Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Creating USERs with restricted Access Post 302191301 by fabtagon on Friday 2nd of May 2008 06:50:31 AM
Old 05-02-2008
i) Do your homework alone
ii) just googeling your question brings a million pages explaining exactly that homework
iii) even in here's FAQ subforum you'll find a comprehensive guide on that topic

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricted SSH Access

OS: FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE I have ssh up and running. However, I need to restrict users to their home directory and to links withing those directories (i.e. htdocs/mysite and mysql/var). Is this possible? Any Suggestions? Thanks In advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezekiel61
2 Replies

2. Linux

Can Telnet in Linux 8.0 be restricted for users

Hi, I want to create a user and allow its to be able to have telnet session like what you have in the ftp allow and deny. Is this possible Thanx. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replicating restricted sam users

I'm in the process of setting up two new HP-UX 11.23 i64 servers. On my existing server (HP-UX B.11.0) we have several users defined to have restricted sam access. I'm having trouble finding those definitions and copying them over to the new servers. Is this possible - to just copy over the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LisaS
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Local web cache for restricted users question

I am in charge of a project to teach 20 or so inmates basic computer skills. These people cannot have outside access to the web, but I need to show them how to do a basic Google search and search for articles on Wikipedia. (also needs to be Arabic and English) I was thinking of using a squid... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brazen1445
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To provide restricted access to certain user's on linux box

Hi, I need to provide execute access to certain users and not to all users For ex: if ther is a file /home/august/aug.sh. and there are user's like jan,feb,mar,april,May and jan is the owner of that box. I need to provide execute access to feb and mar only. I also know the root pwd for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to view restricted sam access

Hello everybody, i need to check which users have resticted sam access..can anybody please let me know how to check this..? Thanks in advance.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmikant
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/sudoers - Restricted Access

Hi Expert, I have 2 questions. Scenario: Users login via ssh from other location, using putty. or any other equivalent ssh tunnel. All users has been assigned as sudoers due to testing environment. 1. How to disable sudoers from editing /etc/sudoers e.g $ sudo vi /etc/sudoers 2.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
3 Replies

8. AIX

A user with restricted ftp access to a folder

Hi, We have Oracle Database on AIX 5.3 server.We want to give ftp access to a user to a specific folder.He should be able to put and get files from that specific folder only.Moreover he should not be able to cd to any other filesystems also along with root directory. Please note that as per... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Restricted access possibilities

Hi, I have given a laptop from company with Ubuntu 10.04 on it. I have restricted access over it, means I have been given sudo login on it. SO I am unable to so many major activities over it, Can you all people tell me the Terminal tricks that I can use to get my hands on it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixhead
1 Replies

10. Programming

Creating a bash based restricted shell

Hello. I need to write a command line interface that can be invoked either directly from the shell (command sub-command arguments), or as a shell that can process sub-commands. i want to use bash auto completion for both scenarios. example: lets say my CLI module is called 'mycli' and there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noamr
5 Replies
SYNCTREE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SYNCTREE(1)

NAME
synctree - synchronize directory trees. SYNOPSIS
synctree [-iuf] [[user1@]machine1:]dir1 [[user2@]machine2:]dir2 DESCRIPTION
Synctree synchronizes the directory tree rooted at dir2 with dir1. It walks recursively through both trees, and deletes and adds files in dir2 to make it equal to dir1. Mode, owner and group are set for each file unless the -u flag is given. In its normal mode of operation, synctree will ask if it may delete or add directories assuming that you don't want to. Non-directories are simply deleted or added, but synctree will ask if it needs to update a normal file with a default answer of 'y'. Simply typing return will choose the default answer, typing end-of-file is like typing return to this question and all other questions. You can specify a hostname and user-id to be used to access dir1 or dir2. Synctree will use rsh(1) to run a copy of itself on the remote machine. The call interface mimics that of rcp(1), but you can use more than one user@machine prefix if you want to make things really interesting. Hard links are enforced, an update is done by first deleting the old file so that links to unknown files are broken. Links to files within dir2 will be restored. If either directory contains the file .backup, then this file will be used as an alternate inode table. This allows one to make a backup copy of a file tree full of special files and differing user-ids on a remote machine under an unpriviledged user-id. OPTIONS
-i Ask for permission (with default answer 'n') to delete or add any file or directory. -u Only install newer files, i.e. merge the directory trees. -f Don't ask, think 'yes' on any question. SEE ALSO
remsync(1), cpdir(1), rsh(1), rcp(1), perror(3). DIAGNOSTICS
Messages may come from three different processes. One named "Slave" running in dir1, one named "Master" running in dir2, and synctree itself in a mediator role. The mediator will also perform the task of either the master or the slave if one of them is running locally. You need to know this to interpret the error messages coming from one of these processes. The messages are normally based on perror(3). Failure to contact a remote machine will be reported by rsh. Synctree should have a zero exit status if no errors have been encountered. BUGS
Directory dir2 will be created without asking. The master and slave processes get their error output mixed up sometimes (nice puzzle). The local and remote machine must use the same file type encoding. The link replacement strategy may lead to lack of space on a small device. Let synctree run to completion and then rerun it to pick up the pieces. Letting the local process keep its "synctree" name may be a mistake. It talks too much. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot, (kjb@cs.vu.nl) SYNCTREE(1)