Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting syntex error script any suggestions Post 302190540 by yongitz on Wednesday 30th of April 2008 01:53:32 AM
Old 04-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim187
a script with prompts user and returns the value of there home directory and full name

#!/bin/bash

echo "please enter your login ID"

read login_id

while $login_id -ne `grep $login_id /etc/passwd | cut -f1 -d:`

is they anything wrong with it
Apart from the useless use of grep and cut, I guess there is something wrong with your expression as you're comparing strings and test operator should be for strings is "!=" instead of "-ne". Correct me guys if I am wrong as I am still a newbie. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntex error

hi I am try to run following script using c-shell but i get the following syntex error:- ----script--- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/csh echo "system monitor" echo " 1) system paging 2) system file inf. 3) system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neer45
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance problem with my script ...suggestions pls

Hi , I have included my script below, pls read thro this req. I want my script to run for every hour , the problem is I CANNOT USE CRONTAB which is prohibited inside the company. My script does what it is supposed to do (to determine the memory and then send a email if it crosses a certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivsiv
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need suggestions about a datecheck script

I'm currently running a script that checks to see if a laptop is on the network, and if it is it backs up, if not it retries it later. Anyway, our backup scheduling has changed. I need to check if today's date is the Thursday after the first Wednesday of every month. This is made slightly more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsmurray
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggestions/cleanup Bash script

Hello, beginner bash scripter here.. I was able to write a script and it works just fine. I'm just wondering if someone could chime in or any suggestions to make it cleaner or tighter so to speak. I have a disk to disk backup solution which uses 250GB disks. When one gets full I just po in a new... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that accepts user input - Suggestions

Hi, I have a series of BASH shell scripts that process data. All of the scripts are controlled by a "master" script, where users specify their processing parameters. The sub-scripts, and the order they are called, depend on the values of these user-specified processing parameters. This method... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr Syntex error

Hello, I am new to Shell programing. I want to add two numbers & show result. command I use are as under Echo Enter the two numbers read number d1 = ` expr $ num%10` num = `expr $ num/10` d2 = ` expr $ num%10` num = `expr $ num/10` sum = $ d1 + $ d2 echo the sum is $ sum I am getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbchhaya
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

WPAR monitoring shell script suggestions needed

Hi All, This is for WPAR monitoring shell script, earlier opened thread was closed, had to open a new thread, as suggested I have used script as below, But am trying to get the output in below format, need suggestions with it. Below is the lswpar output, required output format. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggestions on this script please

i=1 out="" j=`expr 2 * $1` while do out="$out"#"" echo $out ((i=i+1)) done while do print ${out%?} ((i=i+1)) done This script is throwing an error: gurnish:/home/fnb/gurnish/saurabh/scripts> while1 3 expr: 0402-050 Syntax error. # (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: targetshell
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Distributing script projects, suggestions/ideas?

Heyas If you recall, not too long ago, i was asking about the GNU Autotools. The feedback on that was almost unisense, and me figured that it turned my (back then) +98% SHELL project into a +73% GROFF project... :( Felt a bit overhelmed, specialy since i didnt actualy use or need the true... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Syntex for elif conditions

Hi, Please help here for below are the correct syntax or not for elif for korn shell. if && && && ; then echo "ALL Servers are Running" elif ; then echo "gg Not Running" fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: singam07
1 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)