Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers pipe output to script as command line argument Post 302189562 by era on Saturday 26th of April 2008 12:59:41 PM
Old 04-26-2008
And the backticks don't fit that definition?

Anything you can do in a script, you can do on the command line, anyway.

For the general solution, xargs is probably closest to what you have in mind, but it doesn't interact nicely with find -exec, because they both want the {} for themselves. (Actually, you can in fact specify an alternate placeholder for xargs.)

Code:
echo fnord | xargs ls -l

would be the xargs way of saying "ls -l fnord", and

Code:
echo +4096 | xargs -i find . -xdev -type f -size {} -ls

would be something similar for find, albeit without the -exec.
This User Gave Thanks to era For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing command output as an argument to a shell script

Hi, I have a very small requirement where i need to pass command output as an argument while invoking the shell script.. I need to call like this sh testscript.sh ' ls -t Appl*and*abc* | head -n 1' This will list one file name as ana argument.. I will be using "$1" in the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for ftp files passed in command line argument

i want to write a shell script function that will ftp the files passed in the command line . i have written a shell script for ftp but how will it do for all files passed in command line argument , i am passing 4 files as argument ./ftp.sh file1 file2 file3 file4 code written by me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rateeshkumar
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any way of using rm command on output of pipe

Hi, I am having a list of directories with different login id's. My requirement is that i need to list the directories of my id and need to delete them. So i am using following code ls -ltr ¦ grep userid ¦ rm -rf But this is not working. So is there any way of doing it. Please note... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing value as a command line argument in awk script.

I have one working awk command line. Which taking data from the “J1202523.TXT” file and generating the “brazil.dat” file. PFB code. awk '{ DUNS = substr($0,0,9);if ( substr($0,14,3) == "089" ) print DUNS }' J1202523.TXT > Brazil.dat But now I want to pass two parameter as a command line argument... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaemo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe output a command to another using xargs

xargs work great when a command gives multiple line output which can be input to another. In my case it is not working coz the second command uses two words in it. $ scr.sh gives output like 193740 638102 375449 .. .. another command takes these number as inputs. it works great... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahesh113
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass command line argument in shell script?

I need to write a shell script, when I run that script I should pass those arguments if not, then script should not run and pass the error message like invalid option - - should pass the argument. and Exit from the script https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass command line argument in shell script?

I need to write a shell script, when I run that script I should pass those arguments if not, then script should not run and pass the error message like invalid option - - should pass the argument. and Exit from the script (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pipe command output to shell script?

Hi Team, Need a help on how to pipe a command out put to a shell script. My shell script looks like below. cat shell_script #!/usr/bin/ksh input =$@ echo " we are inside the shell script" echo " here are the input parameters" .......................... .................. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
11 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)