Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problems with cut
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems with cut Post 302189800 by scorpio on Monday 28th of April 2008 12:53:18 AM
Old 04-28-2008
Problems with cut

Hi all,

0680046755000011 3040249 3005930 60180GPRS4Samsung_SGH_Z500

This is the format of my log file and parameters for log file are like

• 10 first characters: MSISDN
• 6 next characters: Hour
• 18 next characters: ID SA Source
• 18 next characters: ID SA Destination

I have 11 whitespaces in between my first and second colums.I need to cut fitst 10 char next 6 char and next 18 char(including white spaces) . and i tried follwing in my code

MSISDN=`echo $data | cut -c1-10`
HOUR=`echo $data | cut -c11-16`
ID_SA_SOURCE=`echo $data | cut -c17-35`
ID_SA_DEST=`echo $data | cut -c36-54`

But becos of whitespaces it is not cutting properly.. can any one suggest alternatives

Thnks

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
TRIM(3) 								 1								   TRIM(3)

trim - Strip whitespace (or other characters) from the beginning and end of a string

SYNOPSIS
string trim (string $str, [string $character_mask = " 0r B"]) DESCRIPTION
This function returns a string with whitespace stripped from the beginning and end of $str. Without the second parameter, trim(3) will strip these characters: o " " (ASCII 32 ( 0x20)), an ordinary space. o " " (ASCII 9 ( 0x09)), a tab. o " " (ASCII 10 ( 0x0A)), a new line (line feed). o " " (ASCII 13 ( 0x0D)), a carriage return. o "" (ASCII 0 ( 0x00)), the NUL-byte. o "x0B" (ASCII 11 ( 0x0B)), a vertical tab. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string that will be trimmed. o $character_mask - Optionally, the stripped characters can also be specified using the $character_mask parameter. Simply list all characters that you want to be stripped. With .. you can specify a range of characters. RETURN VALUES
The trimmed string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Usage example of trim(3) <?php $text = " These are a few words :) ... "; $binary = "x09Example stringx0A"; $hello = "Hello World"; var_dump($text, $binary, $hello); print " "; $trimmed = trim($text); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = trim($text, " ."); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = trim($hello, "Hdle"); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = trim($hello, 'HdWr'); var_dump($trimmed); // trim the ASCII control characters at the beginning and end of $binary // (from 0 to 31 inclusive) $clean = trim($binary, "x00..x1F"); var_dump($clean); ?> The above example will output: string(32) " These are a few words :) ... " string(16) " Example string " string(11) "Hello World" string(28) "These are a few words :) ..." string(24) "These are a few words :)" string(5) "o Wor" string(9) "ello Worl" string(14) "Example string" Example #2 Trimming array values with trim(3) <?php function trim_value(&$value) { $value = trim($value); } $fruit = array('apple','banana ', ' cranberry '); var_dump($fruit); array_walk($fruit, 'trim_value'); var_dump($fruit); ?> The above example will output: array(3) { [0]=> string(5) "apple" [1]=> string(7) "banana " [2]=> string(11) " cranberry " } array(3) { [0]=> string(5) "apple" [1]=> string(6) "banana" [2]=> string(9) "cranberry" } NOTES
Note Possible gotcha: removing middle characters Because trim(3) trims characters from the beginning and end of a string, it may be confusing when characters are (or are not) removed from the middle. trim('abc', 'bad') removes both 'a' and 'b' because it trims 'a' thus moving 'b' to the beginning to also be trimmed. So, this is why it "works" whereas trim('abc', 'b') seemingly does not. SEE ALSO
ltrim(3), rtrim(3), str_replace(3). PHP Documentation Group TRIM(3)