Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers row count of all files with more than 0 byte Post 302190314 by sri2005 on Tuesday 29th of April 2008 10:01:24 AM
Old 04-29-2008
row count of all files with more than 0 byte

Hi,

Is there any way to get count number of lines in all files which have more than o bytes in current directory

for example :

in /user/sri/ there are 3 files

abc 0 bytes
def 5 bytes
ghi 10 bytes

i need to get wc -l for all files which have > 0 bytes at a time ..is it possible?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

byte count and cut command

1. Is there a way to count the number of bytes of a variable? example: abc@yahoo.com is 13 bytes 2. Cut command only allows one byte for delimiter example: cut -f1 -d'.' delimited by period. Is there a way to have two or more characters in the delimiter field? thanks in adavance. :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if 2 files are identical byte-to-byte?

In my server migration requirement, I need to compare if one file on old server is exactly the same as the corresponding file on the new server. For diff and comm, the inputs need to be sorted. But I do not want to disturb the content of the file and need to find byte-to-byte match. Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

row count of 60 files in one file

hi all plz some unix guy help me in this i have 60 files which will have some records i want to find the total number of records in all the 60 files like file1 has 60 and file2 has 70 record i want to sum all these and find total row count in 60 files (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to get Row Count of ZIP Files

Hi, I have some data files in a zipped format.(eg: aa.gz).I would like to know the number or rows in each zip file(May be populate the file name and line numbers into a text file).I know the commands wc -l and gunzip,.But how I will create a shell script for this to extract each files and get... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilash_menon
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count identical strings print last row and count

I have a sorted file like: Apple 3 Apple 5 Apple 8 Banana 2 Banana 3 Grape 31 Orange 7 Orange 13 I'd like to search $1 and if $1 is not the same as $1 in the previous row print that row and print the number of times $1 was found. so the output would look like: Apple 8 3 Banana... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the delimeter from a file and delete the row if delimeter count doesnt match.

I have a file containing about 5 million rows, in the file there are some records which has extra delimiter at random position. (we dont know the positions), now we have to Count the delimeter from each row and if the count of delimeter is not matching then I want to delete those rows from the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akumar1
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

row count

Hi, I want a row count of a file incliding header and trailer If I do cat Filename | wc -l then I am only getting the row count excluding the header and trailer Buit I want the row count including Header and trailer Please help Many thanks in advance, Pragyan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prarat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error files count while coping files from source to destination locaton as well count success full

hi All, Any one answer my requirement. I have source location src_dir="/home/oracle/arun/IRMS-CM" My Target location dest_dir="/home/oracle/arun/LiveLink/IRMS-CM/$dc/$pc/$ct" my source text files check with below example.text file content $fn "\t" $dc "\t" $pc "\t" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split files based on row delimiter count

I have a huge file (around 4-5 GB containing 20 million rows) which has text like: <EOFD>11<EOFD>22<EORD>2<EOFD>2222<EOFD>3333<EORD>3<EOFD>44<EOFD>55<EORD>66<EOFD>888<EOFD>9999<EORD> Actually above is an extracted file from a Sql Server with each field delimited by <EOFD> and each row ends... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
8 Replies
wc(1)							      General Commands Manual							     wc(1)

NAME
wc - Counts the lines, words, characters, and bytes in a file SYNOPSIS
wc [-c | -m] [-lw] [file...] The wc command counts the lines, words, and characters or bytes in a file, or in the standard input if you do not specify any files, and writes the results to standard output. It also keeps a total count for all named files. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: wc: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Counts bytes in the input. Counts lines in the input. Counts characters in the input. Counts words in the input. OPERANDS
Specifies the pathname of the input file. If this operand is omitted, standard input is used. DESCRIPTION
A word is defined as a string of characters delimited by white space as defined in the X/Open Base Definitions for XCU4. The wc command counts lines, words, and bytes by default. Use the appropriate options to limit wc output. Specifying wc without options is the equivalent of specifying wc -lwc. If any options are specified, only the requested information is output. The order in which counts appear in the output line is lines, words, bytes. If an option is omitted, then the corresponding field in the output is omitted. If the -m option is used, then character counts replace byte counts. When you specify one or more files, wc displays the names of the files along with the counts. If standard input is used, then no file name is displayed. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display the number of lines, words, and bytes in the file text, enter: wc text This results in the following output: 27 185 722 text The numbers 27, 185, and 722 are the number of lines, words, and bytes, respectively, in the file text. To display only one or two of the three counts include the appropriate options. For example, the following command displays only line and byte counts: wc -cl text 27 722 text To count lines, words, and bytes in more than one file, use wc with more than one input file or with a file name pat- tern. For example, the following command can be issued in a directory containing the files text, text1, and text2: wc -l text* 27 text 112 text1 5 text2 144 total The numbers 27, 112, and 5 are the numbers of lines in the files text, text1, and text2, respectively, and 144 is the total number of lines in the three files. The file name is always appended to the output. To obtain a pure number for things like reporting purposes, pipe all input to the wc command using cat. For example, the following command will report the total count of characters in all files in a directory. echo There are `cat *.c | wc -c` characters in *.c files There are 1869 characters in *.c files ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of wc: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments and input files) and which characters are defined as white space characters. Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error and informative messages written to standard output. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: cksum(1), ls(1) Standards: standards(5) wc(1)