Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Java with Unix (Redirection + Piping) Post 302190758 by era on Wednesday 30th of April 2008 11:52:38 AM
Old 04-30-2008
fluke_perf: these forums have a serious homework problem, don't take it personally.

2>&1 is a redirection, yes; it directs standard error to the same place as standard output.

Without knowing what log_handler is doing, strictly speaking, it's not really possible to answer your question. The script runs APPLICATION and feeds its output and error streams to log_handler, so I suppose we can infer that if any actual logging to files is taking place, that one is taking care of that part.

For what it's worth, "$@" should always have double quotes around it.

The shirt is in the second drawer from the right; if you're lucky, you'll find an Intro to Unix Shell Scripting book there, too.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection or piping error message

I have written a script that appears to work correctly in testing, but is coming up with a starnge error message, script_name: test: 0403-004 Specify a parameter with this command. Redirection or piping of stdin or stdout is allowed only with -b. (156). The script is run by different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
2 Replies

2. Programming

Piping and redirection implementation

To implement the facility of piping and redirection I used the two commands dup, dup2, and strtok for tokenizing the command. But when I run the command ls|more it is not running fine as I have developed it using the dup2 command. the more command needs the whole buffer at once. Please help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping in UNIX

All, I am a UNIX novice with a question that I hope you can help me with. I have a UNIX application called "Tole" that formats and displays specific information about customers. I can display the information for up to 30 customers by seperating customer IDs using commas in this format: Tole -c... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simo007
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix redirection to '&-'

Hi UF family members, I am intermediate in Unix language and scripting.I know the redirection systems in unix,but the below statement confuses me: #!/bin/ksh . $HOME/.profile 2>&- Actually this is an extract from a unix script which was trying to set the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
6 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix command redirection

Hi all,, Is there any way to redirect the command o/p directaly to a memory location instead of redirecting it to the file?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swap007
1 Replies

6. Programming

piping from C to python in UNIX

Hi, I'm trying to wrap my head around piping in C - I've got a small C program that forks and pipes stuff from the child process to the parent process. Currently the child process calls a C program that squirts out random numbers which then pipes the result to the parent process. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dreams in Blue
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping Unix Variable Array values into AWK

#ksh Here is my code: ERRORLIST="43032 12001 12002 12003 12004 34019 49015 49016 49017 49018 49024 49025 49026 58004 72003 12005 12006 12007 12008 12011 12012 16024 16023" for ERROR in ${ERRORLIST} do awk -v l="$lastdate" '/^....-..-../&&$0>l{d=$0}d&&/Error: '"${ERROR}"'/{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k1ko
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirection in unix

how to redirect a output value to a file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pratima.kumari
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit code from piping in unix shell script

Hi , I have following code in my shell script : "$TS_BIN/tranfrmr" "${TS_SETTINGS}/tranfrmr_p1.stx" "${TS_LOGS}/tranfrmr_p1.err" | ( "$TS_BIN/cusparse" "${TS_SETTINGS}/cusparse_p2.stx" "${TS_LOGS}/cusparse_p2.err" | ( "$TS_BIN/tsqsort" "${TS_SETTINGS}/srtforpm_p3.stx"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
8 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Unix Piping Problem

Hey guys. I'm very new to Unix. I'm pretty fluent in Java and C, but I have never actually used Unix for anything. I am in an Operating Systems course now and I have an assignment to write a piece of code that involves forks and piping. I'm stuck. 1. The problem statement, all variables and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjimmy91
6 Replies
PURITY(6)                                                          Games Manual                                                          PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)