Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: MV files with xargs or -exec
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting MV files with xargs or -exec Post 302189912 by era on Monday 28th of April 2008 07:55:55 AM
Old 04-28-2008
Write a script "vm" which works like mv but accepts the destination as the first argument. Then ls -ltr *.arc | xargs -n 10 vm destination

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between xargs and exec

Hi, I have tried both the options in small dummy scripts, but somehow i can't differentiate between the two. find . -name H* -exec ls -l {} \; find . -name H* | xargs ls -l Both work the ditto way. Any help is appreciated. (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String substitution on find results inside exec/xargs

What I'm trying to do is perform a copy, well a ditto actually, on the results of a find command, but some inline string substitution needs to happen. So if I run this code find ./ -name "*.tif" I get back these results. .//1234567.tif .//abcdefg.tif Now the action from exec or xargs I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myndcraft
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find with xargs to rm found files

I believe what is happening is rm is executing in the script on every directory and on failure of the first it stops although returns status 0. find $HOME -name /directory/filename | xargs -l rm This is the code I use but file remains. I am using sun solaris system which has way limited... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ebodee
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

move files using xargs

Hi, I have many files like below in my currect dir test1.me test2.me test3.me I wanted them to rename without .me extention I tried below find . -name "*.me" | xargs -i mv {} `echo {} | sed 's/\.me//'` It thorws error that cant mv ./test1.me to ./test1.me as they are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
6 Replies

5. Programming

difference bewteen pipe, xargs, and exec

I have read several docs on these on the web and looked at examples. I can't figure out the difference. In some cases you use one or the other or you combine them. can someone help me understand this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs vs exec with find:

Hi All, i'm trying to create a tar of all the .txt files i find in my dir . I've used xargs to acheive this but i wanted to do this with exec and looks like it only archives the last file it finds . can some one advice what's wrong here : find . -type f -name "*.txt" -print0 | xargs -0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference b/w xargs and "-exec" in Find

Hi, What is the difference between the following commands find . -type f -exec grep 'abc' {} \; and find . -type f | xargs grep 'abc' Appreciate your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files from one location to another using xargs??

Hello Experts, I need to copy files from one location to another using xargs. Tried something like this (In Ubuntu & Solaris ). mkdir -p 1234; find /home/emd/Desktop/n007/M007/ -type f -name "A2014*" | xargs -0 cp -r {} /home/emd/Desktop/1234 But every time i run this, a weird error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saidul
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exec and xargs mvoe file to directory

Hello, I am trying to move all the file listed by below command to /tmp/testing directory find ./ -maxdepth 1 -type f -mtime +3 I tried using -exec and xargs - none of the combination is working? Please, help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs and rsync not sending all files

Hi all, I have a script issue I can't seem to work out. In a directory I have several folders and I want to send just the sapdata1 to sapdata14 folders and their contents but not sapdataXX/.snapshot the script is: #!/bin/bash # SETUP OPTIONS export SRCDIR="/scratch/doug/test/sapdata*"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DougyC
5 Replies
DH-EXEC-ILLITERATE(1)						      dh-exec						     DH-EXEC-ILLITERATE(1)

NAME
dh-exec-illiterate - Write literate debhelper config files! SYNOPSIS
#! /usr/bin/dh-exec --with=illiterate,subst,install Greetings, my dear reader, and welcome to the awesome world of literate programming! Today, we're going to explore how to write a debhelper install file in a literate manner. Trust me, it's going to be lots and lots of fun! So, what exactly are we trying to accomplish? We're going to try installing a file from `src/this-file' in the source tree, to a multi-arched path in the binary file. Lets say, to `/usr/lib/foo/${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH}/'. Of course, ${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH} is a variable, and will be expanded later in the dh-exec pipeline. It'll be something like x86_64-linux-gnu. Furthermore, we want to install all files from the 'usr/lib' directory under debian/tmp. If we were writing an illiteral install file, we'd write this rule as: usr/lib But the above description is much easier to understand, isn't it? We're almost finished! One thing left to do, is to install a script named `rename-me', to `/usr/share/foo/new-name' - we renamed it in the process! DESCRIPTION
The dh-exec-illiterate sub-command, unlike the others, does not serve any particular case, except to serve as a warning to all, that things can be taken to an extreme, even with dh-exec. On the other hand, it is just like the other sub-commands in that it must not be called directly, but through dh-exec(1), which automatically runs all available sub-commands if run bare; or explicitly with dh-exec --with=illiterate. It is a program that will translate its input from pretty much free-form text into something that resembles an install file. At least, that's the only supported output format for now. Everything that's not recognised, will be ignored, and not printed. The recognised constructs are: `source' ... `destination' The first string between a backtick and a single quote will be treated as the source file, the next such string will be the destination. If the destination ends with a slash, dh-exec-illiterate will consider it a directory, otherwise it will output a construct that dh-exec-install can recognise as a rename operation. 'source' A string, without whitespace, between two single quotes is treated as a source, whose destination is unspecified, and is left up to dh_install(1) to figure out. ENVIRONMENT
DH_EXEC_SCRIPTDIR Indicates which directory the command-specific scripts should be sought for. If not specified, scripts will be searched for in /usr/share/dh-exec/. FILES
$DH_EXEC_SCRIPTDIR/dh-exec-illiterate-* The various scripts for the higher-level program. SEE ALSO
debhelper(1), dh-exec(1) AUTHOR
dh-exec-illiterate is copyright (C) 2011-2012 by Gergely Nagy <algernon@madhouse-project.org>. 2012-05-03 DH-EXEC-ILLITERATE(1)