Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users /etc/hosts on Ubuntu behaving strangely Post 302190395 by era on Tuesday 29th of April 2008 02:18:42 PM
Old 04-29-2008
Do you find a script in /etc/init.d or someplace which messes with /etc/hosts? (I don't, not in /etc/network or /etc/init.d .)

Mine looks like it was last modified on 2008-03-28 which might have been the last time I used DHCP. I don't have any real grip over what Avahi does but if you use Network Manager with roaming mode, this is the sort of thing it does, I believe.

locate avahi | fgrep hosts brought up two matches which look sort of promising: /etc/avahi/hosts and the avahi.hosts manual page.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Hi! Im trying to use host.allow & host.deny to resrtic access to my sun machine, but it doesnt seem to work... I want to allow full access from certain IPīs (ssh,http,ftp,etc...) but deny all kind of conections from outsideworld, the way that im doing that is: hosts.allow ALL:127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sorrento
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

csplit not behaving

I have a large file with the first 2 characters of each line determining the type of record. type 03 being a subheader and then it will have multiple 04 records. eg: 03,xxx,xxxx,xxxx 04,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 04,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 03,xxx,xxx,xxx ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badg3r
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts.allow and hosts.deny

Hello everyone, This is my first posts and I did search for a questions but did not find a question that answered my question unless of course I overlooked it. I'm running Solaris 8. I use ssh for the users but I have a user called "chatterbox" that uses telnet but I need for chatterbox to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: huddlestonsnk
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Issue with /etc/hosts file under ubuntu

I think terminal outpu is better than long words so: I rebooted my laptop but no success... It's the same for all entry i added... Any ideas ? PS: I'm under ubuntu 9.0.4 edit: hostnames can't start with a number, using c4507 for example works. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekkro-kvlt
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Forever Script Strangely Exiting

Hi, I have a really simple script which I want to run forever, inside the loop it runs a C application which if it exits should restart. #!/bin/sh while true do ./SCF scf.conf >> scf.log sleep 2 done For some reason the SCF C application coredumps and the script is exiting.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marvinwright
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

nslookup behaving strangely

I have two servers on same domain. one can nslookup other cannot Psu100 can lookup to psu000, psu010 & psu011 Psu110 can NOT lookup to psu000, psu010 & psu011 I verified resolv.conf entries on both psu000 and psu010 and it contains both name servers (10.200.10.21 & 10.200.11.22).I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scorohan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command behaving strangely

Hi, I need to count number of '$' symbol in a file and assign it to a variable. I am using below command. grep -c '\$' inputfile O/p: 10359 Its giving correct o/p but when I am assigning the same to a variable its giving completely different o/p. ab1=`grep -c '\$' inputfile` $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Opamps123
3 Replies

8. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[Solved] wc behaving weirdly

Can anyone explain why wc is behaving weirdly? Their are only 2 occurrences but wc thinks their are 7 occurrences. I have even manually checked this. $ grep -i base * lit: base xx lit.lst:003- 00103 BASE XX $ grep -i base * | wc -w ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
ubuntu-dev-tools(5)						File Formats Manual					       ubuntu-dev-tools(5)

NAME
ubuntu-dev-tools - Configuration for the ubuntu-dev-tools package. DESCRIPTION
The ubuntu-dev-tools package is similar in scope to the devscripts(1) package, providing a collection of scripts which may be of use to Ubuntu and Debian developers or others wishing to build Debian packages. Some of these scripts have options which may be configured on a system-wide and per-user basis. These options are configured in devscripts.conf(5). All variables are described in the script's manpages. Package-wide variables begin with "UBUNTUTOOLS" and are listed below. Every script which reads the configuration files can be forced to ignore them by using the --no-conf command-line option. ENVIRONMENT
All ubuntu-dev-tools configuration variables can be set (and overridden) by setting them in the environment (unlike devscripts). In addition, several scripts use the following environment variables: UBUMAIL Overrides DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME when the target is clearly Ubuntu. Can either contain an e-mail address or Full Name <email@example.org>. DEBEMAIL, DEBFULLNAME As in devscripts(1). PACKAGE-WIDE VARIABLES The currently recognised package-wide variables are: UBUNTUTOOLS_BUILDER This specifies the preferred test-builder, one of pbuilder (default), sbuild, pbuilder-dist. UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBIAN_MIRROR The preferred Debian archive mirror. Should be of the form http://ftp.debian.org/debian (no trailing slash). If not specified, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBSEC_MIRROR The preferred Debian security archive mirror. Should be of the form http://security.debian.org (no trailing slash). If not speci- fied, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_MIRROR The preferred Ubuntu archive mirror. Should be of the form http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu (no trailing slash). If not specified, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_PORTS_MIRROR The preferred Ubuntu archive mirror. Should be of the form http://ports.ubuntu.com (no trailing slash). If not specified, the mas- ter will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_LPINSTANCE The launchpad instance to communicate with. e.g. production (default) or staging. UBUNTUTOOLS_MIRROR_FALLBACK Whether or not to fall-back to the master archive mirror. This is usually the desired behaviour, as mirrors can lag the masters. If on a private network with only a local mirror, you may want to set this to no. One of yes (default) or no. UBUNTUTOOLS_UPDATE_BUILDER Whether or not to update the test-builder before each test build. One of yes or no (default). UBUNTUTOOLS_WORKDIR The directory to use for preparing source packages etc. When unset, defaults to a directory in /tmp/ named after the script. SEE ALSO
devscripts(1), devscripts.conf(5) AUTHORS
This manpage was written by Stefano Rivera <stefanor@ubuntu.com>. ubuntu-dev-tools December 19 2010 ubuntu-dev-tools(5)