Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Heap and stack
Top Forums Programming Heap and stack Post 302189868 by vino on Monday 28th of April 2008 05:43:27 AM
Old 04-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by andryk
Hi,
It'll be on stack i suppose and in general all variables declared inside a function will be on stack as well.
Code:
unsigned long sp(void) {
   asm("movl %esp, %eax");
}
void main() {
  int *a;

a=malloc(16*sizeof(int));
  printf ("addr of a is %p, sp is %p and malloc is %p\n",&a,sp(),a);
}

In the above case, a will point to the memory in the heap storage. Heap because of the malloc.

On the other hand, in the following case, a will point to a memory location in the stack.
Code:
int i = 10;
int *a = &i;

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

heap size!

I'm a new guy to this field and I'm learning a lot about UNIX! Can any explan to me what exactly does 'heap size' mean and how can i increase the size for AIX 4.3.3? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

heap size for JVM!

Hi all, Thanks 'thehoghunter' and 'hugo' for the comments! I've to increase the size of the heap size for AIX 4.3.3. Now what's the command that I've and also is it something similar to growing the file system in Solaris (growfs) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i2admin
1 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 5.3 Heap Memory with SAP

Any idea whether this parameter can be set / adjusted and where please? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnf
3 Replies

4. Programming

what is stack winding and stack unwinding

helo can u tell me what do you mean by stack winding and stack unwinding Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Heap fragementation on HPUX

The Resident size(as observed from top) of my process is increasing. But, the behaviour is very random. My process works on request reponse model. So when i put some request load on my process the memory starts increasing. For initial few hours (approx ~3 hrs) it increase at a rapid rate and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atgoel
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Heap fragmentation on HPUX

Hi All, We are facing issues on HPUX with the C heap region growing. We use a product for CRM by name ClarifyCRM and it uses a native layer for DB access. so there are best practices in place to actual control memory. recently we have seen issues that the C heap region is growing faster than... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramchand75
0 Replies

7. Programming

find size of heap allocated

I want to find the size of the total memory allocated on the heap for the following statement: int* a = new int;How can I use the sizeof operator for this? I used: printf("\t===> %d\n",sizeof(*a)); Is this statement correct? I have asked the question because when I checked the memory of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Stack vs User Mode Stack

Hi, I am new to the linux kernel development area. I want to know what is the difference between kernel mode stack and user mode stack? Does each process has a user mode stack and a kernel mode stack?? Or Each process has a user mode stack and there is only one kernel mode stack that is shared by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkoar
4 Replies
backtrace(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					      backtrace(3)

NAME
backtrace, backtrace_symbols, backtrace_symbols_fd -- call stack backtrace and display functions SYNOPSIS
#include <execinfo.h> int backtrace(void** array, int size); char** backtrace_symbols(void* const* array, int size); void backtrace_symbols_fd(void* const* array, int size, int fd); DESCRIPTION
These routines provide a mechanism to examine the current thread's call stack. backtrace() writes the function return addresses of the current call stack to the array of pointers referenced by array. At most, size pointers are written. The number of pointers actually written to array is returned. backtrace_symbols() attempts to transform a call stack obtained by backtrace() into an array of human-readable strings using dladdr(). The array of strings returned has size elements. It is allocated using malloc() and should be released using free(). There is no need to free the individual strings in the array. backtrace_symbols_fd() performs the same operation as backtrace_symbols(), but the resulting strings are immediately written to the file descriptor fd, and are not returned. EXAMPLE
#include <execinfo.h> #include <stdio.h> ... void* callstack[128]; int i, frames = backtrace(callstack, 128); char** strs = backtrace_symbols(callstack, frames); for (i = 0; i < frames; ++i) { printf("%s ", strs[i]); } free(strs); ... HISTORY
These functions first appeared in Mac OS X 10.5. SEE ALSO
dladdr(3), malloc(3) Mac OS X February 15, 2007 Mac OS X