Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Piping Question
Top Forums Programming Piping Question Post 302189441 by reborg on Friday 25th of April 2008 07:43:20 PM
Old 04-25-2008
Ok, homework/coursework is not allowed here, but you appear to have a genuine effort so I am going to allow this thread to stay open.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping

I am using pipes (specifically piping out) in Perl to put an array from one file into an array in a different file. I can't figure out how to transfer the array. I kow how to open the pipe : open (FILEHANDLE, "| file") or die~ but how do I transfer the array. I think it has something to do with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lnatz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping / Executing

I've got a file with lots of commands I want to run in it. They're formatted like so: cp /path/to/file /path/to/new/file and on and on and on. Hundreds of them. Anyways, I'd like to execute them one at a time, then check what time it is, and repeat this process until 7am. I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProFiction
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping to ex from a script

Is anyone piping commands to ex from scripts? I.E. echo '%s/change this/to that/\nwq' | ex file.name I've been using it for years with AIX, Solaris, SGI, with variations ksh and Mandriva and others with pdksh. I've just started using CentOS with ksh and it no longer works. I've tried single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about grep, cut, and piping

Howdy folks, I am fairly new to scripting but have lost of expirience in c++, pascal, and a few other. I am trying to complete a file search script that is sent a file name containing data to search that is arranged like this "id","name","rating" "1","bob","7" etc and an argument to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dyrt
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping in Perl

Hi All, I am trying to perform the below csh code in Perl, but i am unfamiliar with Perl. Can anybody give me some advice on it ? Csh Code: cat filename |grep AAA| grep BBB| awk '{print("already_appended")' (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping syntax question

There are are lots of examples of piping output FROM the 'ls' command TO another command, but how does one pipe output TO the 'ls -l' command? For example, use 'which' to find a file, then use 'ls -l' to view the permissions, groups, etc. in a single step: which <filename> | ls -l returns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johne1
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping GREP

Hi, I need to use a double grep so to speak. I need to grep for a particular item say BOB and then for each successful result I need to grep for another item say SMITH. I tried grep "BOB" filename | grep "SMITH" but it does not seem to work. I can achieve my desired result using an... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
12 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frymor
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frymor
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping commands

Hi I am tryin to undertand piping command1|command2 from what i learn output of cammand 2 is an intput for command 1 right? If so . What dose next sequence do cat f1 >> f2 | grep '^' I think it takes context of f1 and Concatenate's it to f2 and then looks for ....i don't know..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: iliya24
7 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question record SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS::Question; $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); DESCRIPTION
A Net::DNS::Question object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10', 'PTR', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10'); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. One or both type and class arguments may be omitted and will assume the default values shown above. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in both in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa namespaces. decode $question = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); ($question, $offset) = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); Decodes the question record at the specified location within a DNS wire-format packet. The first argument is a reference to the buffer containing the packet data. The second argument is the offset of the start of the question record. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. An exception is raised if the object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). encode $data = $question->encode( $offset, $hash ); Returns the Net::DNS::Question in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet buffer. The optional arguments are the offset within the packet data where the Net::DNS::Question is to be stored and a reference to a hash table used to index compressed names within the packet. name $name = $question->name; Internationalised domain name corresponding to the qname attribute. Decoding non-ASCII domain names is computationally expensive and undesirable for names which are likely to be used to construct further queries. When required to communicate with humans, the 'proper' domain name should be extracted from a query or reply packet. $query = new Net::DNS::Packet( $example, 'ANY' ); $reply = $resolver->send($query) or die; ($question) = $reply->question; $name = $question->name; qname, zname $qname = $question->qname; $zname = $question->zname; Canonical ASCII domain name as required for the query subject transmitted to a nameserver. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zname() and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype $qtype = $question->qtype; $ztype = $question->ztype; Returns the question type attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as ztype() and refers to the zone type. qclass, zclass $qclass = $question->qclass; $zclass = $question->zclass; Returns the question class attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zclass() and refers to the zone class. print $object->print; Prints the record to the standard output. Calls the string() method to get the string representation. string print "string = ", $question->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c)1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c)2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c)2003,2006-2011 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, Net::DNS, Net::DNS::DomainName, Net::DNS::Packet, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.18.2 2014-01-16 Net::DNS::Question(3)