Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to select Test in Vi Editor Post 302190761 by bakunin on Wednesday 30th of April 2008 11:55:20 AM
Old 04-30-2008
In colon-mode ("ESC", ":") enter "1,$ <your command>" to execute your command on every line between line 1 and the last line (line $). This comes as close to "selecting" a range of text in vi as is possible. In vi you "select" nothing, but use a prefix for every command to tell it which part of the file it has to work on.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select ALL in VI Editor

Hi all, How can i select all and copy text in VI Editor. Rakesh Gupta (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakish
22 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

select some text from a test dependng on pattern

I have some absolute file location $INSTALL_BASEPATH/onereview-5.0/resources/commons-messages/commonmessages_default.properties $INSTALL_BASEPATH/onereview-5.0/orv-deploy/config-console.war/WEB-INF/classes/com/connectiva/configuration/console/resource/configurationBundle.properties I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to test input variable is a string in a select loop

Okay -- I hope I ask this correctly. I'm working on my little shell script to write vendor names and aliases to files from user input. If a user choose to add to a file, he can do that as well. I'm using a select loop for this function to list all the possible files the user can choose from.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
7 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)