Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problems with cut
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems with cut Post 302189810 by era on Monday 28th of April 2008 02:33:52 AM
Old 04-28-2008
You need to properly quote your variables when you echo them, otherwise the shell will trim whitespace. I'd advise against using echo at all, though.

But here's how to quote properly. To be a little bit on the safe side, I also zap IFS; I don't believe it's strictly necessary here, but it's a technique you should be aware of.

Code:
OLDIFS=$IFS
IFS='
' # just a newline, in single quotes
while read data
do
  MSISDN="`echo "$data" | cut -c1-10`"
  HOUR="`echo "$data" | cut -c11-16`"
  ID_SA_SOURCE="`echo "$data" | cut -c17-35`"
  ID_SA_DEST="`echo "$data" | cut -c36-54`"
done < $TRACKING_LOGDIR/$listdata
IFS=$OLDIFS

Having that out of the way, how about something like this?

Code:
awk '{ OFS=":"; print substr($0, 1, 10), substr($0, 11, 16),
    substr($0, 17, 35), substr($0, 17, 35) }' $TRACKING_LOGDIR/$listdata |
while IFS=: read MSISDN HOUR ID_SA_SOURCE ID_SA_DEST; do
  echo "'$HOUR': All your '$ID_SA_SOURCE' are '$ID_SA_DEST' to '$MSISDN'"
done

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)