Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How can I authorize a non-root user to do a system backup with 'mksysb'? Post 302190646 by AIX122 on Wednesday 30th of April 2008 06:34:42 AM
Old 04-30-2008
How can I authorize a non-root user to do a system backup with 'mksysb'?

I use AIX 5.2 I want to allow a non-root user to do a system backup with 'mksysb' command.
I try to add 'ManageBackup' Role to that non-root user but it have an error "ksh: mksysb: 0403-006 Execute permission denied."
What should I do?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX v.5.1 - system and user data backup

Hi everyone, I have no AIX experience at all. We have an IBM Server running AIX v.5.1. The server has a DDS-4 tape drive. I need to take complete system and user data backup.Should be able to restore the system and the user data in the event of system corruption or disaster. I was told that for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sezgin
5 Replies

2. AIX

mksysb backup

How I can to obtain a full Backup of a AIX server with the command "mksysb"?? what is the correct form? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: granador
1 Replies

3. AIX

mksysb backup

hi guys, i just want to take my server's mksysb backup through dvd-rom.but am having the doubt that, while am taking the mksysb backup in image it shows 8GB. So can i confirm that it takes 2 dvds and after writing in 1st cd it will ask for 2nd cd?????? please help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrlog
1 Replies

4. AIX

Need to take MKSYSB backup

Hi, Can any one suggest me how to take the mksysb backup in CD (VCD/DVD). I have tried like #mkcd -d /dev/cd0, but its not working. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oprakash
3 Replies

5. AIX

mksysb backup

hi we are having one rootvg in that we created one lv named mksysb_backuplv and normally script will run accordingly to take the backup in the cron,here i just want to know if any rootfilesystem was correpted like /usr or /tmp ,then how could i restore the particular filesystme from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senmak
1 Replies

6. AIX

MKSYSB backup

Hi, Currently we are taking mksysb backup through smitty mksysb command and directing the backup to happen on a tape.We have inbuilt tape drives in the AIX servers. Can we take the mksysb backup through 3rd party software tool (Symantec netbackup of IBm TSM). If yes what is the procedure and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
4 Replies

7. AIX

Block root user in system console - aix 5.3

How to block the root user login in system direct console. Users should login with non-root ids themselves and then use the su command to become root. Which configuration file i need to check and disable it. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmvinay
5 Replies

8. AIX

Need help with mksysb backup on a DVD

i have an AIX server and planning to upgrade the operating system, before that i want to take a system backup which can be used in case of upgrade failure. i dont have NIM server t hold the mksysb backups. so i have the only option of taking the backup on DVD. i have the following optical drive... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saikiran_1984
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON JOB not running - for tape backup from root user

I am trying a cron on root user to backup to tape using TAR command here is the cron entry 11 08 * * 6 /erdhot1cron 2>&1 >> /test3/scripts/dba/erdhot1cron.log here is script inside - edhot1cron #!/bin/bash vsysdt=`date +%d%m%y` date tar -cvf /dev/st0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaymec50
4 Replies

10. AIX

Cloning a system via mksysb backup from one system and restore to new system

Hello All, I am trying to clone an entire AIX virtual machine to a new virtual machine including all partitions and OS.Can anyone help me on the procedure to follow? I am not really sure on how it can be done.Thanks in advance. Please use CODE tags for sample input, sample output, and for code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), mount(8), pivot_root(2), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2000 PIVOT_ROOT(8)