed data;the last gzip param tell... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwishfine
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compress more than one file

hi, I need to compress a couple files in a directory.i tried using tar cvf filename1 filename2 but i am not able to open tar file. please suggest how to compress more than one file in to same file thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasee
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to takes the old data from a TXT file and compress them into new file

Hi, I am looking for the unix script which can takes the 2 month old data from a TXT file (there is one txt file in whiche messages are appended on daily basis) and compress them into new file.Please halp me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

7. BSD

Installing zlib

Is there a port or shorthand way of installing the zlib library on FreeBSD? I currently use the following: wget http://zlib.net/zlib-1.2.5.tar.gz tar zxf zlib*.gz cd zlib*\. ./configure --libdir=/usr/lib --includedir=/usr/include make install clean This is somewhat contrived code and for a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

zlib.h in custom path

I am trying to configure gpac. I get the error as follows. # ./configure error: zlib not found on system or in local libs I have installed zlib on custom path /usr/local/myapps. I know the above error occurs when devel package or .h file is not present. Its present on the server. # ll... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem compiling glib using static zlib

Hello I have been trying to compile glib 2.28 with needs Zlib. During the compilation process I received these messages Then giving a look at the configure of Zlib, there was an option to static link it and I obviously used it. So I think I can solve it by compiling a shared zlib, or by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: colt
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress every file

Dear Experts, I am new to this forum. Thank you for moderator to allow me to join. I have a question about automatic compression using sh and crontab on an application which runs on the Suse Linux Server 11 SP4. My question is how to compress every file in a directory into its own tar... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steven_2975
5 Replies
zip(n)																	    zip(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
zip - Data compression "zip" SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl ?8.2? package require Trf ?2.1.4? zip ?options...? ?data? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The command zip is one of several data compressions provided by the package trf. See trf-intro for an overview of the whole package. The command is based on the deflate compression algorithm as specified in RFC 1951 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1951.txt) and as implemented by the zlib compression library (http://www.gzip.org/zlib/). See also RFC 1950 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1950.txt) zip ?options...? ?data? -mode compress|decompress This option has to be present and is always understood by the compression. For immediate mode the argument value specifies the operation to use. For an attached compress it specifies the operation to use for writing. Reading will automatically use the reverse operation. See section IMMEDIATE versus ATTACHED for explana- tions of these two terms. Beyond the argument values listed above all unique abbreviations are recognized too. Compress causes the compression of arbitrary (most likely binary) data. Decompression does the reverse . -level integer Specifies the compression level. Is either the string default or an integer number in the range 1 (minimal compression) to 9 (maximal compression). -nowrap boolean If set to true the command will not create the zip specific header (See RFC 1950) normally written before the compressed data. The options defaults to false. It has to be used when writing a gzip emulation in Tcl as gzip creates a different header. -attach channel The presence/absence of this option determines the main operation mode of the transformation. If present the transformation will be stacked onto the channel whose handle was given to the option and run in attached mode. More about this in section IMMEDIATE versus ATTACHED. If the option is absent the transformation is used in immediate mode and the options listed below are recognized. More about this in section IMMEDIATE versus ATTACHED. -in channel This options is legal if and only if the transformation is used in immediate mode. It provides the handle of the channel the data to transform has to be read from. If the transformation is in immediate mode and this option is absent the data to transform is expected as the last argument to the transformation. -out channel This options is legal if and only if the transformation is used in immediate mode. It provides the handle of the channel the generated transformation result is written to. If the transformation is in immediate mode and this option is absent the generated data is returned as the result of the com- mand itself. IMMEDIATE VERSUS ATTACHED
The transformation distinguishes between two main ways of using it. These are the immediate and attached operation modes. For the attached mode the option -attach is used to associate the transformation with an existing channel. During the execution of the com- mand no transformation is performed, instead the channel is changed in such a way, that from then on all data written to or read from it passes through the transformation and is modified by it according to the definition above. This attachment can be revoked by executing the command unstack for the chosen channel. This is the only way to do this at the Tcl level. In the second mode, which can be detected by the absence of option -attach, the transformation immediately takes data from either its com- mandline or a channel, transforms it, and returns the result either as result of the command, or writes it into a channel. The mode is named after the immediate nature of its execution. Where the data is taken from, and delivered to, is governed by the presence and absence of the options -in and -out. It should be noted that this ability to immediately read from and/or write to a channel is an historic artifact which was introduced at the beginning of Trf's life when Tcl version 7.6 was current as this and earlier versions have trouble to deal with characters embedded into either input or output. SEE ALSO
bz2, trf-intro, zip KEYWORDS
compression, data compression, decompression, rfc 1950, rfc 1951, rfc 1952, zip COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-2003, Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> Trf transformer commands 2.1.4 zip(n)