Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: output text in between
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting output text in between Post 302191044 by ghostdog74 on Thursday 1st of May 2008 10:47:35 AM
Old 05-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffi
how can i output the number 2641569270623 from a text file called checkpoint.txt that is a one line file (generated by a maths sieving program) that looks like:
pmin=2641569270623,factor_count=8,cpu_secs=1705.793,frac_done=0.002592,elapsed_secs=1710.844

i tried sed -n "/pmin=/,/,factor/ p" checkpoint.txt | sed "$ d" which ouputs nothing and sed -n "/pmin=/,/,factor/ p" checkpoint.txt which output the whole line
until you are more familiar with regular expressions, you can use field based operations
Code:
awk -F"," '{ split($1,a,"="); print a[2] }' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching and extracting text from output

I have the following output which I need to obtain the values for "Next Seq is xxx" and "Last Seq is xxx" and "Pending count is xxx". You will notice that the number of words prior to that value can be variable hence the reason for asking this question. LINECMD> Line /xxx///ABC9_SND is UP.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjday
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping text file of ip addressese and output to text file

I am basically a scripting noob, I have some programming logic, and I wouldn't post here if my 3 hours of searching actually found something. So far this is what I have: " #! /bin/ksh List=./pinglist1.txt cat $List | while read ip do Pingable="" ping $ip -n 2 | awk '/100%/ {print... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lasthitlarry
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to center my output text

Im stumped on how to center the output of my echo command. I also would like to center my calender too, but is the command to center the same for echo and cal? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bri4nd4h3r0
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to slow down text output?

I found some ascii art that is animated (vt100) and would like to view it properly. However, when I try using 'cat', the file is done almost the instant I press enter. How can I view the file in a slower fashion (similar to the days of 2400baud, for example)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fangs McWolf
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Text To |bc Output

Hello. I have this.. $ echo '2+2' | bc 4 But I want to output it as 4 MB So, can I achieve that through one single command line? Thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Take output of processing in text file

Hi ALL, I am presently using perl script mukesh.pl I just want to catch its output into another text file . So I am using > File.txt . I am getting output but i want the whole processing of the script into that file please let me know . Thanks in advance Cheers Mukesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
1 Replies

8. Programming

Save output in text C++

Hi , i want to save the output of my c ++ code to a text file which is in a particular path : this is part of my code and I dunno where I am doing it wrong do { for( int i = 0; i < l; ++i ) { std::cout << 1 + k * i + index << ' '; } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siya@
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format text output

Hello, i've got a script based on queries which generates this output into a file cat cron_S-PostGres-ncc_license_Simpel_ActSub_per_Product 201502-b31s31i10 | MVNO | 114751 | 2017-07-19 201502-b31s31i10R60-60 | MVNO | 62115 | 2017-07-19 201511-b31s31i15 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
5 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)