Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Add new lines with a space in beginning Post 302191076 by Aejaz on Thursday 1st of May 2008 12:07:34 PM
Old 05-01-2008
Folks,
I am getting a space now, tried applying space
awk '{ printf("!\ninterface %s\n%s\n%s\n", $0, " shut", " switchport mode access")}' file1.txt
but i am not getting interface at the beginning for the first line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines from file2 beginning w/file1

I've been searching around here and other places, but can't put this together... I've got a unique list of words in file 1 (one word on each line). I need to delete each line in file2 that begins with the word in file1. I started this way, but want to know how to use file1 words instead... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - to exclude lines beginning with pattern

11132 13069 11137 11142 13070 Can I use grep command to exclude all lines beginning with 13? I dont want to use grep -v 13 as potentially there will be a number with something like 11013 that I would exclude in error.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding words to beginning of lines

I have a file that contains a great number of lines, let's say 183 lines, and I want to add: echo " to the beginning of each line. What is the easiest way to do it? Tx (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove white space at the beginning of lines

Hi! I store some data obtained with grep or awk in a file. The problem is that some lines have white space at the begining : line1 line2 line3 I use something like grep WORD INFILE >> OUTFILE awk >> OUTFILE I would love if it were possible to remove the white whitout parsing the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping lines beginning with certain words using sed/awk

I have a large file which reads like this: fixed-address 192.168.6.6 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b1; host X; } fixed-address 192.168.6.7 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b3; host Y; } fixed-address 192.168.6.8 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b4; host A; }... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

6. Solaris

deleting blank space in beginning of line in vi

How can we delete all the blank spaces in the beginning of some lines in a text in vi? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines between 2 strings add white space

I'm trying to extract all the lines between 2 strings (including the lines containing the strings) To make the strings unique I need to include white space if possible. I'm not certain how to do that. sed -n '/ string1 /,/string2/p' infile > outfile & (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space at beginning of the line

How can I delete spaces at the begining of all lines of my file ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command

hi I am trying to use SED to replace the line matching a pattern using the command sed 'pattern c\ new line ' <file1 >file 2 I got two questions 1. how do I insert a blank space at the beginning of new line? 2. how do I use this command to execute multiple command using the -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert at the beginning of odd lines

Hello people, I am trying with sed to insert some text at the beginning of each odd line of a file but no luck. Can you please help. Awk is also suitable but I am not very familiar with it. Thank you in advance for any help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
7 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)